“Disappointed”
Review of Golden Pheasant

Golden Pheasant
Ranked #9 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Looking forward to sitting outside for lunch. Chose to sit at the side overlooking the gardens. The tables were all filthy, covered in stale food and bird dirt, not appealing, and the gardens were completely overgrown and unkept.

The food was very average but the staff tried their best. Would not rush back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Diana B

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Following a recent bereavement the family decided it was time for a evening away at a location that we could all travel to without going too far - we "plumped" for the Golden Pheasant at Plumley& we we not disappointed.

The four rooms we took were nicely appointed & very comfortable. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent with very generous portions (2 of us had Seabass which was the whole 2 fillets of fish !) at very reasonable prices.

In fact all the food was extremely well received by the 8 of us - collectively we consumed the range of mains from lamb Curry, fish & chips, lamb shank, seabass & steak - all that coulds be heard was happy happy sounds !

After a good nights sleep (could have been the wine that helped !), we breakfasted on a typical "Full English" which even after the previous evening we all managed to clear ! - Diet starts again today !

So many thanks to GP - we'll be back !

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are larger (as you might expect ) with "dual aspect" (as my sister p...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Eaten here scores of times over many years.
Food and service are normally excellent in every respect.
Lovely surroundings and ambiance.
I tend to avoid 'early doors' in the week when the staff on duty are often less
experienced.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Visited one Sunday in March 2013.Party of Six.

Lovely interior, but they could have switched the heating up.!

Food - Ordered mainly Sunday roasts which were OK.Nice rosemary taste to the lamb and garlic on roast potatoes. Good to have properly cooked veg although a little light for six people.

A couple of the meals could have been a bit hotter, but not a major problem.

So all in all food OK, but not spectacular.

So lets come to the problem area for me...... customer service, But before I go into that let me say I spent my entire working life in customer service..... it's a big thing for me, so some might think I'm being harsh.

The staff were smart in dress and appearance, but in the hour and a half we were there I don't think we saw a smile. I appreciate they are young and it may be just a job but it was sort of a faceless mediocrity that does nothing for you. Everything is done efficiently, but there is no warmth. For us, going out should be an experience and in driving away we all agreed it was
"alright".

I am of the generation that expects to be said "Hello" "Thank You "and "Goodbye" to. Sadly lacking I'm afraid.

Summed up as we left, when the waitress who served us ignored us......!

For the money we paid we probably felt it wasn't quite up the mark, but then again there aren't many pubs locally that are.

I certainly wouldn't recommend either way.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jonathan j
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We really enjoy this pub and food, but we class it as a bit of a treat as it is a bit pricey. But, in my opinion you get what you pay for! i would recommend you try it for traditional and well excuted pub food.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Central Liverpool
Pickmere Country House
#3 of 14 in Knutsford
The Dog Over Peover
#4 of 14 in Knutsford

Been to Golden Pheasant? Share your experiences!