“Didn't start off well”
Review of Ardconnel B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Ardconnel B&B
Ranked #3 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This B&B comes with rave reviews about the welcome but I guess they can't be on top of the game all of the time. Despite agreeing an arrival time there was no one in when I arrived! Having said that the room was large and comfortable, the breakfast superb and they could not have been more helpful. It is a bit out of town but the bus will stop outside if you ask the driver.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Colin V

Reviewed 27 May 2014

A little out of town , very comfortable stay, John & Margaret wonderful couple & unknown to them we are going back for more "Island Hopping" next year, & hopefully stay with them !! that must be a good recommendation ! Breakfast was of a very high standard !
Ps it rained most of the day we left for Rousay on our Bikes but it didn't dampen our spirits !!!! Rousay is a must ! & the weather improved as well !!

Room Tip: We had room facing Kirkwall, great sunset !
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After reading the reviews we were excited to have booked the ardconnel b&b. The booking itself took some perseverance but we finally succeeded. The arrival was awkward, seemed like we arrived at the wrong moment. It didn't feel very welcome. This feeling didn't go away the next three nights. The room was ok, breakfast was ok but the normal warmth you get at a good b&b was not there. Everything seemed like it was too much an effort. It felt like the end of season when people need their rest but it's just starting. Anyway we enjoyed Orkney but wished we had chosen another b&b.

4  Thank Meiyousito
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I are on our first visit to the Orkney Islands, having wanted to come here for many years, since studying the archaeology and history at college (many moons ago). Ardconnel was the first B&B I looked at on Google and nothing else compared to it for reviews etc. and it has more than lived up to my expectations. Superb views across to Kirkwall Harbour. Beautiful downstairs twin bedroom with accessible wet-room. Breakfast which really sets you up for the day ahead. John and Margaret, plus other members of their family we've met are very welcoming, as is their gorgeous spaniel puppy!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'll simply re-state the vast majority of opinion on this place - outstanding. I stayed for three nights and the standard is exceptional.

I phoned on arrival in a very quiet, drizzly Kirkwall to ask for directions. Unexpectedly, Margaret drove down and collected me from the bus station. That sort of kindness isn't often encountered and I was extremely grateful for it.

The room was immaculate and far bigger than I had expected. Breakfast was the best I have ever eaten in a b&b - plenty of it and superbly cooked using the best quality food. John and Margaret are a lovely couple who can't do enough for their guests. I met John as I was setting off on foot for the town and he offered to turn round and drive me in. I'm a happy walker so declined his offer but that says it all. He was also weatherman, tour guide and bringer of toast!

I would go as far as to say this was the best b&b I have ever stayed in and I've stayed in many. I've tried to think of a fault to balance this review but honestly can't think of one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is my second visit to the Ardconnel B&B and its just perfect. I travel up to Orkney on Business once a year and the location is quiet but central to all the places I need to visit. My room was clean and extremely comfortable. Breakfasts were hearty and wholesome. What more do you need!! Thank you to Margaret and John for a pleasant stay....see you next year

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 2dognight_12
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Wonderful place to stay in Orkney! Good location, nice views. Breakfasts excellent, and Margaret and John are so welcoming. Definitely worth staying here, and I would again. Loved the morning updates on weather, etc. and the hints and tips on where to go and what to see.

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall
Hildeval Bed & Breakfast
Hildeval Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to Ardconnel B&B? Share your experiences!