“Unforgettable sunset view”

Hildeval Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here in June 2011 enjoying the beautiful Orkney islands.

The house was beautiful either in the outside as in the inside and the room was simply amazing.

The window in the room was huge and you can see the sea and the sunset, simply wonderful.

Totally recommended

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ethervoid

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on business and I must say I wish I was staying longer! Arrived to a friendly owner/manager who showed me to my room and helped me out with a map of Kirkwall which allowed me to find restaurants and business meeting locations. The room was great was a modern ,clean and tidy bathroom.

Breakfast in the morning was great with a friendly lad serving and engaging in chat about the local area plus recommending places to visit. The breakfast room has a great view of the island and really does motivate you to get out and explore. Great B&B, will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Greig C
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We travelled to Kirkwall for business purposes travelling by car. We arrived in the dark to find Hildeval easily and well lit up with adequate parking. Our room was ideal with everything finished to a high standard, good quality white linen bedding and all spotlessly clean. The en suite WC/shower room was modern and spacious. The towels were lovely too. The TV was good with the option of borrowing from a wide selection of DVDs had we wanted to do so. By morning we went upstairs to the large breakfast room with its big picture window overlooking the sea access to Kirkwall harbour. The breakfast selection and quality was of a very high standard and the full cooked breakfast beautifully presented and tasty. Wifi access was good considering the difficulties Orkney can have with phone signals and wifi... With the stairs to get to breakfast room someone with limited mobility may find this is a challenge. The owners are friendly and helpful without being overly intrusive. We loved being there even in the poor weather but would need a lot of self control to say no to the cooked breakfasts if we stayed any longer...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peppaddy
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Travelling to Kirkwall on business, I booked into a a B&B that looked on the map to be convenient for the places I needed to visit. The reviews I checked out before travalling promised that it would be a good place to stay.
Well Hildeval lived up to the promises. The warm, friendly welcome, good room, great breakfasts. It was a comfortable walk from the centre of Kirkwall, so long as you don't mind the walk being up hill. I managed it (with a suitcase) having taken the bus from the airport into Kirkwall. ( I have to admit, on day 2 I hired a car).
Hildeval was an excellent base from which to explore mainland Orkney, by car it is only 10 or 15 minutes from the airport, and only 5 minutes from the harbour.
The only minor niggle was that the phone signal in my room was patchy on O2 and non-existant on Vodaphone. Mind you, I stepped out of the front door and took a gentle stroll when I wanted to phone home. I suspect coverage elsewhere in the building could be better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank StuartP926
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were fortunate to find the Hindeval B and B in Kirkwall in May 2013. We found the ensuite room clean, modern and well furnished. We would not hesitate to recommend this B and B.
We would have loved to have a visit with this lovely couple but we only had the one night in our schedule. We will certainly book here again if we ever get the opportunity to stay in Kirkall again.
Jim and Mary Beth from Canada

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in a single room in early January.

The room was ensuite, with what looked to be a newly-refurbished shower cubicle and bathroom. The 'theme' of the B&B is dark colours, from the decor to the bedding and it adds to the overall ambience of the property. Whilst I'd booked a single room I did find it a little tight for space, but it is certainly manageable.

Parking is available to the front of the property, although this is on a slope (as are most things in Kirkwall!). Wi-Fi is also available free of charge in the property; if you have difficulty connecting to the network then ask the landlady as the password is changed regularly.

The landlady - Sheila, is very welcoming and friendly and does a mean porridge! Breakfast choices have to be made the previous evening, on the supplied slip of paper left in your room - this is then left out for the staff to collect. Other guests indulged in the full scottish breakfast. Coffee was either served from a machine or brought as a cafetiere to your table, tea is also available. A selection of fruit juices are also available.

The best thing about breakfast is the room it is served in - upstairs to make the most of the view across Kirkwall Bay to the neighbouring islands.

For evening meal you are half a mile walk out of the town centre, so very close to all amenities.

I would recommend and would use again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Greatly enjoyed our stay, delightful room, gracious hostess and excellent breakfasts. Extremely willing to accommodate our request for gluten free breakfast options (our hostess went out specially to buy bread). Meet some lovely people at the communal breakfast table. Loved the Orkney Soaps toilettries in the bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple