“A Gem”

Ranked #2 of 13 Lockerbie B&B and Inns
Cambria, California
“A Gem”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

As a single older woman traveling alone I often wonder how I will be received and treated. My arrival at the Somerton House was very cordial. The room was lovely. All the meals there were excellent. The staff were always helpful. Stayed 3 days.

I plan to take my family there in 2013.

Hannah M.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood. The road in front (I had a front room) never caused any prob...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
ricrhys
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Greeted by quite a short mannered woman who didn't seem to pleased to see us. The room was nice and clean as was everywhere else. The food in the evening could have been great but I had a mixed grill and wasn't asked how I wanted any of it cooked, it all came very well done and I like it rare, shame. Breakfast was good though and the morning staff were a lot more welcoming. Maybe that woman was just having a bad night, we gave it a six out of ten.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ricrhys
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I took my 87 year old Grandad here for his birthday but unfortunately it wasn't a great experience.

The older waitress was impatient and took our order while a member of the party was at the rest rooms, she seemed upset that I wasn't going to order for them while they were away.

It continued badly when they didn't have the Venison starter I wanted so I had to settle for the Brie. It was tiny with an overpowering raspberry coulis which spoiled the taste of the cheese.

For mains I ordered the Seabass which when it came was sour, the smell was horrific and it had a green tinge to it. I sent it back suggesting it wasn't fresh. The manager appeared and suggested it was the oil used that might have caused the taste. I find this unlikely as the smell was definitely sour fish which other parties at the table mentioned as it was served. To their credit, they were very accepting of this (saying "perhaps it wasn't to your taste sir") and offered me to choose something else from the menu. I ordered the duck which "arrived" 15 mins later and looked suspiciously like a braised steak. One bite confirmed it, just as one of the waitresses arrived to take it back as it was the wrong meal. On tasting it I can safely say I'm glad I didn't order it, bland doesn't do it justice.

My duck then finally arrived. Slightly overdone but reasonably tasty. The sauce however was too orangey and a bit jelly like in parts. The potatoes, carrots & broccoli were overcooked and the portion sizes were also particularly poor.

My partner ordered the venison for main which had a good gamey taste but was very tough.

Mistakes happen but I cannot forgive the sour Seabass or the impatient waitress. It seems like a restaurant which is trying too hard to be 'fancy' but just hasn't got the basics right. Perhaps I'm spoiled with such a wealth of great restaurants in Edinburgh, but the borders deserves better from a place with a reputation.

Someone needs to have a rethink about the service and the food with an emphasis on quality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mullac42
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

A large party of us ate at the Somerton tonight. Yes it was a nice meal although one or two small potatoes on a gents plate did not exactly fulfill a gents apetite.
We had a choice of two courses for £13 or three courses for £16. The choices were steak pie, gammon or chicken. So yes I think what they charged was fair for the food provided however we were gobsmacked to find they had charged us £3.50 for 6 small extra rolls which we asked for. Considering the bill was around £350 I was disgusted with this extra charge for a few extra rolls and the lack of potatoes on the main meal. I would also like to mention the excellent service from the two young girls but the attitude of the older waitress was curt and impatient .

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Fusspot251
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Ate in the newly refurbished Conservatory. Food was well presented, tasty and good value for money. Main meal was Sea bass fillet on a bed of rice with lobster pieces...very good

Room Tip: Did not stay at the Hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Brian and Kim and their team work 24/7 to insure your comfort and every need - lots of excellent food and good helpful advice for the tourist - the rooms are spacious and perfect - both for cleanliness and decor

Brian and Kim -thank you for a most wonderful stay and all your "looking after" Carol, Joe your dear old friends and your new friend Leo!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We arrived late in a breakdown truck with no booking after our car broke down on the M74 during the bank holiday !!
Very glad to say they happily squeezed us in ..... the staff could not have been more helpfull. We found the the service, selection of food and quality served to be excellent. We will definitely make the point of staying with them again.
A BIG Thanks!!!