The Ayre Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$139
The Foveran(Kirkwall)
Lynnfield Hotel(Kirkwall)
The Sands Hotel(Burray Village)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsarchaeology toursea viewstaff was very friendly and helpfulthe sticky toffee puddingmain buildingexcellent hotelbreakfast was includedfree wifimodern hotelsmall tvbusiness tripwould highly recommend this hotelsmoked salmonhotel restaurantmy colleaguedining roomkirkwall bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed three nights at the Ayre Hotel and would highly recommend it. We received a very warm welcome. The room was very comfortable and with a sea view and the food was very good. As was the service. The best thing, however was the friendly caring atmosphere which was there all the time. Everyone spoke.
Gordon and Isabel

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Isabel K
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a family establishment. They were so helpful and responsive when planning my trip to Kirkwall. Clean, comfy room with a view of the sea and harbour. Nice breakfast available, and dinner in the restaurant was also very good. Well within walking distance of everything. Quiet location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank deegreen1956
Reviewed 30 October 2012

OK, I normally stay elsewhere in Orkney, this time it was fully booked and I looked at reviews in TA for an alternative and up popped the Ayre.

Fine hotel, lovely room overlooking the harbour, it was warm and inviting, with nice decor. I was advised that wifi was included in rate, good sized TV, nice hospitality tray, comfy beds, well appointed room and bathroom. Well done, first impressions 10/10.

Dinner was a bit of a mixed bag, no separate dining room, that was a bit disappointing, although not in public bar, people can come in and have a drink whilst you were eating.

Starters: (Seafood Trio) was excellent, well presented and plenty of it, will give you 10/10 here, faultless.

Mains: I asked for the £21 fillet steak – when asked I requested that it be cooked rare, however it was cooked blu, clearly underdone with uncooked dark red meat inside the fillet. As I was dining with colleagues, I didn't want to be left plateless whilst it was rectified so I just got on with it.. When asked by the young waitress if all was OK, I highlighted the fault and this and she must of thought this was a compliment as she said cool, I'll tell the chef. It was nothing special, a fillet steak with fried onion rings and chips and a serving of mixed veg, could of been better presented.

Breakfast: Big letdown, 2 what looked like weatherbeaten poached eggs with the white of the egg all over the plate served with thick grey watery bacon.

As I said, the Ayre Hotel is lovely, well appointed with good features with a nice welcome but the food is as you would get in most restaurants, in this case a dining room attached to a lounge bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Scottex
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I had a comfortable and well-prepared room with a sea view. Dinner was very good as were the breakfasts. The bar was set out for breakfasts the previous evening so I had to use the public bar part of the premises where the environment was not very relaxing - in fact I found the pub rather in need of updating and sprucing up. However, the hotel itself was fine and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank leaforis
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights 14th and 15th September 2012. We arrived off the Shetlands ferry after a very rough crossing getting to the hotel at almost 11pm. We received a warm welcome from the management with keys all ready for us and got to our room within 5 minutes of arrival. What a surprise – a HUGE obviously newly refurbished “boutique” style room in white and purple with a huge comfy bed, bed runner and cushions. The tea tray with biscuits was very welcome as we had not eaten much on the crossing! The bathroom was, likewise, newly refurbished and could not be faulted. After a great night’s sleep we went down for a very good breakfast with an extensive buffet table and a cooked breakfast. After a day exploring we returned for our evening meal which was also delicious. As we had to leave early the following morning we retired to watch a bit of TV on the excellent set and another good night. We had to have a very early breakfast so this was just from the buffet table but as it was extensive it was not a problem. Should we visit Kirkwall again we will certainly stay at this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room on the 1st floor as we were advised by the management that the 2nd floor will not be refurbished until later this year.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends