“Poor, Amateurish Provincial Hotel”

Cottons Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The Cottons, huum, how do you describe a place like this? Let’s start with the parking, plenty of it, booking in great, general ambience good, free WIFI good.

Now let’s look at where it fails on many levels, bar service – you should not have to wait when there is no one else in the bar, rooms – pedestrian / outdated, in room drinks – no coffee and sour milk tubs.

So would I stay there, not by choice, I did not try the food, so cannot comment, it seems to be staffed by amateurs playing at being a hotel staff, apologies but that is what it felt like.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve5839
CottonsHotel, General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us. It is good to read that you did have some positives regarding your stay, but I fully understand that you have experienced some poor operational standards which have clearly not impressed you at all.

I would like to say that I am totally disappointed and truly embarrassed by your comments. Having started here as General Manager only 9 weeks ago, this is the worst feedback we have had here for a very long time. It clearly gives me the drive to ensure that we never get feedback like this again and we will really push to improve our service in all areas.

I shared your comments with the team and It really hit home that we need to encourage, re train, engage and deliver our service and product in a much more focused and professional way going forward.

We do have areas of the hotel that are due for refurbishment and we will be starting to improve those areas over the coming months. Despite those areas showing signs of age, we pride ourselves on offering good levels of customer service, and we clearly failed in this case.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in person if you have time, and if we get the chance to welcome you back again, I can assure you that you would experience the level of service our customers have come to expect.

Thank you once again for giving us your honest feedback, and I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Walker

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Well we arrived early afternoon on Friday to enjoy a couple of Spa treatments and a nice relaxing evening away from our three year old. All was going well, treatment was really nice, a good back massage followed by a swim, sauna and then steam room.

We then went for dinner, I asked to sit down a bout 30 minutes before our booking time and was told that they couldn't fit us in to a resteraunt with barely 20 people in it! When we did sit down thirty minutes later we sat in one of the empty tables that had been empty all night!!! Weird! The starter arrived and my wifes was very nice, mine was also nice until I discovered one of my Tempora Prawns had not been cleaned properly, black bits inside the batter. When we told the wattress she said she would speak to the head chef! The reply back was quite stunning, we were told that it just hadn't been cleaned properly and wouldn't do me any harm! So effectively it is OK to eat prawn poo? Not wanting to cause a scene we just left it at that! Dinner was pretty good with no complaint, then desert arrived! Well I have no idea what it was, we ordered Chocholate shortbread, I have no idea what the chef thought shortbread was supposed to look like, put it this way whatever it was supposed to be it wasn't shortbread! We tried a little and left a lot!

It's a real shame because all that said we had a nice break and the breakfast was a lot better than dinner!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us on your recent stay. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and disappointed with the concerns you raised with your evening meal.

We have been working on the point you raised regarding the table plan and seating times and have made it clear to our team that we must accommodate guests when requested if we have the space and free tables as required. We try to space the bookings out to give our guests the best possible service as we do not want all the tables to be seated at the same time as this slows service and causes delays during dinner.

Please may I sincerely apologies for the issued raised with your prawn starter, this has been fed back to our Head Chef for immediate action to ensure that this type of incident does not happen again. I can say with my hand on my heart that this dish has been on our menu since 1993 and we have never experienced an issue like this before. That said, you're dish was not right and I am truly sorry.

I would be very happy for you to contact me directly at the hotel if you choose to stay with us again in the near future to reassure you that we have put in place further procedures to ensure this does not happen again.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your visit to us at Cottons. I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 March 2014

there was a group of 13 of us staying for a hen party. 7 stayed on the friday night and the rest came the saturday.
there was a power cut as we got there. they were more than accomidating. a free bottle of wine for us while we waited to be checked in.
we wasnt told that we had to check in with a card and that they would freeze £100 on it. this was inconvieant as we where sharing rooms we all brought it as cash and we couldnt check our bank balances as the wifi wasnt on because of the power cut. this £100 was for each room and we had 5 over the 2 days.
the rooms where lovely. clean, well stocked and comfatable. best shower ever i want one for home.
the staff where amazing with us(apart from the reception staff who were inconsistant. giving wrong info etc) . especially in the drunken state we was in on the friday night!
we was moved on the sat from one room but our next wasnt ready till after 1 which we wasnt happy with as we had to store our luggage in our other room. which ment there was 7 ppls luggage for 2 days in one room!!! however there was wedding guests being checked in when i went down to check. i felt like they where struggling to clean the rooms in time and where priortising in the wrong places. somebody had left there dirty dishes out from room service and it took over 24hours for somebody to move them
however i would definatly stay again and i am planning a trip to the spa as we speak!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
CottonsHotel, General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay, and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was at the Cottons for business, staying over the night before. I was impressed with everything about the hotel, from the common areas to the bars and apparently (although I did not use it myself) the spa is also excellent.

I ate in the restaurant and the food was very good, served by great staff.

The room I was staying in was set out very well with a separate landing area with a desk for your laptop.

The events staff the next day were also very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and have passed your comments onto our team.

It is always good to get such positive comments and this always helps us to improve and reward the good service our team genuinely deliver on a consistent basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Currently on a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel and took advantage of the spa facilities today. Having gone down at 6 45 looking for dinner we were told that the then, completely empty restaurant could not accomodate us until 8 45 . After significant debate and discussion we were eventually told that we could order from the same menu if we were happy to sit in the bar. So we made our way to the bar and it was quite some time before anyone came to take our food or drink order. Starters arrived fairly quickly but prawn cocktail was missing the bread. Asvno one came back to us for an hour the starter had been well finished by then. After an hour we did ask where our mains were and also pointed out the missing bread. Unfortunately this appeared to wash over the head of the young waiter despite us pointing out that this was rather an expensive starter for it to be incomplete.
The food when it arrived was good but the poor service definitely let it down.
unlike previous reviewers we were not offered anything as an apology for either the incomplete starter orcthe poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
CottonsHotel, General Manager at Cottons Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delays you experienced in our bar during dinner service. We will share your comments with our service team to ensure we address the reasons why this happened and improve our service moving forward.

We must ensure that we pay more attention to the dish presentation and not forget any items to accompany our dishes as we did here.

It is always advisable to pre book your table either at check in or when you book your room as the hotels restaurant is very busy on a Friday and Saturday evening, I was pleased to see that you were offered the menu in the bar so not to disappoint. We did however fail to provide the service we have become known for and we will work on improving this from your comments.

If you decide to return to our hotel sometime in the near future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us next time.

Thank you once again for you comments.

Regards

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I, along with our 14 year old son, stayed here as an Anniversary Treat. The trip coincided with a junior tennis tournament in nearby Hale. We would normally stay at the nearest Premier Inn for these tennis excursions, but, because it was our wedding anniversary, we thought we'd treat ourselves!
The Hotel façade is lovely! It is the same inside, bright and modern. Exceptionally clean too.
Check-in was swift, with everything explained in detail. We booked a table for dinner when we checked in. We were told the restaurant was busy, as there was an on-going wedding that evening......a table wouldn't be available until 9pm. As we'd travelled the 4hrs from Ayrshire, and we'd specifically chosen the Cottons Hotel for the Pool and Spa, the late restaurant booking wasn't an issue for us......and it gave us a bit more time in the outdoor Jacuzzi!
Our Family Room was brilliant. Big double bed and a double sofa bed, easily big enough to cope with our 5'11" son! The room was nice and clean, easy to operate heating system and immaculate bathroom. We were on the ground floor, in 137, nice and quiet, no issues at all.
The Spa was superb! Huge pool, with sauna and steam-room. All immaculately clean. Fresh white fluffy towels were provided by the nice chap at the Spa reception. The outdoor Jacuzzi was my personal favourite! Six degrees outside, but lovely and warm in the water, looking out over the tennis courts and garden. Brilliant!
We changed for dinner, and arrived at the restaurant at 10 to 9. We were told our table wasn't quite ready, and were shown to the bar, where we could wait and enjoy some drinks. We were given the menus at this time too, and the "taste of Cheshire" buffet was explained in full.
At a quarter to 10, we were still waiting at the bar. We'd had two rounds of drinks, and accepted the mixed breads and dips as our starter. We ate these at the bar, but it still isn't quite the same as sitting down at your table...... The restaurant staff were excellent though, they apologised for the delay, and kept assuring us that our table was just being prepared..... eventually, just before 10pm, we did get shown to our table. Our starters arrived fairly quickly, chicken liver parfait for us and mixed melon for our son. By now however, after our long day, we were beginning to fade......
Our finished starters were cleared quickly away, but our mains took forever to arrive. At one point, a member of staff came to us, and asked if we had in fact ordered a main course! Around three quarters of an hour later, the main course appeared. We were by now, out for the count, and not really wanting to commence our main evening meal a few minutes shy of 11 0'clock!
Our extreme disappointment must've been apparent on our faces, as the restaurant manager, "Natalie" approached our table. She was exceptionally nice and apologised fully for the length of time we had been kept waiting for service. My wife explained the reason for our being in Manchester, and that we had specifically chosen Cottons Hotel for our anniversary treat. Natalie was brilliant, and empathised completely with our obvious disappointment.
After our main course meal, we were just ready for bed. We planned to have a dessert and coffee, then our favourite Baileys at the bar, but we were sadly in no mood for that, after the delayed meal.
The beds were lovely and comfy. Junior slept right through the night, but my wife and I woke around 3am, and just couldn't get back to sleep. The room was lovely and quiet and cosy, but I
think the disappointment of our evening meal was still playing on our minds a bit!
Breakfast in the morning though was superb! We were shown to our table and the breakfast choices explained to us. Best breakfast ever! We all opted for the hot selection - bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, toast, tomatoes etc. and you could still enjoy cereals, yoghurt, fruit etc.from the other counter area. Pots of tea and coffee were brought to the table. It was great, no complaints at all!
Natalie was still on duty in the restaurant for the breakfast serving. She came up to us again and asked how we were, apologising once again for our disappointing dinner experience. Her customer service skills are outstanding! She seemed genuinely upset that we'd been left to feel let down and that our anniversary meal had been spoiled.....
Upon checking out, around 11am, we had to queue for a few minutes. I imagine this was due to the departure of the wedding guests from the previous evening.
At reception, when asked how we had enjoyed our stay, my wife explained her bitter disappointment with our evening meal. The Duty Manager was summoned, and poor Natalie came to see us again! She was brilliant. She took my wife and I to the side, and apologised once again for the previous nights service. She offered to personally ensure that we had an unforgettable stay at Cottons, if at any time in the future, we had cause to visit the Manchester area. Natalie was so sincere, nice and apologetic, that my wife became quite emotional, and started filling up! Natalie saw this and helped again with a cuddle!
As we were leaving, Natalie was waiting for us in the foyer..... Another very humbling apology offered, along with a bottle of Champagne!
Natalie has gone a long way to ensure these particular guests have left her hotel feeling somewhat cheerier than they could have done!
Natalie's Customer Service Skills - Outstanding.
Next time we're in Manchester, we'd definitely give this place another chance.
Our Review would've been a big tick in the "excellent" box had it not been for the disappointing service during our evening meal.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting such a detailed review on your experience at our hotel.

We will ensure that we work hard to improve the time taken between course to avoid such delays in future.

I was really please that you felt that Natalie dealt with your concerns and was there to support and resolve the issues the morning after.

We will discuss your comments at our operations meeting and make sure that we put in place actions to improve our food service times going forward.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed for the weekend after bidding for it in a charity auction. We don't usually stay in large hotels for pleasure, preferring a country pub, but this place has changed my mind! The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was lovely, spacious and clean with the added touch of bathrobes, fresh milk and coffee and a fridge. We played tennis, swam, used the gym and even ventured Into the outdoor hot tub, bliss. I had a wonderful facial, the spa staff are professional and skilled. We ate in the bar both nights, lots of cosy nooks and crannies and even a wood burner. Food was good and reasonably priced. It was refreshing to see some quality beers on tap too for the other half ! Well worth a visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us a Cottons.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and extra small details that made your stay more memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Regards

Philip Walker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre
Alderley Edge Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Cottons Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!