“Wedding”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Sussex
“Wedding”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to a wedding reception here at the weekend, I have to say its a lovely hotel and the rooms are brilliant, the wedding was perfect and was a really fantastic venue. Unfortunately I am unable to give this an excellent score due to the service, there was one person on the bar all evening with over 150 guests, the breakfast in the morning was also served by one person, we waited 40 minutes for a coffee and toast, I did however complain and as soon as I did this 3 members of staff turned up to help, so that was good. All in all it was a great stay, just a little disappointed with the staffing levels. Also I was called by the hotel 2 days before checking in asking for the payment of the room, I had in fact pre-paid this 3 months prior and the lady I spoke too said she definitely could not see payment on her system, eventually she found my payment and all was good. lovely lovely venue, great food and backdrop, just needs more staff I felt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Iloveholidays34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a wedding at the weekend. Upon arrival, we had to park the car in the car park right at the entrance and then walk up to the entrance of the hotel (around a minute or two and is up hill so not good for poor walkers.) We were checked in straight away (as it was after 2pm), the lady on reception gave us no information, apart from directions to our room. We did not know when breakfast was or when we needed to check out.

Our room was miles away! But this might have been a good thing, as we had a few people in our room mid day to have a few drinks, rather than paying the expensive bar prices! It looked as though the area that our room was in was under rennovations as all the walls looked like they had just been plastered and there was an awful smell of paint. The room however was very big and so was the lovely bed! The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath, which we didn't use - unfortunately! I don't know whether they were going for a traditional theme (I think they were), but I feel the rooms were a bit dated as I prefer hotels with more of a modern touch. The fan in the bathroom was very loud, even when switched off and the room was quite dark as it only had a small window.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely, especially for wedding photos, and the room where we had the reception was big enough to hold say around 100 people with a nice patio area for when the sun is shining!

There is not much around where the hotel is, you would definitely need to drive into Knutsford if wanting to try a different restaurant or bar - I would say its about a 5/10 minute drive.

We cannot comment on the breakfast, as we missed it! Check out was nice and smooth at 11am!

All in all, I would not choose to stay here again, unless for a wedding, as I feel the room priced at around £155 is not worth it, but we did get a discount as it was for a wedding.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola L
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We attended our son and his fiance wedding here and it was just fantastic. The attention to detail from the staff was second to none. The food was excellent both at the reception and at other times.Jill the coordinator was always around and willing to help.The rooms are really good and the grounds are excellent for photos.

Room Tip: Don't go to the pub down the road as the food is poor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank barnwood
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Visited hotel as working in the area. The grounds are excellent and the reception area is small but welcoming - looked into the dining room which looked lovely but Knutsford provided a better variety of choice. The menu is comprehensive although the bar menu isn't very exciting and neither is the bar and rather characterless.
I moved rooms as my original room , Highgrove? Overlooked a roof and air conditioning units providing a background hum that was frankly irritating. I mentioned this in passing to the receptionist who insisted i moved and helped me move into a much better room. I would recommend the "lakeside" rooms although they don't overlook the lake at the rear of the hotel. Wifi kept dropping which was a shame but didn't cause me too much concern. Breakfast was really good with serve yourself cereals and juices with a menu driven breakfast - blueberry pancakes with maple syrup were excellent as was the coffee. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside - ground floor but away from the main part of the hotel so quiet and not overlooked...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen F
MereCourtHotel, General Manager at Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear StephenF.

Thank you for your comments and welcomed feedback.
We are currently looking at menu options on the lounge bar menu and this will be revised very soon.
I was happy to read that the receptionist was reactive to your request and that you liked our Lakeside bedrooms and our breakfast offerings.

I will report the Wifi issue to our I.T department and have checks carried out on the Lakeside bedroom connection.
Kind regards

John Murphy
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights over the Easter weekend as part of a wedding party.
Rooms were large and clean. All the staff were very polite and helpful.
Breakfast was help yourself apart from the egg which was cooked fresh to your liking, with cereals, fruits and pastries.
The food served at the Wedding Breakfast was absolutely fantastic, It was one of the best wedding meals I've ever had.
After returning home I discovered I had left something in our room which the staff duly found and posted back to my home address first class.Overall a lovely quiet location, within easy travelling to major road networks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank XKJaguar
Dear XKJaguar

Thank you for this excellent feedback from your stay & the wedding that you attended.

I am delighted to share these comments with my team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mere Court Hotel soon.

Kind regards

John Murphy
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I visited this hotel for a business meeting. The grounds are lovely; with well kept gardens, rolling lawns, winding paths and a duck pond out back. Upon entering, the lobby is traditional oak panelling, there is also an impressive dining room with two beautiful chandeliers. The bar area is nothing special, and could be any hotel bar.
Staff are very polite and helpful, check-in was straight forward. I ate in the restaurant; dinner, breakfast and lunch and all three times the food was exceptional.
The meeting room was spacious with natural light, and the quality of the beverages etc. served were good. It opened out onto a sunny patio offering a welcome break during the day.

So all in all a lovely hotel in a lovely setting. BUT the rooms are in desperate need of refurbishing. I stayed in 'Blenheim' which disappointingly did not live up to expectations. It was stiflingly hot when I entered, the radiator was on full. The bed in my room was lumpy and too soft, and the divan was dirty. Definitely ready for replacing. The decor and furnishings were dated and tired, the whole room was badly styled and old fashioned, but not in a good way. A badly painted pipe disappeared into the desk, and was very hot to the touch - it should be boxed in at least. The fridge was empty and 'locked', what's all that about? The room was also dusty with peeling wallpaper. The bathroom was chintzy, and also old fashioned. There was no 'attention to detail', wonky toilet roll holder, 3 tissues stuffed in a box, stained floor, screws protruding with nothing attached - you know the score. On the plus side the towels were fluffy and thick, although I only discovered the switch for the heated towel rail when I was ready the leave!
It's such a shame as everything else was good (although I did spot the odd cobweb here and there!) and in such a lovely setting with easy access off the motorway.
Gone are the days where I am happy to put up with it. These country hotels really need to 'up their game' if they are to survive as guests become more discerning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lancashire
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a Travelzoo deal and it was excellent value for money. We had a three course evening meal which was cooked to perfection and the service was excellent. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice .
The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff professional especially the lovely lady on reception . My only criticism is I think the hotel decor is a little tired and the hotel could do with an update .Would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank CAAK
MereCourtHotel, Manager at Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for such a great review. Its always nice to hear such wonderful comments. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Jake Fuller
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Knutsford (Mere) Hotel
Longview Hotel
Longview Hotel
#8 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre? Share your experiences!