“Disappointing”

and 1 more site!
The Shore
Ranked #10 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Shore Hotel for four nights and had mixed feelings about the Hotel in general. It was sold to us as a Boutique hotel and our Room 12 failed in every respect in terms of size,cleanliness and comfort.
The en suite facilities were very basic and the distinct lack of storage space meant we were unable to unpack our cases.
We enjoyed our Breakfasts generally apart from one occasion when our Smoked Haddock was not properly cooked.
In view of the above comments we feel the hotel is grossly overpriced for what it has to offer.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin D
Karen C, General Manager at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review. Room 12 is one of our smaller twin rooms with a small ensuite.. For guests wishing to stay with us in the future who are looking for a larger room. larger ensuite, more storage space and with sea views ask for rooms 14 and 15. Rooms 23 and 24 are also twin rooms with sea views and newly fitted bathrooms.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I've been to shore quite a few times , lovely cocktails and at a very good price . I spilt my friends drink and straight away she was offered another one free of charge from the owner. The bar man Ray was very nice and helpful as my battery had died I asked if there was anyway I could charge it and it wasn't any problem. If your going out for a drink in orkney i would deffinatly reccomend it .Great staff,drinks and atmosphere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erika R
Karen C, Owner at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your cocktails at the Shore and that Ray looked after you well. Lovely to hear that you are recommending us to others.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Have recently spent two nights at the Shore on a stag weekend,on my first visit to Orkney.The room was well presented,comfortable and a good size for a twin room.A lovely breakfast was provided,cereal,toast and a full Scottish.The staff were all very welcoming and friendy and a special mention for Ray who was the perfect host.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HarlequinKirkcaldy
Karen C, Owner at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Many thanks for your lovely comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always review customer feedback at our staff meetings so I will make sure that I pass on your lovely comments.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Have just spent three nights at The Shore as part of a larger group of 10 of us. We were made very welcome particularly by Julie, who did everything she could to ensure we had a good time whilst there. The room was large and comfortable at the top of the hotel with an excellent large shower. Over our stay we had breakfasts, lunch and dinners in the hotel all of which were very well presented and cooked.

Room Tip: Apparently room 18 is above bar so can be noisy until bar shuts at 12:30 and apparently room 15 is h...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Have just returned from a lovely three night stay at this very comfortable and extremely friendly and welcoming hotel. Our room was very comfortable, clean and pleasantly decorated with an attractive well fitted en-suite shower room. The breakfasts were plentiful and tasty. We also had a dinner and lunch in the hotel and were not disappointed. Both were delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were all very friendly. Julie in particular couldn't have been more helpful and did everything she could to make our stay as good as it could be. I look forward to a return trip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stay at a lot of hotels in Scotland both with my family and indeed as a single business traveller. On this occasion my journey was a long drive from Inverness, Pentland Firth ferry crossing, and a drive to Kirkwall on a Sunday night in order to achieve my work requirements. I booked a room direct at the Shore Inn where I had not stayed previously but who's website suggested a decent level of establishment, 1 x nights B&B rate being £75. Fine. Arrived to a cold room with no heating turned on, 1oC outside, mmm. No matter. Lovely haddock & chips by myself at 8.30pm in the lounge bar, a bit unfortunate that the TV was on with a programme I wanted to watch but Radio 1 was being played over the speakers to no-one in particular. Considerate staff may have enquired as to what I might have liked passing my ears given my sole occupation. Also unfortunate that I had to listen to the receptionist / barman / waiter bleat to the chef about the possibility of missing his 11.20pm bus home with no thought to having this pass the ears of a nearby customer. No matter. The same individual kindly arranged a continental breakfast tray for me, albeit with no cutlery!, given he thought that breakfast started at 8am and I need to be away at 7.30am. Good nights sleep had. Whilst enjoying my spoon cut croissant and tea-spoon fed muesli I tried hard not to consider eggs benedict, freshly squeezed orange juice or a bacon sarny. No matter. At check out I was more than a little surprised to find a dining room full of fellow guests gorging on the morning delights that a hotel of such grandeur can facilitate. Ahem. It would appear the Receptionist / Barman / Waiter did not even know when breakfast commenced, information I am sure is obviously not considered essential for the management to train their staff upon? Or for him to even care? No big problems at this hotel but left feeling pretty hungry and left out of the breakfast party. Whilst the cheery lady was checking me out most apologetically no discount, even a token buck or two, was offered for my cold room and paltry breakfast despite imparting this information to her upon her usual request of 'was everything ok with your stay Sir?'. Mmmmm .. Poor. No matter.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Frazer G
Karen C, General Manager at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

I would like to apologise to this guest. The duty supervisor at The Shore had already let me know that there had been issues with the stay of this guest and I sent a letter of apology on the day that the guest departed. In terms of the heating in the room, all rooms have heaters with timers that should be set to come on for the duration of the stay of guests. We should always check the timers before the guests go into the rooms and staff have since been re-trained how to do this. I am pleased that you enjoyed your haddock and chips. We usually have background music playing in the lounge so I agree that it is unusual to have radio one and the tv playing at the same time. Again, this is a staff re-training issue as it should just be soft background music in the lounge in the evenings. I am also sorry that you were told the wrong time for breakfast. We start breakfast at 7am during the week and 8am at weekends. The member of staff is very sorry for giving you the wrong time for a weekday breakfast. My letter to the guest will give a personal apology but I agree that we can, and usually do, a lot better than this.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Good size room ,clean & tidy, bed comfortable. Evening meal was excellent & I highly recommend the Orcadian beef, which was delicious. Would overnight there again.
Great location overlooking the harbour,and only a few minutes walk to catch the Outer Island Ferry.
Staff friendly and welcoming and very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EAS108
Karen C, General Manager at The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you also enjoyed your meal, particularly the Orkney beef. Your kind word ate much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
0 mi away
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village

Been to The Shore? Share your experiences!