“Really delicious, pleasant experience”
Review of The Hunting Lodge

The Hunting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Can't believe people are saying the food is rubbish, what are you talking about!?! We went to eat on a Tuesday for the early bird menu (2 courses for £7.95, before 6.30pm). We were not expecting large portions for the price. However, we could not have been more pleased with the food. Absolutely delicious, tastes homemade. Generous portions for the price. Not just frozen veg either. Piping hot. Lovely pub, nice atmosphere and friendly waitresses. Really pleasantly surprised and will definitely recommend and return soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed as part of the annual reunion, the food was terrible and I couldn't eat it. The room was fine and we slept quite well until woken very early by noisy heating, but the breakfast was also disappointing and not up to their usual standard.

I also agree about the packed bar, unfortunately due to the bad weather, but you only had to see the forecast to know and put contingency plans in place - poor organisation and management. I did hear a few whispers about moving the venue and think this might be a good idea.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank wishboneWestSussex
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Attended our annual reunion on Saturday which was a fantastic event as always.

As a venue this works really well when the weather is fine as the large beer garden allows everyone to spread out and circulate. However, on this occasion the weather was cold and showery which meant that the @300 guests were all packed into the bar area which is just not up to this volume.

Rather disappointingly was that despite the reunion being held here every year since at least 2007 with the owners knowing the numbers attending, only had 4 bar staff on duty for most of the day, which was totally inadequate and pure bad planning.

The packed bar made it virtually impossible to circulate and there were many, many old friends I did not get the opportunity to see.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin G
Gavin H, Manager at The Hunting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Martin,

Thank you for you review. I can only apologies that you didn't receive the level of service you expected at The Hunting Lodge on the day of the Army Reunion. We do try our best to make sure all our guests leave happy and this occasion we have not. On the day in question we did have 6 staff on the daytime and 11 on all evening from between 5 / 6pm but were caught unaware when quite a lot of our guests arrived earlier than we expected as normally people seemed to arrive later afternoon. We have noted this and next year we will be making sure we are fully staffed from an earlier time. Hopefully next year the weather will be nice and if not we will make sure the Garden Gazebo's are sign posted so people can go and relax outside and circulate a bit more.
Many Thanks
Gavin

Reviewed 24 April 2013

When booking B&B in England, one presumes full English, especially at these prices. It is not made clear on the website that the breakfast is continental.Even the member of staff who served us at breakfast said she couldn't see any mention of it just being continental. Wood chip on the ceiling in the Feng Shui room along with poorly plastered walls and horrible dirty blind in the bathroom. Cold rooms. Disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChHHerts
Reviewed 27 March 2013

(stayed March) I never right reviews but I felt like I had to. We stayed in the fagin room for two nights. Firstly the room is stunning and has alot of character. I felt like the room was a little cold because its very large and the time of year. Without asking we recieved an extra heater, the manager must have overheard me saying it. The staff are more than happy to help. I was given extra coffee with our compimentary breakfast and extra toast without any fuss. The hotel manager gave us films to watch so we could have a restful night in. staff were friendly and welcoming.

We had a drink and ate dinner in the resturant. I have a lasagne and my partner had a steak. The food is made to order and you can refil on sides free of charge. Not overpriced for the quality of food. I wished we had eaten in there again but we wanted to venture out of the hotel. I'm a chef and i was impressed.
It was our aniverary and my parter has a racing experience close to the hotel. It made our aniversary and is easily the best hotel i've stayed in

Go stay, go eat but visit this place

Room Tip: We stayed in the fagin room, stay in the fagin room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I should ignore the previous comment about it being an awful place being run by children !! How condescending. Perhaps these people just don't know how to interract with the 'younger' generation ?? We had a wonderful experience (January 2013)... Fabulous food; staff very helpful (and young)... Superb surroundings (decor, ambience). Our food was amazing. Thank you everyone !
We just came for a meal (not the rooms), although they look gorgeous too !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

Didn't stay so can't comment on accommodation but have to agree with the various negative comments. Food is boil in the bag rubbish and staff just children
No management to be seen
First and last time for me

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank exhpart
ProbablyDirector, Owner at The Hunting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

I was surprised to read your comments and urge you to contact me via our website as I would very much like you to visit us again. During December we do run a limited menu along side a Christmas Choice and worry you may have mis judged us. I assure you many of our staff have been with us several years and we always have a senior manager on shift.
I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughborough
1 mi away
3 mi away
Rothley Court
Rothley Court
#1 of 1 in Rothley

Been to The Hunting Lodge? Share your experiences!