“FLAWLESS”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Salford, United Kingdom
“FLAWLESS”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

After visiting the Mere for the 4th time in the last 18 months, I couldn't help but feel the need to write about how PERFECT this place really is. We were greeted by friendly staff with beaming smiles, immaculate décor and a room which was spotless, spacious and cosy. After dropping our luggage, we went straight to the spa where we alternated between, steam rooms, sauna, swimming and drifted in and out of sleep. An amazing sleep on the comfiest bed ever, was followed by the best breakfast ever. Cooked perfectly, presented perfectly and an endless choice of food.

We love the place. Definitely our future wedding venue!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darren H
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Darren H,

Thank you so much for sharing your superb review titled “Flawless”

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay; it was a pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Please feel free to contact me directly when staying in the future and I will of course make sure that you are once again, well looked after.

We look forward to your return

Best Wishes

Lauren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Booked a Livingsocial deal for a spa day at The Mere and redeemed it last Friday. The deal was £130 for 2 people, 2 course lunch each and 2 treatments each. Really good value.

The facilities are lovely – seems to have had quite a recent renovation or decoration. The pool area is really nice, steam room etc are all great too.

Lunch in the café/bar was really surprisingly good. I had the salmon superfood salad for starter which was delicious, and then the prawn and courgette linguine for main course. The linguine was very tasty but it was so creamy I could feel the heart attack waiting to happen!

The deal we had purchased came with a rasul mud treatment, and either a massage or a facial (we all went for massage) which were all performed in dual rooms in pairs. I would rather have been in my own room for the massage but that wasn’t what the deal included.

The mud treatment was fun – you are given salt to scrub yourself with first, then a small pot of mud to put all over your body, and you then sit in a small steam room for a while. The steam room was so hot! I couldn’t stand it for too long! The mud treatment was fun but now I’ve done it once I wouldn’t bother again.

The massage was straight afterwards and was heavenly. The only problem was it was only half an hour – I think if I came again I would upgrade to an hour as the half hour is just not long enough.

After your treatment they take you to a relaxation room. Relax isn’t the word! I was falling asleep. It’s amazing! There are beds in there with blankets and duvets. Soooooo nice. I could have stayed in there all day.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful and made the day run smoothly, explaining how everything works and where to go for your treatments etc. They also accommodated us when we decided to eat earlier than we had booked in for lunch.

I would definitely go back and will be keeping my eyes peeled for the next special offer!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank stocktonhfoodie
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My Husband and I have Just arrived home to Oxfordshire after spending the weekend at Mere golf and country club and spa. I last stayed approximately two years ago with our Son and my review back then was glowing. However, my experience on this occasion has been very different.
Over the past 30 years, a large part of my life has been spent in hotels all around the world due to my work in the airline industry, I have stayed in literally thousands so feel I am qualified to offer my opinion.
I will liken this to purchasing a first class ticket -only to find on arrival that I have been given a seat in economy.
Due to the problem we seem to have in our Country with 'Chavs' who don't know how to behave in civilised surroundings, I choose to stay somewhere like Mere rather than a lower cost hotel such as Travel lodge or Premier inn, especially when it's a special break away as this was.
The staff are all very pleasant but the whole place seemed chaotic at breakfast time, with several wedding parties staying and staff not able to cope with the amount of guests. Requests were constantly made for basic things like cereal bowls, breakfast plates, butter etc. with replies such as " oh someone is bringing them up from the kitchen"
The continental buffet tables are in the wrong place, trying to serve yourself with people chatting to others around the tables was hopeless and so many children around. There were guests dressed in shorts etc. that would have been more suited to a beachside cafe in Magaluf, one guy wearing a t shirt with totally inappropriate slogans on the front, especially as he was with his children and ... Wait for it........ a lady in full head rollers, aka Colleen Rooney style!!!!!! I can assure you, this is a British thing, you would never see this in a hotel of this standard anywhere in Europe and especially Northern Europe , why do some people think that this is an acceptable way to dress in a dining room? -what has happened to Mere? Well obviously the wedding packages for guests staying there are cheap as chips and with this a complete lowering of standards for the rest of us .
The rooms are comfortable although there were holes in my pillow case. ( not acceptable in a hotel of this standard)
If I want this type of accommodation I will book into the afore mentioned hotels , although they are extremely acceptable if the occasion calls for it. Sorry Mere, must do better. I will not be staying with you again during the wedding season and hope things improve soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank corrieorrie
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Corrieorrie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your recent stay with us.

We acknowledge your feedback and encourage you to contact us, either via my direct email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk or alternatively by telephone 01565 830155

Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The staff are very polite, and on arrival after completing the required form for our treatment, we were shown where everything is. Everything is very clean and modern. Clean towels are at your disposal, and slippers and a robe are also provided.

The spa facilities are the best I've experienced, I've only been to a few but you normally just get the standard, steam room, sauna an swimming pool/Jacuzzi. What I loved about here was how everything was set out and there was information/instructions there to advise you in which order you should use the rooms, including the sauna room, steam room, salt room, crushed ice machine (to rub on yourself after the sauna /steam room) aroma room, relaxation room, as well as the standard swimming pool and hydro/Jacuzzi section.

Our treatments which my friend had booked us was the hot stone caress 75mins, we were pleasantly surprised that they asked us if we wanted to be upgraded for free to the hot Lava Shell massage, and of course we said yes. The massage was relaxing , and although we both had the same massage they catered to our individual muscles needs, concentrating on different areas that felt tighter.

We also had lunch here both having the broccoli and mushroom pasta and a cocktail, both were very tasty

I would highly recommend to come here, nothing I could fault. This is the perfect example of paying for what you get, quality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Talia16
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Talia16,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful birthday experience at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

The hot lava shells massage is something new that we have just introduced and is the latest biggest craze!! I am so pleased to know you were both a fan of the treatment; I have mine booked for next week… Well these things need testing!! I call it “Market Research”

Thank you for the food related feedback as we have just launched a new and exciting Spa Bar Menu. I have heard great things from guests regarding the delicious culinary delights,

We hope to welcome you both back soon, why not look at our website for our best deals available and perhaps make a night of it.

Leeds
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the Mere to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary, and I was not disappointed. The whole experience from start to finish was fabulous. The reception staff were very efficient, friendly and helpful, despite us arriving early our room was ready, which is always a bonus. The room (206) was large and well furnished we had a super king sized bed. The carpet was a little stained, but the ambient lighting disguised most of that, and it did not detract at all from the spotlessness of the room. The bathroom was also a good size and had nice toiletries. Unfortunately the view out of the room was not so good, just a small courtyard, and a bit of a smell of food as it seemed to be at the back of the golf house.
We loved relaxing in the spa, which has a number of smallish steam/sauna rooms, a good sized pool and a vitality pool. It was quite busy, but we had no trouble getting loungers.
The most encouraging thing for me was the lack of "stuffiness" - the hotel is obviously in a very wealthy area, you only have to look at the cars in the car park to see that, Maseratis, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Porsche, to name but a few , but does not suffer at all from pretentiousness.
It's also quite good for star spotting by the golf course... Footballers and cricketers graced the course on the two days we were there.
We will definitely go back...and pay a little more for a view over the Mere next time....
Thanks to all at the Mere...
PS it's a plane spotters haven!!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moomoo437
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had a lovely couple of nights here with a friend during the Tatton Park flower show this year.

Rooms - luxurious, bath robes, big fluffy towels, comfy beds with good mattresses, lots of room to swing a cat, we had a private terrace outside our ground floor room.

Bathroom - was gorgeous with two sinks and lovely smellies by Aromatherapy Associates.

The spa is great. My friend had a massage and I had a manicure. We didn't swim but there is a nice pool.

The grounds to the hotel are gorgeous. There are beautiful gardens with a patio area for eating and drinking and the bar menu is quite good, sandwiches and light meals. The golf course is lovely and you can see across the mere to the millionaires' houses.

I thought it was a bit weird that they took my credit card off me while I was having a drink at the bar. They actually locked it away! I felt like they didn't trust me! I am used to having my card swiped but not taken away! Anyhow that's a minor quibble.

We ate in the evening at Brown's in the hotel. I thought the meal was ok but our coffees were not very warm. It was an expensive meal and I would have said a little overpriced.

On the second night we ate at the bar and that was a much better experience all round, the service was friendlier.

Breakfast was very good and served in the conservatory.

There's a tennis court at the back of the hotel if you fancy a game.

I would stay here again, but I wouldn't eat in Brown's again.

Room Tip: Choose a high room if you want a view across the mere and a ground floor room if you want a terrace...