“Lovely time”

Ranked #8 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Lovely time”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We visited the Golden Pheasant one summers evening just before I was going away for a while. Meal and atmosphere was fantastic, plenty of food, reasonably priced and the place is just really well laid out.
Only slight niggle was time if took to be severed and seen too. Would certainly go again in the future

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We visited the golden pheasant on saturday night for the first time in 5 years having been told its much improved from friends. Our welcome was understated having watched the bar staff more interested in their phones than customer service! But the young girl soon changed our minds by apologising and quickly serving our drinks and directing us to our table in a lovely restaurant with linen table cloths and napkins (a rareity these days). The waiter with the pink shirt served us (the mention of the shirt colour of the waiter will soon become apparent), he was very polite and gave us our menus and said he'll be back to take our order in a few minutes. When he came to take the order I asked if he would recommend anything to which he replied the beef madras was lovely, so myself and my husband had it (delightful!) Well recommended! Our friends had fish and chips and pork fillet which I was informed came highly recommended. When we finished our plates were cleared by another waiter this time in a dark shirt, with I think they call it designer stubble but I call it scruffy! His attitude left a lot to be desired, boredering on rude, but most definately arrogant springs to mind! When half of our dishes were cleared he came back to finish grumpily and begrudgingly clear our table. (If he is the apitomism of customer service, I recommend not to be served by him!) The first came back to take our dessert and coffee order and the thought and attitude of second was once again banished from our minds. When we asked the first waiter for our bill he brought it back with 4 mints and a smile and hoped everything had been to our satisfaction. When coming to pay the second waiter re appeared and leant against the wooden post in a slouchy manner as if he were in his kitchen at home (you know what I mean)! Took our payment without a thanks or a goodnight. Quite frankly THE WORST waiter I have ever come across! Would I visit again? Yes but only if I wasn't served by waiter number 2! I must add there was 2 other waiters working, a tall one (very polite and attentive) but didn't have much contact with and a smaller one who only collected glasses so have no comment to make. A mixed night made good by waiter number one and the young girl on the bar, but waiter number 2 definitely needs to go back to customer service school!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lyn r
Conwy, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

After enjoying an excellent Sunday Buffet earlier this year returned and it is no longer offered. Sunday lunch now brought to table. Not as good. Please bring back the buffet. Service lacking at times.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank North Wales H
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Looking forward to sitting outside for lunch. Chose to sit at the side overlooking the gardens. The tables were all filthy, covered in stale food and bird dirt, not appealing, and the gardens were completely overgrown and unkept.

The food was very average but the staff tried their best. Would not rush back.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Diana B
england
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Following a recent bereavement the family decided it was time for a evening away at a location that we could all travel to without going too far - we "plumped" for the Golden Pheasant at Plumley& we we not disappointed.

The four rooms we took were nicely appointed & very comfortable. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent with very generous portions (2 of us had Seabass which was the whole 2 fillets of fish !) at very reasonable prices.

In fact all the food was extremely well received by the 8 of us - collectively we consumed the range of mains from lamb Curry, fish & chips, lamb shank, seabass & steak - all that coulds be heard was happy happy sounds !

After a good nights sleep (could have been the wine that helped !), we breakfasted on a typical "Full English" which even after the previous evening we all managed to clear ! - Diet starts again today !

So many thanks to GP - we'll be back !

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are larger (as you might expect ) with "dual aspect" (as my sister p...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Eaten here scores of times over many years.
Food and service are normally excellent in every respect.
Lovely surroundings and ambiance.
I tend to avoid 'early doors' in the week when the staff on duty are often less
experienced.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael H
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Visited one Sunday in March 2013.Party of Six.

Lovely interior, but they could have switched the heating up.!

Food - Ordered mainly Sunday roasts which were OK.Nice rosemary taste to the lamb and garlic on roast potatoes. Good to have properly cooked veg although a little light for six people.

A couple of the meals could have been a bit hotter, but not a major problem.

So all in all food OK, but not spectacular.

So lets come to the problem area for me...... customer service, But before I go into that let me say I spent my entire working life in customer service..... it's a big thing for me, so some might think I'm being harsh.

The staff were smart in dress and appearance, but in the hour and a half we were there I don't think we saw a smile. I appreciate they are young and it may be just a job but it was sort of a faceless mediocrity that does nothing for you. Everything is done efficiently, but there is no warmth. For us, going out should be an experience and in driving away we all agreed it was
"alright".

I am of the generation that expects to be said "Hello" "Thank You "and "Goodbye" to. Sadly lacking I'm afraid.

Summed up as we left, when the waitress who served us ignored us......!

For the money we paid we probably felt it wasn't quite up the mark, but then again there aren't many pubs locally that are.

I certainly wouldn't recommend either way.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jonathan j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Northwich Lostock Gralam
Pickmere Country House
Pickmere Country House
#3 of 14 in Knutsford

Been to Golden Pheasant? Share your experiences!