“Highly recommend”
Review of Belle Epoque

Belle Epoque
Ranked #7 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This review is long over due! My husband and I married in July 2011 and had a fantastic time as did all our friends and family. The whole of the day went smoothly thanks to all the staff at the Belle Époque. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and great manners (nothing beats good manners in my book). The team went out of their way to make us feel taken care.
We booked the whole of the Belle Epoqué from the start of the day right trough to the evening and immediate family (us included) stayed in the rooms. We would totally recommend the venue. Colette was brilliant throughout as our point of contact always reassuring and on top of everything. She recommend great people (especially Nick Campbell the DJ who was amazing and friends have since used)
My personal favourite moment was, having taken a lot longer than expected to have photos done, the chef coming out of the kitchen full plet complaining that he need to serve the food and not realising we were stood right there! Awkward looks all round (stiffled laughter from us) but to us it showed how much pride he was taking in giving us the best food he could....and it really was a wonderful meal.
The only negative was the older gents in the party missed not having a pint of draft bitter!!
We went back on our 1st anniversary and mentioned it to the staff who then gave us the special romantic booth tooked away in the corner...perfect!!
If you are considering the Belle Époque go for it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We ate here at the weekend and where very disappointed with the food, I had the pigs cheek which was fairly tasteless bland attempt. My partner had scallops which was also bland and boring meal served with peas (peas really aren't a high class veg, pretty poor to be honest)..
We thought we would give it a chance and have dessert but was given an over cooked chocolate fondant that was also very plain and bland tasteing..
The place looks tired and we where put in a corner which didn't really help
The only good thing we could say is the chocolate torte was nice.
I wouldn't eat here again, the service was OK but still can't recommend it!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 27 December 2012

A mixed experience for Christmas lunch. To start with we were 20 minutes late as our taxi did not turn up but we did phone let them know and they said that it was no problem. On arrival our coats were taken and we were offered a glass of champagne by the fire, however, others were not so lucky, some were kept standing with their coats, others had their coats taken but had to request a glass of wine. The restaurant was full, with 140 covers which the staff kept pointing out to everyone but this does not excuse the rather chaotic service. Some were offered canapés in the bar, others had to wait until they got to their tables. After being shown to our table we were told that the waiter would be straight back with the wine list, 20 mins later we had to ask for one.

The food was delicious and could not be faulted, Lobster Thermidor, Turkey, Christmas pudding, cheese, mince pies and coffee. However, when we asked for a second cup of coffee the waiter made a big deal of it, squeezing just 2 cups out of a jug and telling us that the coffee machine had been turned off, despite there being 2 full jugs on the machine when I went to the ladies 5 minutes later. We were also subject slightly sarcastic comments by the waiters throughout the meal. They acted as if they did not want to be there on Christmas Day and that they were doing us a big favour. Also the waiters were not allocated to specific tables so they never knew what stage each table was at.

Beautiful venue, fabulous food but not the standard of service that we expected.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Addi13
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a super, "restaurant with rooms", right in the middle of Knutsford town centre. We've stayed three times now and each time we've really enjoyed it. Spotlessly clean and nice bright modern decor.
The staff cant do enough for you and that follows on whilst dining in there exquisite restaurant, worth a visit on its own merit.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room one overlooks the lovely gardens
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger M
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We went to a wedding here in September 2012 and it was, in a word, perfect! From the service on arrival, to the gorgeous decadent decor, to the perfectly cooked and presented food! One guest on our table wanted a non standard item as a starter and this was done immediately by the waiter who was very friendly. There was nothing at all I could fault about this venue! The ceremony room, wedding breakfast room and evening rooms were all beautiful. There was only a small outside area but it was really pretty with an archway and garden for lovely photos. I did not stay overnight so I can't comment on the rooms. Im getting married myself in 9 months, and if I lived locally I would have no hesitation in booking for my own wedding. (only downside- drinks are quite expensive, although thats to be expected from this type of venue)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Service was good, although the food was prepared a little too quickly, and so overall we felt rushed.

The food was very disappointing. I had croquette de volaille to start - basically a couple of rather bland chicken burgers. My wife had rabbit terrine which I tried - also very bland.

My main course was foie gras in a gingerbread crust, which didn't work at all. My wife had grilled calf’s liver, which she said was ok.

I skipped pudding but my wife had baked alaska. Very disappointing since it wasn't freshly made, and my wife thought it might have been bought in.

Bill came to about £90 including drinks and wine, so not too expensive, although the waiter added service charge without being asked, and this wasn't shown on the bill, which seemed rather sneaky and I didn't appreciate it.

There are plenty of better restaurants in the area. I certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank S D
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We had our wedding at Belle Epoque on 9th September 2012 and from our first planning appointment with Colette through to morning after our wedding we could not find fault. Colette could not be more helpful and her experience in dealing with weddings really showed, she put us at ease and made sure we had every little detail covered. On the day the staff were professional but friendly, they made sure we had the most wonderful day without any hitches. The weather was kind to us and we were able to use the garden terrace. All our guests were very complimentary about the food and the venue. We had the most wonderful and emotional day and we would recommend the Belle Epoque without any hesitation to anyone thinking of holding their wedding celebrations there. The Belle Epoque is quirky with a great ambiance and unique atmosphere.. We are already planning to book a meal and room for our first wedding anniversary at the Belle Epoque. Neil and Deborah Gardom

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple