“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ardconnel B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Ardconnel B&B
Ranked #3 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Blue Mountains, Australia
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Back in January, we’d booked a 3 night stay for the end of May.
A few weeks before our arrival, I’d emailed to confirm dates. I’d made a mistake in the confirmation email, the owner queried the dates, I apologised and clarified and thought all was okay.

We’d also advised back in January and again in May that we’d be arriving on the 2.30pm ferry and would be at Ardconnel around 3pm. Phoned when we landed, left a message & set off. Arrived to a lukewarm reception, were shown to our room, given a breakfast menu and ‘left to it’.

The room was fantastic: huge, plenty of cupboard storage, a view across the fields and a bathroom filled with natural light and ample storage for toiletries.
After travelling for over two months, we were looking forward to being settled in one place for 3 days and unpacked our suitcases.

Breakfast the following morning was very good and included plenty of fresh fruit and also fresh yoghurt.
Imagine our dismay after leaving the breakfast room to be told that a booking error had occurred and we couldn’t stay the third night. The owner was most apologetic, said it was his mistake and advised he’d booked us into another b & b nearby; he also offered to take our luggage to the new premises. We expressed our disappointment at having to move yet again; I asked how much the room would be and was told ‘the same’ and, if not, he would pay the extra.

The owners of the second b & b were a lovely couple and the room was very modern and clean and, while a fairly good size, was nowhere near as large as Ardconnel. The room cost a few pounds more than Ardonnel, however we didn’t bother going back and asking for a refund of the extra cost.

We wondered why we, rather than the incoming guests, had to be relocated from Ardconnel when we’d already been there for two nights but could only speculate on the possible reasons.

A minor issue was at breakfast the second morning. There were two tables set for 4; only one couple was there when we came down but we were basically told to ‘sit here’ next to the other couple while the other 4-seater table was empty, albeit cleared of all eating implements.

We tried not to let these two incidents spoil what was otherwise three wonderful days in the Orkneys and would not suggest avoiding Ardonnel - although those incidents are the reasons for the average rating. However I would strongly recommend that you confirm more than once that you will indeed have a room for the nights you have booked.

3 Thank nonameofoz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

After trying to get through to four B&B's in Kirkwall on the fifth Ardconnel answered and I am glad they did. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. The owners are very welcoming and helpful the room was spotless bed very comfortable and breakfast great. It is a good walk into Kirkwall especially in the light breeze, to the locals, force ten to me. But if you want a nice quiet B&B with a good breakfast stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This B&B comes with rave reviews about the welcome but I guess they can't be on top of the game all of the time. Despite agreeing an arrival time there was no one in when I arrived! Having said that the room was large and comfortable, the breakfast superb and they could not have been more helpful. It is a bit out of town but the bus will stop outside if you ask the driver.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Colin V
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

A little out of town , very comfortable stay, John & Margaret wonderful couple & unknown to them we are going back for more "Island Hopping" next year, & hopefully stay with them !! that must be a good recommendation ! Breakfast was of a very high standard !
Ps it rained most of the day we left for Rousay on our Bikes but it didn't dampen our spirits !!!! Rousay is a must ! & the weather improved as well !!

Room Tip: We had room facing Kirkwall, great sunset !
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

After reading the reviews we were excited to have booked the ardconnel b&b. The booking itself took some perseverance but we finally succeeded. The arrival was awkward, seemed like we arrived at the wrong moment. It didn't feel very welcome. This feeling didn't go away the next three nights. The room was ok, breakfast was ok but the normal warmth you get at a good b&b was not there. Everything seemed like it was too much an effort. It felt like the end of season when people need their rest but it's just starting. Anyway we enjoyed Orkney but wished we had chosen another b&b.

3 Thank Meiyousito
Maesteg, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I are on our first visit to the Orkney Islands, having wanted to come here for many years, since studying the archaeology and history at college (many moons ago). Ardconnel was the first B&B I looked at on Google and nothing else compared to it for reviews etc. and it has more than lived up to my expectations. Superb views across to Kirkwall Harbour. Beautiful downstairs twin bedroom with accessible wet-room. Breakfast which really sets you up for the day ahead. John and Margaret, plus other members of their family we've met are very welcoming, as is their gorgeous spaniel puppy!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'll simply re-state the vast majority of opinion on this place - outstanding. I stayed for three nights and the standard is exceptional.

I phoned on arrival in a very quiet, drizzly Kirkwall to ask for directions. Unexpectedly, Margaret drove down and collected me from the bus station. That sort of kindness isn't often encountered and I was extremely grateful for it.

The room was immaculate and far bigger than I had expected. Breakfast was the best I have ever eaten in a b&b - plenty of it and superbly cooked using the best quality food. John and Margaret are a lovely couple who can't do enough for their guests. I met John as I was setting off on foot for the town and he offered to turn round and drive me in. I'm a happy walker so declined his offer but that says it all. He was also weatherman, tour guide and bringer of toast!

I would go as far as to say this was the best b&b I have ever stayed in and I've stayed in many. I've tried to think of a fault to balance this review but honestly can't think of one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall
Smithfield Hotel
Smithfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby

Been to Ardconnel B&B? Share your experiences!