“PERFECT.....”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have just stayed at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, Knutsford. We read lots of reviews on trip advisor and Booking.com. We did not know what to expect as it had very mixed reviews, so we thought we would chance it.

Well It was fantastic. The staff were really attentive, Very Friendly and Great service. The bedroom was beautiful (no dust) as some of the other reviews said there was dust in the room. Beautiful views of the lake and grounds. Brown's restaurant was really nice food too. We had a special deal for £149 including our meal of (£30 each) towards it. It was outstanding. The staff were so lovely and friendly and we can't wait to go back again.

So don't always believe bad reviews as I am going to start believing this myself. Or we might not have experienced this fabulous hotel. It is only 12 weeks old so It is bound to have a few teething problems, but we did not experience any at all.

See you again soon The Mere Golf Resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view, it's outstanding.....
1  Thank cocochannel21
Tom D, Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Thank-you so much for staying with us.

Your fantastic review will be passed to the whole of The Mere team to show them their efforts do not go un-noticed.

Thank-you also for taking the time to speak to me prior to your arrival.

We would love to welcome you back to The Mere, please feel free to contact me prior to your next stay so I can thank-you personally for such a lovely review.

Tom Davies

Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I booked a night here to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday along with her two daughters. The deal we got was very good value and the hotel did not dissapoint on the special scale , it really does have wow factor. This is generally due to the location of the hotel and a beautiful and sympathetic conversion of a gem of an old building,.standing in stunning grounds. We were lucy enough to have fantastic weather and this helped to make the place look picture perfect, I felt like I was in California not Cheshire, everything was so manicured and beautiful. As a local I felt pround that we have this gem close by and aesthetically I would be happy to recomend this hotel to some of our overseas friends who are used to very high standards. Unfortunately, as is all too common in Great Britain I find, the service and attention to keeping things clean and smooth running lets the Mere down. I dont know why it is that staffing levels are always inadequate in places like this but the service in the restaurant could have been better, and the food was very meagre in portion size. We had the sea bass and I swear it was just two tiny pieces the size of a matchbox, with one tiny potatoe. When asked if my dinner was OK , I told the waiter that I was actually still hungry and why, he expressed his apology, and said he would see what could be done, but that was the last we heard of it.
At breakfast the next morning we were seated at a table that included velvet upholstered banquette style seating which was dirty from the previous evenings diners, litered with crumbs and food debris, this is unacceptable and unhygenic, I would be genuinly surprised if they do not have mice. The breakfast however was good, with quick service of tea, coffee and thankfully toast, which is refreshing as my pet hate in hotels is do it yourself toast, also quality orange juice and fresh fruit, which again is a good barometer of standards. It is a pity as other reviewers have pointed out that during good weather it was not possible to eat outdoors as the view from the club house terrace is stunning, and I found Browns to be quite stuffy both in temperature and atmosphere. Certainly this restaurant is Ill positioned, just plonked next to reception in an atrium with no windows, given the fantastic possibilites of the site.
The rooms however, exceeded my expectations, they were really nicely furnished, clean and comfortable, and given that we had the lowest room category we had a great view of the mere. At check in one of our rooms was not availabel at 2pm and our request for adjacent rooms was not met, even though one room had an interconnecting door we were not allocated the adjoining room. . My sister found the room too dark for her taste but the windows opened which was a bonus as we both hate air con. I would add that if you book twin beds as we did, there is no space between them, they are basically a king bed made up of two twins side by side with seperate bedding.. The bathrooms are lovely with under floor heating, a great illuminated magnifying mirror.and twin basins with good quality toiletries.
The spa is very beautiful, treatment rooms just like they are portrayed , dark luxurious and candle lit, with very proffesional staff who managed to make you feel cossetted and special. Quite pricey, but definately a five star experience, it did live up to its hype with flowers and gorgeous scents, iced jugs of water and womb like relaxation room with individual I pod docks and electonically operated beds. First Class. The pool and facilities were honestly the best I have encountered, with robes, slippers anfd towlells aplenty , a real luxury experience.Only one complaint was that we booked the Rasul , which was advertised as taking place in the turret and in a rasul chamber , this was not the case. It took place in a normal treatment toom and was not a true Rasul experience, I know what I am talking about as I have had many. They are always in ceramic purose build self contained chambers with an incorporated shower ceiling, temple like in appearance, heated amd exotic with generous clay bowls of mud not tiny little plastic pots, a steam room and shower cubicle. This was a second class experience and let the spa down in my opinion. A little bit too much emphasis on selling products was another little niggle, when you have just spent a fortune to feel relaxed the last thing you want is to be haulled off to get the high pressure sell of the products they used, you just want to enjoy the bliss and be left alone for a while. .
So overall a great hotel with the wow factor, on the whole very pleasant staff, and a world class luxury spa, but some improvements needed in catering and cleaning if they are not to let the hotel down.

Room Tip: Ask for a mere view, unless you want extra space the club rooms are more than adequate so dont bothe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank cheshirecaz59
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My first comment would be make sure you read the directions carefully on the website before you go, we ended up driving in the exit as the signs very small and not easily seen. We checked into the Spa and the couple of days of relaxation started. The staff were very attentive and knowledgable and the spa facilities were very clean and nicely layed out. Once we had relaxed in the spa we checked into the hotel. Again the staff were very attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The meal in Browns was wonderful, Food was lovely. A little mix up with the side orders was fixed and the waiters and managers were all very attentive. My only comment would be avoid room 100, there were noises from the early morning and the our relaxing lyin was shattered at 8am with the gardeners mowing directly outside our window. The Browns breakfast was wonderful with a vast amount of choice with very attentive waiting staff. Overall the two days stay in The Mere was wonderful and relaxing. We have visited numerous spa and this is one of the best we have visited.

Room Tip: Avoid room 100 if you can
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for taking time to write such a lovely review.

We take great pride in delivering excellent customer service and clearly we have delivered this for you.

We too believe our Spa is one of the best in the country which has recently been awarded '5 bubbles' by the independent Good Spa Guide, the highest accolade they can offer.

I will also speak to our gardeners to ensure they cut the grass a little later outside the bedrooms.

Many thanks once again, and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Mere soon,

Reviewed 31 July 2012

It is difficult to get the balance right in this review of the restaurant, as some of the problems encountered are not easily fixed. First of all, the food was fantastic, though slightly expensive. All of the staff were excellent, but the location and ambience were poor. The restaurant is situated in a vast open space which is actually the reception of the hotel. Therefore, intimate dining is difficult. Added to that there is a Reception room, usually with loud disco, situated next to the dining area. Therefore, the solo pianist is occasionally drowned out, by the disco music, which meant he had to play louder, and conversation was therefore difficult. Without doubt, the restaurant needs to be enclosed. Otherwise, great food!

Room Tip: My location mark relates to the restaurant only.
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed for one night and found the location to be wonderful with very nice helpful staff. Our room was really lovely with a wonderful outlook and a very comfy bed. We were not disturbed at all in the night by any sort of noise even though there was a wedding reception in the hotel.
The room was mostly clean but there was dust behind the TV and in a few other places and a couple of the essential bathroom items were not provided. Our main course at dinner was a bit of a disappointment as we had ordered one sirloin steak and one veal which carried a surcharge of £9.00 on the steak and £8.50 on the veal, both the veal and steak were very tough and not at all enjoyable. Our starter and dessert were excellent and thinking back we should have complained about the meat as they did come and check if everything was okay, but it was very busy and we had waited a long time for our main meal as it was.

Overall it was a very nice experience in a lovely location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for taking your time to review The Mere.

Thank-you for mentioning our high levels of customer service the team will be delighted to read your feedback, which I will pass onto them personally.

I have noted your point about dust behind the TV's and I know on your return visit and for all future guests this will not be an issue.

I have also passed on your feedback to the food and beverage team about your meal and I am delighted to read your starter and desert met your expectations.

Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit so I can thank-you personally for reviewing The Mere.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed for a night via Travelzoo deal and it was excellent. The hotel is ideally located just off the motorway and is also ideal for night before a flight from Manchester Airport. The resort is very relaxing and the decor luxurious. The bedrooms are very comfortable and contemporary and clean. The check-in and out were smooth and quick. The patio area in the bar/lounge is very relaxing with a nice outlook over the golf course and the lake. We ate here twice and had 2 lovely salads. We also had a 3 course meal and breakfast in the restaurant which were also excellent. Our only complaint was the disorganisation of the waiting staff and system which was confusing and often resulted in us being missed. The spa is very good and the pool is lovely and there is a great area outside with sun loungers (assuming you get the weather). Someone comes round and serves you with drinks so you don't have to go anywhere. There is also a range of steam rooms and spa rooms and jacuzzis. Overall this was a great, relaxing stay in a quality hotel with great facilities and we would definitely come back again.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed here for one night with my friend, her mum and aunty. we were made to feel very welcome as soon as we got there. Our room was gorgeous huge comfy bed and lovely clean bathroom. We spent an hour at the poolside and ordered a cocktail which was the only fault as it was 9£ and was tiny! The spa and pool area is very clean and We had dinner at the restaurant which was amazing the steak I had was cooked to perfection and we were waited on hand and foot! We also ordered room service which was really good value for money. Would definately stay here again!!

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank-you so much for your fantastic review of your recent visit; I will pass all your feedback to the team especially the Spa and Browns team you have mentioned.

We strive at The Mere to make your best stay better than your last, and we would love to welcome you back to The Mere.

Please feel free to contact me directly prior to your next stay so I can pass on my thanks personally to you.

Tom Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Broxton
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#3 of 45 in Chester

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!