Golden Pheasant
The Park Royal(Stretton)
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsthe pubsunday roastrural settingrecent refurbishmentlamb shanklovely mealfish and chipsa lovely staywould stay againfull englishleesyorkshirevenuejunctioncheshire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Thanks to Richard and his team for yet another great stay at the Golden Pheasant.

The location is super ( close to M6 and a stones throw to the railway station), decor is tasteful , food is out of this world. (It actually has flavour!) and the real ale delightful.

Highly recommended and you will be sure to get a warm friendly welcome from the team.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After having been to the Golden Pheasent a couple of times over the summer months, once to eat alfresco on a lovely summers day ,where we had an extremely tasty sandwich served by friendly helpfull staff ,and once for a very enjoyable beautifully presented meal in an evening, we decided to take friends along for new years eve. We were greated and shown to our table by a very smartly dressed manager , the restaurent has many interesting antiques and pieces of furniture which adds to the elegant surroundings.The food was beautifully presented and plenty of it !! therefore in my opinion value for money when you compare to the size of portions in these so called "trendy restaurents" . my soup was hot and stayed hot till i got to the bottom of the dish , which on a cold night went down really well. The rest of the meal was beautifull and our friends wer equally impressed and infact one of them is in catering and couldnt get over the quality of the food.All in all, had a superb meal in lovely surroundings , served by friendly helpfull staff.What more could you want ? will definately retun very soon .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We visited the Golden Pheasant one summers evening just before I was going away for a while. Meal and atmosphere was fantastic, plenty of food, reasonably priced and the place is just really well laid out.
Only slight niggle was time if took to be severed and seen too. Would certainly go again in the future

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We visited the golden pheasant on saturday night for the first time in 5 years having been told its much improved from friends. Our welcome was understated having watched the bar staff more interested in their phones than customer service! But the young girl soon changed our minds by apologising and quickly serving our drinks and directing us to our table in a lovely restaurant with linen table cloths and napkins (a rareity these days). The waiter with the pink shirt served us (the mention of the shirt colour of the waiter will soon become apparent), he was very polite and gave us our menus and said he'll be back to take our order in a few minutes. When he came to take the order I asked if he would recommend anything to which he replied the beef madras was lovely, so myself and my husband had it (delightful!) Well recommended! Our friends had fish and chips and pork fillet which I was informed came highly recommended. When we finished our plates were cleared by another waiter this time in a dark shirt, with I think they call it designer stubble but I call it scruffy! His attitude left a lot to be desired, boredering on rude, but most definately arrogant springs to mind! When half of our dishes were cleared he came back to finish grumpily and begrudgingly clear our table. (If he is the apitomism of customer service, I recommend not to be served by him!) The first came back to take our dessert and coffee order and the thought and attitude of second was once again banished from our minds. When we asked the first waiter for our bill he brought it back with 4 mints and a smile and hoped everything had been to our satisfaction. When coming to pay the second waiter re appeared and leant against the wooden post in a slouchy manner as if he were in his kitchen at home (you know what I mean)! Took our payment without a thanks or a goodnight. Quite frankly THE WORST waiter I have ever come across! Would I visit again? Yes but only if I wasn't served by waiter number 2! I must add there was 2 other waiters working, a tall one (very polite and attentive) but didn't have much contact with and a smaller one who only collected glasses so have no comment to make. A mixed night made good by waiter number one and the young girl on the bar, but waiter number 2 definitely needs to go back to customer service school!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lyn r
Reviewed 23 June 2013

After enjoying an excellent Sunday Buffet earlier this year returned and it is no longer offered. Sunday lunch now brought to table. Not as good. Please bring back the buffet. Service lacking at times.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple