“Excellent hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent hospitality”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed on Friday 8th August on a much needed spa breaK. This was my first visit to the Mere, I was impressed by the spa, the facilities and the food and all the staff were polite.
However, my abiding memory of the visit is of Adrian, who is I believe the hotel's night manager. It's a long time since I have been to a hotel on my ow (my friend unable to come at the last minute) and I was a little nervous.Adrian put me at ease from the start advising me about room service, spa times and he even found time to give me a tour of the grounds and facilities in the morning. I've stayed at many hotels across the world and in all that time I've never met a more poised, professional and well educated hotel manager. His depth of knowledge on a variety of issues was astonishing and his sharp wit and sense of humour cheered me up no end.
I have no idea what he's doing working during the night in the middle of Cheshire when I'd expect him to be livening up dinner table conversations in some swanky hotel in London, New York. Anyway, whilst he is there, I'd encourage any Trip advisor night owl who likes elegant, intelligent conversation to visit the Mere and seek him out.
He's a hidden jewelin the Mere's crown!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jayne J
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jayne J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful guest experience with us.

I was so pleased to learn that Adrian our wonderful Night Manger was able to offer you genuine excellent hospitality and customer service leaving you so compelled to write such a glowing review.

Adrian himself was delighted to read your comments and felt proud that he had made you feel like the valued guest that you are.

We have now officially christening him, Adrian Hidden Jewel in the Mere’s Crown (Judging by the smile of his face, we think he likes it!!)

Thank you for choosing The Mere Golf Resort and Spa

Kind Regards

Lauren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Cheshire
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at The Mere, the whole experience was fantastic, the food and service was great and the room was lovely. I had a full body massage which having had a few over the years was up there with the most relaxing and enjoyable I have had. The treatment room was perfect, and the therapist was excellent, Beth?
The pool area is great with a fab selection of thermal rooms to choose from, all were clean and inviting.
Food and service was lovely and Georgia looked after us for both dinner and breakfast and is a credit to the resort.
We will return.

2 Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Lovely hotel and golf course in stunning location beside the lake. Luxurious bedrooms with every modern amenity. Enthusiastic, if sometimes inexperienced, staff all striving to please, what could go wrong....well quite a lot actually. We were a group of silver haired golfers looking forward to a splendid two day golf weekend and it all started with the failure of the staff at reception to ask to swipe my credit card on check-in. Our party then spent most of the day playing golf and I only discovered that I couldn't buy anything in the late evening - food or drink - without having had a card registered. The remedy involved having to walk what seemed like a quarter of a mile to reception only to find...no staff ! On returning to the evening bar I offered to pay cash or card, "sorry sir we can't accept cash or card because we've closed the tills and only residents with cards registered can make a purchase. It is company policy for reasons of security" And so the two beers I had ordered, and which had been poured, remained on the bar ! To add insult to injury, on this particular evening we were watching the final moments of the American PGA Golf major and it was all we could do to stop the bar manager switching off the television....just as Rory McIlroy was two holes away from winning the Trophy ! " It's Company Policy to turn off the set at 11.30pm...sir" Clearly the customer never comes first at the Mere Golf Resort.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurence T
Dear Lawrence T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your recent golf trip with us.

Whilst I am very disappointed to learn of the unfortunate frustrating factors you encountered during your stay, I only wish I had been called to help assist you at the time.

All staff are trained to make sure the guest is happy and to provide excellent customer service.

Employees do have certain polices and rules that they have to adhere to but there are certainly better ways to execute this.

May I take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of The Mere Golf Resort and Spa for the way in which this was communicated to you.

I would also like to assure you that on the back of your feedback/review all staff have been briefed and reminded for future reference.

Our guest will always come first.

Kind Regards

Lauren
England
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Staff polite, restaurant food in evening excellent, though breakfast less so. Restaurant service was very good with Georgia being especially worth a mention ...pleasant and helpful and efficient. Golf shop well stocked, and plenty parking. I didnt play golf but the green looked well maintained. Spa prices reasonable and overall a nice relaxed atmosphere with a "not to stuffy" attitude.

Room Tip: lakeview is nice...108 has disabled facilities
2 Thank JohnBoland
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed from Monday to Thursday looking for a bit pampering for my wife and relaxation before the birth of our first child. The staff were all friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble, the room was clean, modern and spacious. Breakfast was very good on all 3 mornings as was the afternoon tea that we had. The spa was excellent as were the massages we both had. Overall we both left feeling refreshed and relaxed which is what we were looking for, I would definitely recommnend a visit

2 Thank James M
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing spa day at The Mere. 2 course lunch was excellent & very filling. Facial & massage were great. Radial mud treatment left my skin feeling great but not sure if I'd get this regularly for the price. Staff were lovely, service was excellent & facilities couldn't be faulted.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gemmap81
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed as part of a golf trip for two days. Hotel staff were great. Friendly and gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble. They did there best to make our stay an enjoyable experience. The rooms are modern, clean, spacious and well enough kitted out for our one night stay. Drinks at the bars aren't cheap. £5 for a larger £12 for a G&T.

The golf course is good to play. Slightly tricky in places with some awkward holes. The course condition is on the whole excellent. However the bunkers were, to be blunt, awful. Not in decent condition at all. Rotivating them would help lift the sand. The main failing for the course though is the 18th hole. It, in my opinion, needs re landscaping at the landing area from the tee to make it a better hole. Fairer for short hitters, more involving for longer hitters. An improved finishing hole would really lift the whole course.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Broxton
The Stanneylands
The Stanneylands
#4 of 5 in Wilmslow

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!