“A Yorkshireman's Moan”

The Mere Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Reviewed 21 July 2014

As a Yorkshireman I cannot help myself - we just have a need to moan so here goes.

This is my second visit and I need you to know what I have found.

Perfect tranquility.

People looking after me that care, have a smile, are attentive and genuine.

A room that is the right size, right temperature and has all I need. A bathroom that is neither too small not too big and spotlessly clean.

Food that is wonderful to look at and even better to experience.

It is a very, very long time since I had such a wonderful experience in a hotel anywhere in the world.

So what is my moan?

I will be forced to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Laurence T
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Lawrence T,

It was an absolute to pleasure to have met you, shared your interesting views and of course looked after you whilst staying with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here at The Mere and that you are as enthusiastic about the resort as we are.

May I also take this opportunity to personally thank you for taking the time to share your successful Guest Journey with us.

I am looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

As a frequent visitor of spa hotels, I had high expectations of this experience from viewing the website and looking at the stunning photographs. Unfortunately, my visit was met with disappointment and despite using a LivingSocialDeal voucher, I did not feel that the treatment I received was anything close to the 4 star rating as boasted by Mere or worthy of the £129 I paid (plus two £15 Saturday supplements) for my friend and I.

Overall, we felt undervalued, rushed and unhappy with the cleanliness of the facilities. This may have been down to the busy period (with the Open championship) but I don't think it can excuse everything.

Upon arrival, we sat down to lunch which was adequate but certainly nothing special. My Caesar salad turned out to be two lettuce leaves and an egg as the waitress had forgotten to bring the dressing (which I'd requested separately). The chicken supreme main was average.

Arriving at the pool area, we were disappointed to find that all of the loungers had been reserved with towels despite very few people present. They all had 'wet bum' damp patches too which was off putting. Standing awkwardly with our magazines, we ended up putting our things on the floor. I did ask a staff member about the beds and she replied 'people shouldn't be reserving them' which didn't really help our plight. As a suggestion, I think staff could take a more active role in resolving this problem by doing regular checks and removing towels. Some of the clients may even have gone home by this time as it was late afternoon after all.

The pool area was beautiful and the thermal rooms were superb - no complaints here.

Our first treatment (Rasul mud) was not actually a treatment as we had to do it ourselves. With the promise of refreshments, we were given mud and salt to sort ourselves out. My (pregnant) friend was not very mobile and found this difficult. The girl asked us our medical history as she had not got our record which seemed unprofessional.. What was the point of us filling out such a form upon arrival then? Ushered into a tiny room, with a damp/peeling ceiling, we were annoyed that the floor was covered in salt from the previous clients. A used flannel was also draped over the shower from the people before The 'refreshments' were actually two glasses of water. It would have been less misleading to simply say this from the beginning.

Before our next treatment, we went to the 'deep relaxation' room. The lighting (especially from the empty fridge) was particularly harsh and the constant opening/closing of the door made 'relaxing' more of a challenge. Two of the beds were unmade with unfinished drinks strewn around the room. Something had been spilt on the counter and I was not confident that the duvets were only used by us that day. My friend's recliner was also broken and did not adjust.

Our next treatment was the Discovery facial. From the identically titled treatment I'd had at a Mercure hotel recently, I was disappointed to find that this was little more than a cleanse tone and moisturise. There was no skin analysis, recommended products or personal touch at all. I felt that we were rushed in and rushed out. It also lasted just under 20 minutes, not the advertised 30.

We were then offered to go back to the relaxation room which we politely declined. It felt too grubby and definitely 'no frills'. Deciding to cut our losses, we went home.

I was astonished to receive a call upon arriving home to inform me that I had an unpaid bar tab which needed settling. Naturally I had assumed that our soft drinks were covered within our '2 course meal' we'd ordered. In many other hotels, I've had access to unlimited free tea/coffee/juice so this came as a surprise.

I paid the bill and will not be returning to this hotel. There are a plethora of excellent spa hotels in the surrounding areas and the Mere has a long way to go to compete. I would normally not trouble myself/others to complain about a service I received at a reduced rate but we did spend £168+ for a couple hours so not exactly a bargain by any count.

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank SGW1987
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear SGW1987,

May I say that I am genuinely disappointed to learn of your Spa Day experience; it is not often that we receive negative feedback regarding our ward winning facility.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that this is not our normal practice and apologise on behalf of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

I would welcome a chance to discuss this further with you and would politely ask for you to contact me directly my email is lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk or alternatively by telephone 01565 830155.

I would now like to conduct a full investigation so that we can prevent this from happening again in the future.

Once again, thank you for your time, review and I look forward to speaking with you soon

Reviewed 15 July 2014

we stayed here for our Christmas party last year, the room we were allocated was a ground floor disabled room and it was a tad disappointing (as I am not at all disabled). The room was a little on the small size, with a view of the car park - the function room itself was on the outside of the property, although there was access from within the hotel but we weren't informed of this so we trudged outside on a cold December evening.

The hotel itself wasn't within walking distance of any other amenities, apart from a garage however, the golf course and grounds were pleasant enough - although there was a definate difference from the public amenities and those of the members of the golf club itself.

On the plus side - the bed was really comfortable and we had a good nights sleep, our stay would have been enhanced if we'd had a lovely bath to sink into before we went out

Not somewhere we'll be going back to - but that's just my opinion

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Val A

Dear Loobylou66,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review following on from your Christmas party.

Unfortunately as your stay was last year it is a little difficult to say why you were allocated an accessible room. I would imagine it would have been due to the busy festive period and the hotel being full.

This would have meant that some of our guests would have been allocated this particular room type as we have four accessible rooms in the hotel in total. There are many factors that come into the allocation of rooms on the day but mainly due to the time passed in-between it is difficult to say for sure.

We apologise for the disappointment this may have caused you at the time, if you wish to contact me directly then I can amend your guest profile to try and prevent this from happening again should you stay with us in the future.

Lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk

Once again, our sincere apologies

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is the 4th time I have had the pleasure of staying at The Mere and it was as excellent as always.
We had our wedding here 4 years ago and the hotel was not built then, now it is missing some of the lovely features that it had, such as the bridge over water in the main lobby, but the renovations are perfect for a modern and classy hotel. This time I brought my mum for a 'girls night in' package which included, bed and breakfast, 2 course of in room dining, prosecco, chocolates and manicure or pedicure. It was great value for money. We added on a few extra treatments too. The menu for the in-room dining was of small choice, two options for main and desert. I was trying to be good on this trip so I asked if I could swap the desert for a starter off the room service menu and that wasn't a problem. The food was excellent and came in ceramic dishes so it was kept hot for longer. In true Mere style, the portions were the same in the restaurant which was great as sometimes on room service they are smaller. You also get a choice of any movies included in this package and there were a lot to pick from. Parking was a struggle as there was an event taking place being sponsored by Mercedes and Mercedes cars seem to take up more than half of the parking area, but we eventually found a spot. I have stayed in the suites a few times at Mere and this time we had a Mere twin room. Room number 10. It was excellent, it as was -1 floor, but has French doors to a patio area, so it felt just as good as a suit as you can sit outside in your own little area, I would highly recommend this room.I have to mention that Dee the receptionist was extremely helpful, professional and friendly. The girls who provide the spa treatments are always lovely, however the main person who takes your payment at the end always comes across as stressed, doesn't acknowledge you are waiting to been seen or generally smiles. The hotel staff are a lot more happy and approachable. All in all, I'm already planning my next stay. I just can't get enough of Mere. Interesting fact - the spa has been listed in the top 100 spa's in the world...I recommend you give it a try.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank RaewynLancashire

Dear RaewynLancashire,

Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

We would like to thank you for your repeat custom and are pleased that you enjoy our wonderful resort so much that you return to us time and time again.

I will of course pass on your kind comments regarding Dee our “Dee-lightful” receptionist!! I am sure that she will be thrilled to have a special mention by name for providing excellent customer service.

Please feel free to email my directly upon your next stay with us and I will ensure that once again you are well looked after lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk

We look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently stayed here with friends and spent time in the spa. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were keen to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Our room was lovely with a view of the golf course. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was first class. The breakfast the following morning was one of the best I've had! We spent the day in the spa and were made to feel very welcome and to stay as long as we liked. All in all it was a lovely mini break and very good value as we did the fizzy Friday deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tk1210
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've already had a satisfactory email exchange with Lauren Yates, the hotel's Guest Relations manager, following our stay in early June, but it was tripadvisor that led me to stay at the hotel and I should therefore add my feedback:
The hotel is quite difficult to find with poor signage on the road, but once we did, our first impressions were very favourable. It is upscale and the rooms and facilities deserving of the four stars. We were initially a little disappointed that our room was quite dark looking onto a courtyard, but it was nicely furnished with a very comfortable bed, a great bathroom and it was wonderfully quiet - we ended up very happy with it as our home for three nights, as part of an 11-day trip around the UK, culminating with a wedding nearby at the end of our stay.
We used the pool every day which was always nice. I did try to get an appointment at the spa, but they had nothing available throughout our stay - I was on a wait-list, but unlucky.
We used the clubhouse for dinner one evening and the food was good, the service less so. We also found the restaurant service for breakfast very lax, to the extent that on our final day we had room service for breakfast which was costly but much better.
I was so concerned by the poor service that, whilst there, I went back to trip advisor to re-check the reviews. Interestingly the reviews which led me to book some weeks before were much better than those current to our stay.
The staff seemed half asleep, tables were left uncleared and the night at the clubhouse we were completely abandoned - we would have ordered desert and another glass of wine if anyone had come near us. The room was barely cleaned at all the first day, much better the second. It seemed to us that there were no managers and staff were poorly trained, which is a great shame as it's a really great place.
In contrast the reception staff were always helpful and when we were leaving for the wedding the heavens opened and the door staff couldn't have been more helpful - getting our car for us and providing two umbrellas.
I do think the hotel will resolve the staffing issues - as I said, following an email questionnaire to which I responded very frankly, an email exchange ensued. That and the thorough comments made by Lauren to many of the recent reviews suggest the Mere cares enough to get things right.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DWYGO

Dear PenLou,

As I explained to you we value our guest feedback, without it we are unable to grow and develop the resort.

I am pleased that you felt the way in which this was dealt with was done in a satisfactory manner.

We would relish an opportunity to welcome you back to see for yourself the changes we have
made having received your earlier comments.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I visited the mere spa on sunday using a living social voucher, this is my second visit after 2 years. The first time I went I really enjoyed the whole experience but there were a few little niggles this time around. The spa restraunt the food was a bit of a let down my pasta dish was dry & quite boring the ciabatta bread was microwaved & was extremely dry. For a luxury spa as it promotes itself this is quite disappointing. My partner & I then went on to the treatment waiting area we noticed the lampshade was full of dead flies & moths. This was in your eyesight as you waited, then we were took through to the treatment room. They are beautifully presented but the bed my partner was lying on was greasy, also the towel over the face hole had make up on it. The treatment was lovely then they leave you in the dimly lit room & get you some water. At this point you are so relaxed, but as soon as you leave the treatment room the therapists take you to a brightly lit room & try to sell you the products they have used. Then they take you to the relaxation room by now you don't really feel like relaxing. I am a frequent spa visitor & have been lucky to go to some really beautiful spas. The positives are the pool, thermal & heat experiances. The changing rooms are stunning everything you could need, the ambience is of peace & tranquillity just a shame there were a few areas overlooked.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 131,268
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear 131268,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent Spa Day.

I have spoken with our Spa Manager and asked her to contact you directly to discuss your feedback in more detail. As a repeat visitor of the complex you know for yourself that this is not our usual practice and we are confident it to be an isolated incident however completely unacceptable.

If you wish to discuss this matter directly with myself please feel free to contact me either by telephone 01565 830155 or by email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk

May I assure you that a full investigation will be conducted regarding this matter.

Lauren Yates

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Longview Hotel
Longview Hotel
#8 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!