“Last night in Kirkwall”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Last night in Kirkwall”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for my last night in Kirkwall. I did arrive a bit early and the room was ready. Everything was nice from really staff, meals etc. The only thing that wasn't good is the shower as there was only a trickle of water. Did mention it in the morning though. I probably would stay here again as it in a good location, across from the ferries to the Islands and close to shops and the bus station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alexanderhogg60
kirkwallhotel, General Manager at Kirkwall Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Good Day,
Thank you,we are delighted you enjoyed our hotel,food,and the staff,we always try to accommodate an early check in whenever possible,apologies for the water pressure at the time of you stay we were experiencing some problems which are now rectified .we look forward to your next visit to The Kirkwall.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Hyde, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stopped for dinner here on the way to the ferry for Shetland. The staff were very accommodating. The service was second to none and the food was excellent. We visited again on the way back as the food had been so good the first time. We will call there again if we are ever over there. The restaurant is well managed and very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn H
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I'd go with what another review has said in that my room was 'average', but that the food and the service are very good.

I stayed for one night at the end of March (having previously used the hotel bar), and was allocated a twin room at the rear of the property on the third floor. There is a lift for the less able, although I chose to use the stairs.

The room itself was quite nice - the beds were made up well and there was ample storage should I have required it, however it was let down by the ensuite (apparently recently refurbished). The Kirkwall Hotel is an old hotel (over 100 years old) and as such it would appear that the plumbing cannot keep up with demand when the hotel is full...my shower was no more than a trickle, and it was almost quicker to get out and have a strip wash. The rest of the ensuite was fine, albeit a little tight on space; clean towels and new toiletries were provided.

A second aspect that let the hotel down (in my opinion) was sound insulation. The hotel was very busy on the evening of my stay, and I had had a long day travelling to Kirkwall so wished to turn in early. Yet my rest was disturbed by next door neighbours, whose drawer and door slamming could be heard through the thin walls. I could also hear every word of their conversation - at least the noise was 'clean' shall we say. They eventually subsided at gone 1am which I did not appreciate.

I stayed on a B&B basis and breakfast was very good - polite staff, only too keen to help, and who apologised for the large amount of noise being made by chairs being scraped across the floor of the ballroom above.

Would I stay again? If I had to...would I recommend, yes, with earplugs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank britkit
DINGWALL
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Six of us including a 2 and a 4 yearold had a lovely lunch. Orkney beef to die for. Oh that cheesecake!! Everything was delicious. Staff helpful and friendly. Would recommend as good value and quality.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Manstandvd

Travellers are raving about these Kirkwall hotels

Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Situated on the front the Kirkwall Hotel is a traditional hotel and is in many way a typical Scottish highlands and islands hotel establishment. The bedroom was on the small side but adequate. The en-suite had a modern shower. The complementary wi-fi worked well. In the evening you could eat in either the bar or the restaurant. The emphasis on the menu was on local produce and the results were excellent. Worth trying a pint of the locally brewed dark Island to accompany your evening meal. The breakfast was a mixture of a buffet with hot options available. On the second morning of my stay I opted for a full Scottish breakfast to be confronted ten minutes later by an enormous plate of bacon, eggs, sausage, black pudding, haggis and all the trimmings. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to return sometime for a holiday to see more of the city and royal burgh of Kirkwall and the rest of the Orkney Islands.

Room Tip: If arriving by air, the number 4 bus will take you from the front of the Kirkwall airport terminal t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John R
Highlands
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed at the Kirkwall Hotel for 3 nights in April 2014. It is situated opposite the harbour and right at the end of the main shopping street so location is great. Also a few very good eateries very near. 5 mins walk from bus station and St.Magnus cathedral. We booked a double superior, paid £130 B&B per night. The room was smaller than pictures on web site showed. Bed very comfy but seemed quite short. No DVD player, bathrobes or slippers as mentioned on their web site for that standard of room. ARGOs shortbread on hospitality tray was gorgeous (we went looking for the bakery to take supplies home and found they are also the makers of the famous Orkney Fudge). Room was well heated and as promised good view of harbour. Bathroom was very small and in need of refurbishment. The shower tray was the smallest you can get and sloped so your feet slid to sides when soapy. Nor recommended for anyone larger than a size 10 or unsteady on their feet. We thought the room rate was quite expensive for the standard of room (we've paid the same for B&B in the Intercontinental San Francisco) but the breakfast is more than worth it. Best Hotel breakfast ever - all local produce (which is a premium brand). Romm 3/5 - Breakfast 6/5 - therefore 4/5 average. Lift is old fashioned where you have to open inner and outer door and make sure both are closed on entering and exit. We also ate in restaurant at night and again very impressive. £56 for 2 x 2 course meals plus drinks (seafood starters and steak course).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
victoria b.c.
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Kirkwall hotel.

Three nights of no sleep. Three nights of yelling, chanting and parties in next rooms beside me...in the hallways and directly out side my window. ( twice it turned out to be staff)......why didn't I complain ?, cause I was staying 3 nights and the regular staff who wrecked my nights were people that I still needed to deal with for breakfasts, checkouts and bar service.

Twice I had late evening " cleaners" come in my room as they told me that "nobody was registered"...and sorry.

It felt more like a fraternity house with nobody in charge.
Staff sighed heavily at special requests, completely ignore you til it's convenient for them to chat with you and chatted non stop about how wasted them and their friends got the night before....I don't really want to hear that.

Not professionally run with clearly no supervisors or senior staff on to deal with guest issues.

Centrally located in Kirkwall it's ideal for doing everything. It's beautiful, historical, and kept in excellent condition.
Breakfast was delicious, the few meals and puddings I had there were exceptional also...

Sadly all this was destroyed by what happens in the hotel after dark....

If I wasn't a guest I'd give it five stars.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Jo D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#1 of 1 in Harray
Smithfield Hotel
Smithfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby

Been to Kirkwall Hotel? Share your experiences!