“Didn't sleep a wink!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Knutsford
Chester, United Kingdom
“Didn't sleep a wink!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Stayed just one night. Dined in the restaurant. The hotel was busy with a wedding which accounted for the sporadic service we experienced in the restaurant - it was quite amusing how the people on the next table who were obviously taste-testing for a future function received all the attention from the serving management and staff! The room was large but dated, bathroom reasonably clean. However, the pillows were absolutely awful (thin, hard & lumpy), so we did not sleep at all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

stayed at the mere court for one night its the best hotel we have stayed in from arriving to leaving everything was perfect.We booked direct with mere court £110 for the two of us with a evening 3 course meal and a bottle of wine also breakfast included in the morning.The evening meal was first class then the receptionist who was very polite and nice phoned us a taxi because we was going a wedding at arley hall the taxi was a bit steep £15 going and £21 coming back .Our room was very clean and big all you would need in there.In the morning we had breakfast which was also very nice all help yourself the hotel has got lovely gardens to sit in and walk round would reccomend the mere court and would go back again thankyou to all the staff for making our night very nice .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

Stayed here for the Sunday night after visiting Tatton Park Show. This hotel oozes old wolrld charm and is the perfect place to stay when visiting this very nice area.
The hotel is set well back from the main Warrington road and has extensive well manicured grounds so there is no traffic noise.
The hotel has many original arts and craft features that make it feel very homely and welcoming.
From our arrival to leaving we found the staff to be the friendliest and efficient that we have met, in particular I would single out the duty/restaurant manager that Sunday evening, I'm sorry we didn't get his name,but he is turkish. He was very polite, efficient and attentive to our every need.
We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, with a bottle of wine thrown in for good measure. The three course meal and the breakfast were excellent in quality and presentation. Compliments to the Chef and team.
We will definately stay here again when we return to see more of the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

I was looking for a hotel near Tatton Park and came across Mere Court. How lucky was that! We were given a Lakeside room which was really large and well furnished in the country house style. The bathroom was small but had everything we needed and the spa style bath actually worked which I have found not always to be the case in other hotels. As said by other reviewers the standards of cleanliness are very high. We took the dinner bed and breakfast deal which included a bottle of wine (with dinner not breakfast!) and was fantastic value for money as the food was excellent with plenty of choice. We were given a warm welcome by the receptionist and all the staff we came across were very friendly and helpful. Sadly the weather was not so good when we were there but the hotel has wonderful grounds awash with flowers and places to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine if you can. It would be a wonderful venue for a wedding as there is a large function room with windows opening onto the lake and a terrace. If I have anything other than positive comments it would be that the room was a little dark as the window was small and looked onto the back of the hotel but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

We stayed here one night 10th July 2010 for our friends wedding. The entire day and night was a treat! The reception meal and evening do were very well organized and the food and service at both were very good.
The bar was a little pricey however, I expected it to be a little cheaper for a large function but maybe that's because I'm from Yorkshire :)

we stayed up outside until 3:30am and the chap on duty was very nice bringing us pots of tea at such a late hour.

Our room was beautiful also, we were up in the rafters a bit with a mild sloping roof so didn't get a nice big window or as much floorspace as some of the other rooms but it was still outstanding and a whirlpool bath as standard is a very welcome sight.
All in all an excellent choice for the wedding and a nights stay

• Stayed July 2010
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

I have been at this hotel since late January and stay Monday to Friday. I'm now entering my fifth month at this hotel.

I tried a couple of other hotels in the Knutsford area but didn't like them. I settled on the Mere Court eventually and have been staying there for months now. It's located off a main road and set in beautiful grounds. There is a great deal of free parking available.

The check-in process is very efficient and these days my room key is waiting for me when I turn up after work on Monday evenings. All of the reception staff that I have encountered have been exceptionally friendly and it is just so nice to be greeted courteously and with a smile after a hard day's work in the office!

There are two main styles of rooms that I have been allocated over the months - the 'house' rooms in the main building and the Lakeside rooms which are located in a separate wing of the hotel. I think the house rooms would probably suit couples as they are more cosy whereas the Lakeside rooms would suit business travellers (these are more airy and spacious with more room to work in).

Over the last few months that i've stayed at the Mere Court, each room has been cleaned and set up perfectly. Nothing has ever been missing. I've even got to know some of the rooms rather well now as i've stayed in the same rooms several times!

The beds in the Lakeside rooms are two beds joined together so, for a single person, there is a lot of room! The rooms themselves are not air-conditioned but I haven't had a problem heating the rooms or cooling them down as each room has a radiator with a temperature control and windows that can be opened.

There is a desk and a couple of armchairs with a small coffee table in the Lakeside rooms. Each room has a widescreen TV showing all the Freeview channels and also some of the Sky Sports channels (through analogue TV).

The bathroom has a heated towel rail with two bath towels, two hand towels and two face towels. There are complimentary toiletries too. The bath is a jacuzzi bath although i've never used the jacuzzi feature. The shower is very powerful and refreshing and is not fixed like in other hotels. There's a room phone in the bathroom too and an extractor fan that comes on with the light. The only slight downside is that there are two separate taps for the washbasin and not a single mixer tap.

The rooms are plushly carpeted and look very cosy and homely. There is an iron and an ironing board in the cupboard with a decent number of hangers for your clothes. There are loads of lamps dotted around the room so you can vary the lighting to suit your mood. There is free wireless Internet available from every room which I use daily for work and non-work surfing. It also works with VPN connections for any technically-minded people out there.

The curtains are thick and heavy and ensure that your room can be blacked out if you want it to. There is a complimentary bottle of mineral water in the room, biscuits and tea and coffee with a kettle. There is an empty minibar that you can get the key for to keep your own food and drinks cool.

In terms of dining the breakfast is very good with a huge range of options with a hot breakfast cooked to order or a buffet-style continental breakfast. I haven't tried the restaurant for dinner but always order through room service. The food is beautifully presented and there is a good selection from the various menus - from light snacks, soups, salads, jacket potatoes, etc., through to full-blown main courses and a small selection of desserts. I've even been able to get the food tailord to my requirements! It's also great that the hotel staff learn of your dining habits and know exactly how you like various dishes and drinks. It's that personal touch that has kept me re-booking this hotel.

The hotel has a pub-style bar but I haven't sat down for a drink there.

The hotel is predominantly a wedding and conference hotel so you may get the odd mid-week wedding when things get a little noisy in the evening but the hotel staff have always told be about any weddings that clash with my future bookings beforehand.

The hotel doesn't have a gymnasium and this caused me some issues initially. I didn't really want to stay at nearby hotels that did have a gym as I preferred the hospitality of the Mere Court. So, I found my own running track: turn left outside the hotel and follow the road all the way down to the traffic lights - it's a distance of around 1.1 miles down and 1.1 miles back up again so it's a nice jog. The path is quite narrow so you do need to focus on your running to stop yourself from leaving the footpath! It's eerily quiet at times and you pass the overhead electricity lines that make a crackling sound, the Premier Inn on your left, the car hand wash place on your right, a truck lay-by on your right and then eventually the traffic lights at the major road junction. A lot of cyclists meet up at the Premier Inn nearby and cycle up and down my running route.

Checking out is a very quick process - i've never had more than one person in front of me for checking-in or checking-out.

All in all, the friendliness of the staff, the personal touch, the bedrooms and the quiet location make this a great hotel to stay in. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Taz0101
Northwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

We held our wedding here and i have to say it was the best day of my life the staff couldn't do enough for us the whole day ran smoothly it was perfect and the food was superb would definitely recommend to anyone getting married or even for a nice meal .

• Stayed April 2009
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FionaGoodwin, Head Receptionist at Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre, responded to this review, 19 March 2010
We at Mere Court are glad you had such a fantastic wedding. I agree that the room looked amazing!
We hope to welcome you back to Mere Court in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,372 reviews
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Statham Lodge Hotel
Premier Inn Knutsford (Mere) Hotel

Been to Mere Court Hotel And Conference Centre? Share your experiences!