“Quite liked my stay”
Review of Radbroke Barn

Radbroke Barn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knutsford
Radbroke Barn
Ranked #13 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Quite liked my stay”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Radbroke Barn should not be confused with a typical B&B or a hotel, it is not.

"The Barn" is basically open Monday - Friday and is used by IT contractors working at the Barclays Radbroke Hall complex. Many of the people staying here have stayed for several months, some people for 1 year plus, so it can't be that bad.

There are 2 typical room types, without desk that is approx £30 +VAT per night, and "Millionaires row" (as the owner calls it) that is approx £35 +VAT per night. If you are staying long term you will be assigned a room, this is very handy as you do not have to lug all your belongings back and forth come the weekend.

The room price includes a cooked breakfast or cereals. The dining room has a communal fridge freezer and Microwave to cook an evening meal. Granted, no cooked food is on offer, but this is not a hotel or B&B in the typical sense. Most evenings the people staying there will congregate in the dining room and have a few/lot of drinks, the owner James will normally roll in with a bottle of Wine or 2.

I stayed in 2 different rooms during my stay, I moved room as I am very tall and the Owner James thought I would be more comfortable in a different bed. Both rooms were clean and had tea/coffee making facilities.

I believe I know the reviewer London_UKGary, if it is he person I think it is, "Gary" had a personality conflict with the owner James, although could be someone I have not met.

I eventually left The Radbroke Barn and got a room in a B&B in Knutsford as I did not have a car with me, the Radbroke Barn is a little isolated if you do not have a car. Although my new B&B was nice enough I was paying £45inc VAT per night, got no breakfast, no communal fridge or microwave and no social aspect in the evenings. If I was staying longer at Barclays I would have moved back into the Radbroke Barn.

The only thing that I would have really liked would have been an ironing board and Iron in my room, a communal board and iron is available, but would be nice to have one dedicated to the room.

The Internet speed is very slow, this is not due to the owner placing any sort of limit but that the barn of a long way from the exchange and the are the barn is located generally has very slow Internet access, it is free so why whine about it.

As above I would stay again. I found the owner James to be a nice fellow who was happy to help me out with anything that I asked (I should have asked for a iron in my room). He had lots of interesting stories, and I really liked the guy.

People typically use tripadvisor to vent frustrations, so I thought I would try to add some balance to the reviews.

Mike

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Mike D

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Unfortunately not a good place to stay. Rooms are basic and very small, poorly furnished, dated and tatty. Tea and coffee making facilities almost non existent. Bed was hard and uncomfortable and the time I stayed the room was not cleaned at all, surely a basic element of any guest house. Breakfast is not much better and there is no option for evening meals apart from a drive into the local town. The chap that runs it can be somewhat ascerbic and rude.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank London_UKGary

Travellers are raving about these Knutsford hotels

Berkshire
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Rooms are very tired! Every room I stayed in had bugs somewhere. One time I had to be moved as the room was infested with ants which were crawling all in my belongings, there were always wood lice around the skirting boards and in the bathroom. When I was moved, I had to stay in a room in the actual landlord's house (which was not nice), and I was still charged full price without any apologies!!

Broadband is rubbish and capped to something like 50k/sec per connection! Always dropped out and found that my internet dongle was much faster!

You have to stay for the full week otherwise the landlord (James) will ask to 'move you on' as he starts giving you a lecture about how much money he is loosing by not having you there for the full four nights of the week!! Very unprofessional.

I was appalled when he said I had to go due to only staying for three nights for two weeks as I worked from home for that day.

I am SO glad I did find another B&B/Guesthouse, I have found a wonderful place for basically the same price and only 10 minutes away in Pickmere, I will be giving them a glowing recommendation as they are what you would expect. Broadband is strong and fast and everyone there is so nice. The rooms are great compared to Radbroke Barn.

The way Radbroke Barn treats people and maintains the B&B is terrible. I hope this helps people and will save people from wasting their money and having a very bad experience. When you are working away from home all week it would be nice to have the experience as pleasurable as possible, but I found the couple of month I spent at Radbroke Barn NOT pleasurable at all.

I hope this will spur others to write an accurate review of this place as I don't believe they deserve the busioness.

Thanks for reading.