“Enjoyable Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Lockerbie B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Family Sunday lunch at Somerton House was lovely. Staff friendly, nice setting, food good. We all plumped for the Turkey roast. Generous portion of moist turkey and perfectly cooked vegetables.
Deserts a bit of a mixture though - I had peach melba which consisted of tinned peaches, cream and meringue! Partner had a really nice cheesecake (although it looked bought in) it was quite nice and he had no complaints. Altogether a pleasant Sunday afternoon lunch.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrsbeeandbee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel is a little off the beaten track and suffers as it doesnlt appear on many o fthe search engines or corporate travel sites....However, my colleagues and I stay here whenever we are in the area.

It came recommended by one of the staff at a site we were workign on, the prices are more than reasonable, the staff are ever helpful and epitomise the phrase "going the extra mile, for the customer" they are always cheerful. The town itself struggle sin terms of nightlife, but the Somerton's hotel and bar always seems to have someone in it....it has a really cosy feel to it.

The food is excellent, I've never had a bad meal here. The bar is well stocked and offer a range of draught beers, ciders & lagers, The house wine is particularly good (especially the red!) and they have a staggering array of whiskies.

There are other hotels in the area, I've stayed at all of them, this one is definitely the best value, atmosphere, food and staff!

I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone travelling in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5, unless you like it cosy!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times in the past. Every time I am in Lockerbie it is dark, wet and miserable, so when I pull up into the car park of the Somerton, looking up at the old building I feel like I am about to become a victim in a whodunnit !!

Somerton House a very old feel to it, and entering the foyer you feel like it hasnt changed in 40 years (which it probably hasnt). It has 'character' some would say.. I'd say it needs a lick of paint, but heyho it is quite a warming atmosphere, although not sure if thats the central heating been put up to 'tropical' to acccomodate the blue rinse brigade's daily lunch get togethers..

Anyhow the rooms are quite old fashioned but nice to be fair and the beds have given me a decent night sleep. Free wifi that has a good connection which is another tick in the box. Bathroom ok as well.. So far so good.

Both times I've had dinner I've not been overly impressed.. Plenty of fish options, but the breaded haddock was a bit like the one I'd get out of a box from Birdseye. The chicken dish was a little better but not anything out of the ordinary.. Breakfast was again - ok.. I've had better full Scottish's. I was asked if I wanted beans, which I said 'yes' and promptly wasnt provided with any. That said the Irish fella who seemed to work evening, days and afters (maybe they spared him a couple of hours during the night) was such a friendly and chatty guy, that I didnt have the heart to tell him about the beans error..

Having said all that I actually have a soft spot for this hotel. It's cheap without being too nasty and it has a bit of character to it, so it will certainly be the hotel of choice when I next visit Lockerbie (not that I really want to visit Lockerbie again....)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank trickrik
Lockerbie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have just experienced the most wonderful wedding reception we could ever hope for.
Married at sea, last month we chose the Somerton to stage a dinner for 30 of our closest family and a disco party with buffet for 50 other friends and family.
The management was first class. The food was delicious. The venue was exactly what we wanted for 80 guests. The disco / karaoke was fandabbidozy. The buffet plentiful and tasty. The prices for dinner and all drinks were affordable and not an exercise rip off techniques.
Hotels depend on word of mouth . This hotel is going to be very busy.
Thank you Brian and all staff for "making our day."

Room Tip: Big red sandstone mansion, so rooms are big and comfy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Had dinner here on the 29th September with friends who stay In Lockerbie.
Staff were friendly, quick service and very good food. Hotel was busy for food which is always good. Will defiantly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel because it seemed ideal for touring the area and we were very pleased that we did. Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and well furnished.The bed and pillows were comfy. The menu for dinner was varied with plenty of non-meat options. A breakfast menu would be an idea - I had scrambled eggs but didn't like to ask for mushrooms in case there weren't any! The staff were friendly and helpful and I liked the late-1800s charm of the old doctor's house. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Always such a friendly welcome. The rooms are spotless and very comfortable. Dinner and breakfast always superb. I travel all over the U.K., and my only regret is that I can't find another Somerton House at all my other destinations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business