“Great for a girls spa break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great for a girls spa break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently stayed here with friends and spent time in the spa. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were keen to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Our room was lovely with a view of the golf course. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was first class. The breakfast the following morning was one of the best I've had! We spent the day in the spa and were made to feel very welcome and to stay as long as we liked. All in all it was a lovely mini break and very good value as we did the fizzy Friday deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tk1210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've already had a satisfactory email exchange with Lauren Yates, the hotel's Guest Relations manager, following our stay in early June, but it was tripadvisor that led me to stay at the hotel and I should therefore add my feedback:
The hotel is quite difficult to find with poor signage on the road, but once we did, our first impressions were very favourable. It is upscale and the rooms and facilities deserving of the four stars. We were initially a little disappointed that our room was quite dark looking onto a courtyard, but it was nicely furnished with a very comfortable bed, a great bathroom and it was wonderfully quiet - we ended up very happy with it as our home for three nights, as part of an 11-day trip around the UK, culminating with a wedding nearby at the end of our stay.
We used the pool every day which was always nice. I did try to get an appointment at the spa, but they had nothing available throughout our stay - I was on a wait-list, but unlucky.
We used the clubhouse for dinner one evening and the food was good, the service less so. We also found the restaurant service for breakfast very lax, to the extent that on our final day we had room service for breakfast which was costly but much better.
I was so concerned by the poor service that, whilst there, I went back to trip advisor to re-check the reviews. Interestingly the reviews which led me to book some weeks before were much better than those current to our stay.
The staff seemed half asleep, tables were left uncleared and the night at the clubhouse we were completely abandoned - we would have ordered desert and another glass of wine if anyone had come near us. The room was barely cleaned at all the first day, much better the second. It seemed to us that there were no managers and staff were poorly trained, which is a great shame as it's a really great place.
In contrast the reception staff were always helpful and when we were leaving for the wedding the heavens opened and the door staff couldn't have been more helpful - getting our car for us and providing two umbrellas.
I do think the hotel will resolve the staffing issues - as I said, following an email questionnaire to which I responded very frankly, an email exchange ensued. That and the thorough comments made by Lauren to many of the recent reviews suggest the Mere cares enough to get things right.

1 Thank DWYGO
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear PenLou,

As I explained to you we value our guest feedback, without it we are unable to grow and develop the resort.

I am pleased that you felt the way in which this was dealt with was done in a satisfactory manner.

We would relish an opportunity to welcome you back to see for yourself the changes we have
made having received your earlier comments.

Lauren
merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I visited the mere spa on sunday using a living social voucher, this is my second visit after 2 years. The first time I went I really enjoyed the whole experience but there were a few little niggles this time around. The spa restraunt the food was a bit of a let down my pasta dish was dry & quite boring the ciabatta bread was microwaved & was extremely dry. For a luxury spa as it promotes itself this is quite disappointing. My partner & I then went on to the treatment waiting area we noticed the lampshade was full of dead flies & moths. This was in your eyesight as you waited, then we were took through to the treatment room. They are beautifully presented but the bed my partner was lying on was greasy, also the towel over the face hole had make up on it. The treatment was lovely then they leave you in the dimly lit room & get you some water. At this point you are so relaxed, but as soon as you leave the treatment room the therapists take you to a brightly lit room & try to sell you the products they have used. Then they take you to the relaxation room by now you don't really feel like relaxing. I am a frequent spa visitor & have been lucky to go to some really beautiful spas. The positives are the pool, thermal & heat experiances. The changing rooms are stunning everything you could need, the ambience is of peace & tranquillity just a shame there were a few areas overlooked.

1 Thank 131268
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear 131268,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent Spa Day.

I have spoken with our Spa Manager and asked her to contact you directly to discuss your feedback in more detail. As a repeat visitor of the complex you know for yourself that this is not our usual practice and we are confident it to be an isolated incident however completely unacceptable.

If you wish to discuss this matter directly with myself please feel free to contact me either by telephone 01565 830155 or by email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk

May I assure you that a full investigation will be conducted regarding this matter.

Kind Regards

Lauren Yates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just stayed on a special Saturday offer. The rooms are very nice but a bit dark. Browns restaurant is lovely. However, the hotel needs to work on the service provided by the staff. We arrived and went for lunch in the hotel bar. We had to request someone to clean the table twice and they needed to sweep as there was a lot of mess on the floor. After half an hour we managed to get someone's attention to take our order.
When we went for breakfast the following day we requested the seats to be brushed as there was again mess everywhere and on the floor. The waitress answered us back and said they clean every day, clearly they don't as we were one of the first down to breakfast. Breakfast was ok nothing special.
We then went for lunch and Ordered a coffee and cake. The coffee arrived, cold with out a cake. We ordered another coffee to come with the cake and again it arrived without the cake. It was at least hot.
The hotel is 5 star but the service you receive is about 3 star, if that. We were very disappointed and it isn't a cheap weekend to stay there and when you pay the sort of money there you expect a 5star service.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ljc0001
Dear Ljc001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following on from your recent stay.

I was extremely disappointed to learn of the cleanliness and service issues you unfortunately encountered during your time with us. For this I would like to sincerely apologise as it is not our usual 5 star standards that we strive for.

May I take this opportunity to assure you that I have passed on your valuable comments to our Food and Beverage Manager for his urgent attention/action to avoid repeat of this happening again in the future,

We hope that you will return to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

Kind Regards

Lauren Yates
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stay here every few months for a few nights to get away and spa with a night out in local knutsford. Couldn't ask for more from what we want. Food is fabulous, spa is super for a hotel spa and staff are always happy to help.

• Stayed May 2014
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We chose this hotel because of a lot of great reviews on TA and it's location. We went for a "weekend gettaway" and would like to have stayed longer. I'll briefly summarise our experience.

Arrived just after 2pm for check-in. Staff very courteous and informative. Room met expectations, (we asked for view of golf course rather than car park). My partner was booked into spa for a treatment which she absolutely loved. We then just chilled in the spa area which was fantastic, with lots of different therapy rooms to experience - not just a choice of sauna or steam !

Evening meal at Browns, the main restaurant, got off to a bad start with ordering cocktails that didn't arrive until we complained to staff. Shortly after that cocktails arrived and were complimentary, due to the delay. (service recovery I think they call that). Food choice was good and as we had booked the bed, breakfast and evening meal option, we were given clear advice on how that would be shown on our bill. Food itself was very good, although if you are hungry make sure you order a couple of side dishes.

Breakfast was good with the usual choice of continental and cooked breakfast available. Eggs were scrambled, unless you ordered specially, there were also other variations available at an extra charge. Good use of free range eggs and locally sourced bacon & sausage.

That's it. Would definitely recommend for couples and or golfers. (we didn't play golf, but I thought the course looked great).

Steve Mitchell

walsall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

A party of 10 of us arrived Saturday 28th June for a golf and spa overnight stay, all I can say is wow from the moment we arrived it was pure bliss. I had booked this package back in february as we were celebrating a friends 40th birthday , in the package we recieved a round of golf for the men and a 40 min treatment for the ladies but the men could use the spa facilities too. We also had a two course meal in browns restaurant on the evening and breakfast the following morning. The rooms were beautiful our room a Mere double 219 was over looking the stunning golf course and lake. The spa as all you need pool, jacuzzi , haman, steam room, salt infusion room towels and robes are given on arrival. Check in was quick and pleasant. Our booking for evening meal was at 8.15 pm in Browns and the service was efficient and precise the food was fine dining and absolutely delicious and presentation excellent. There was a small teething problem at the bar when some of our party requested cocktails but the lovely young barman had only started that evening and had to refer to his handbook which took ages and didn't taste or look like what had been ordered but another member of staff took over and the cocktails were made correctly and delicious but that was only a minor issue. Our stay was fantastic what a lovely place for a relaxing weekend, we shall with no doubt visit The Mere again. Thank you so much.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,983 reviews
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!