“Could do much better”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Northants, UK
“Could do much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We had a mixed experience here. Our room was very acceptable (apart from a shower head so high up that I struggled to rinse shampoo out - just not suited to a short person!). Breakfast is not enticing. If we arrived only 10-15 minutes before last breakfast time, we had consistently dried up, tough bacon, but if we arrived earlier, cooked breakfast delivery became very slow. We ate dinner our first evening and the food was very good. BUT, and this is where it went wrong for us: throughout dinner there were a number of young children playing very loudly with toys (supplied I think by the hotel, as they were lying around the next morning), which made conversation between just two of us difficult. There was a ruby wedding celebration party there that evening and I felt that locals were treated very specially, at the expense of tourists who were paying to sleep and dine there. The band played until well past 1 am and stopped us getting to sleep. Then at 3 am we were woken by the fire alarm (set off by a drunk party guest apparently). I know these things happen, but when I mentioned the noise at reception the next day, I was told that I should have phoned to get a change of room. This is not tempting past midnight... I feel instead that we should have been warned of a big party and offered a change in advance. Also, she agreed with me that music should stop at midnight, but said "the band just would not stop playing"... Surely a hotel can stop a band if they wish to! Perhaps also, a sign in reception next day, apologising for the fire alarm mishap, would have helped. So - it is well located and convenient, but as it was the most expensive of our hotel stays in various Shetland and Orkney island hotels, I felt it could do much better. I think they are trying to be suited to tourists and also to locals, and the balance does not quite work if tourists are paying high prices for less than high quality sleep because they do not wish to upset their party guests.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacky P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed a week at the Ayre Hotel and found the food excellent, and the staff unfailingly accommodating and helpful. My room looked over the sea and was very comfortable. It is conveniently located to all the museums, transport and the main streets of Kirkwall.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank JanBryant5
Monifieth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

I arrived very late and due to an error made by the online booking agent the hotel had reserved two rooms for me, the manager dealt with the issue very professionally and allowed me to call the online agents and try to sort the error, this meant that the hotel lost a booking for one room for the night which during an exceptionally busy period was a real loss to the business, i did appreciate that the manger did not make a huge issue of this fact and i am not sure if i would have reacted as he did, if you are reading you thank you again.

I stayed for only one evening but had driven about 400 miles that day and over slept on the Sunday morning and missed the breakfast time, i did not make any issue of my list breakfast and was exiting the reception on route to find a cafe in the town when the receptionist asked me if she could be of assistance, i replied only if you have access to a cooker two eggs and bacon!! She immediately asked me to hold on whilst she went to speak to the chef and returned 30 seconds later and advised the chef would put a grilled breakfast together for me if i would follow her to the dining room whereupon arrival there she poured me a coffee and an orange juice and reset a table for me, a lovely cooked breakfast arrived 3 minutes later, far beyond the service standard expected, thank you sincerely, sadly such service is scarce in this country but heartening to see the ethos of good service is alive and well at the Ayre hotel, i would highly recommend this hotel to any traveller and would not consider any other alternative whenever i return to Kirkwall, thank you.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank AlanMasterton
Shipston-on-Stour, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We have just spent nine days at the Ayre Hotel and have enjoyed a first class experience. The hotel and rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The food was excellent and the staff consistently very friendly and helpful. We hope to come again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Henry W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

A comfortable hotel, with helpful owners and delightful staff. The Hotel is well situated, being close enough to the centre of Kirkwall, but quiet and plenty of parking. Meals, both breakfast and dinner, were excellent, and used local produce.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Julia M
Helmsdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the Ayre Hotel twice,and both were excellent,the staff were very friendly and went out of their was to help.The room was looking over the harbour and was very clean,the evening meal was excellent and the staff were very professional,the breakfast was first class,we could not find fault with the Ayre.Orkney is a fantastic place to visit,there is so much to see and do and the Orkney people are the friendliest folk in the world.If you are looking for a fantastic holiday and a fantastic hotel,visit Orkney and stay at the Ayre Hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room looking out over the water,the view is fantastic.