“disapointing food”

The Dog Over Peover
Ranked #4 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My wife and I ate at this pub last night, what a disappointment! The pub is nice and the staff very friendly, but the food I would not bother with. My wife had a risotto which was pretty much just mush, I had a steak which must have been one of the toughest bits of meat I have ever eaten. They really need to look at all aspects of their food from who is cooking it to where they are buying it from. A real shame, it is a very competitive market in this part of Cheshire and it is just not good enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bev B

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Incredible good luck to book in to The Dog for a couple of Southerners just up North for a night.
Once we had found The Dog we were shown to our room by the manageress who then looked after us for the rest of our stay. When it came to ordering our evening meal we were informed another two dishes were being prepared but not on the menu, ten minutes later the menus had been reprinted complete with new dishes. My bacon chop was just so tender, by far the best piece of gammon I have tasted.
Our room and en-suite was well appointed, comfortable and roomy, breakfast, served from 7.30 was comprehensive, I'm glad I only ordered the mini English breakfast, it was as much as I could manage with toast and coffee.
Good value for money, how a pub, restaurant, b and b should be run.

Room Tip: Our room was No. 6 a twin bedded room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was in the Dog for just 1 night, to take my flight back to germany the day after. I spend there a very good night. Staff was ver pleasant and helpfull. Good and beers were goods and I enjoy a lot the comfortable pub and its fireplaces. The room itself was very nicelly decorated, clean and spacious. The breakfast in the morning was freshly cooked (full english breakfast) and served at the table.
The airport is only 30 minutes driving. The value for money for this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Sunday lunch at the Dog is a must if you are in the area. Lovely food, great surroundings and roaring fires! What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Worth every penny as the food was amazing could not fault it at all. Will go again if ever in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blandy_10
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We Live local and use the Dog regularly for drinks and sometimes snacks.However today my husband had a crayfish sandwich which came with garnish and few chunky chips for around £6.75. I ordered calamari, when it came it looked like all the batter bits that are left in the fryer and it was a very small portion, the taste was ok but to be honest it was just like eating crisps as the calamari was non existent. Unacceptable for this sort of establishment.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alanorah B
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Everything about The Dog was friendly, with plenty of energy and attention to customers. Log fires great staff and very good food added up to a lovely if brief stay. Quiet location with easy access to local National trust properties.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This used to be my local pub 35 years ago and so this for me was a journey down memory lane. I moved to work and live in Scotland and came back to visit the church my wife and I got married in and to add to the nostalgia we stayed a night in the Dog my old local pub.

The pub had been taken over earlier in the year and the new owners had completely up graded it. All I can say is WOW !!! What a beautiful place now and the food was simply fantastic, a wonderful friendly atmosphere and very busy even on a Thursday night. Lots of people eating and enjoying the very pleasurable evening in this rather fine old village pub which has been re-borne as a very smart and classy place to relax and dine.

If you are in the area this is a must place to visit and the chef should be congratulated on his inspired up market pub grub menu. We stayed the night in a very comfortable room. For breakfast I had kippers with two poached eggs and a fine chunk of home made bread, simply excellent.

If you live in Cheshire you should jump in your car and pay them a visit, you will not be disappointed. I have rated the rooms as average but they are due to be refurbished as the next phase.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knutsford
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 14 in Knutsford
Pickmere Country House
Pickmere Country House
#3 of 14 in Knutsford

Been to The Dog Over Peover? Share your experiences!