“Well Patronised”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Luton UK
“Well Patronised”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Small bedroom on 3rd floor facing harbour giving nice view. Excellent bed & pillows with modern wardrobe, worktop/drawer unit plus bedside units with drawer. Over furnished with two armchairs plus small table resulting in cramped feel. TV (freeview channels) with text & subtitles functioning.
Tea/coffee tray with local shortbread & bottled water. One radiator plus hairdryer. No aircon or fridge but one radiator and adequate plug sockets.
Shower room with gel and shampoo supplied but no shelf or ledge in shower so don’t slip on the soap.
Interesting antique lift with old style double doors operated manually.
Hotel is privately owned and very popular, so restaurant and adjacent pub are well patronised. Hotel bar is quieter and pub prices prevail. They offer a good range of local brews (see photo)
Cooked breakfast very nice and served to your table.
Service standards were good & although bedroom walls were thin we were lucky that our neighbours were just as tired as us and we were not disturbed.
Kirkwall Hotel was commandeered as officer’s quarters during WW2 and they usually know the best spots in town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MuchtravelledOAP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ayrshire
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I don't know if it's just me but when I arrive at an old Hotel it always fills me with a sence of doom, just waiting on run down bedrooms that havn't been updated since the 60's, with horrible bathrooms that your scared to actually use or shower in. I think I may have stayed in a few over the years that have scarred me for life.

But a big hand for the Kirkwall Hotel, My room was as fresh as a daisy, everything looked very new, bathroom spotless with a great shower, again recently updated by the look of it, a cracking big LCD TV on the wall, also free wifi which was quick, and a lovely comfy bed, and a great view over the harbour.

I had dinner in the restaraunt, which again was lovely, the restaraunt still had the old charm of the hotel, which I liked, it wasn't ripped out to be some modern chic setting, but more in keeping with the age of the hotel. I had to laugh at an old couple beside me as the waiter tried to explain to them what Irn-Bru was.

It really is good when hoteliers put back in some money to the hotel to keep it fresh, rather than just relying on guaranteed income from the scottish tourist trade every year (other hotels in Orkney take note) Will definetly return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Dougstar
galashiels
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed two nights in this hotel as part of a coach tour.

Bedroom was ok, quite small and no view. Beds clean and comfortable.

Bathroom, very small and no bath. The water pressure wasn't great, but adequate. Shower not draining away properly. I mentioned it to housekeeping. Don't know if they did anything about it, but second day it was still the same.

Dinner was rather nice. The crispy cheese with apricot sauce was delightful. I chose wrongly for main course, the veggie option of gnocchi with home made tomato sauce and salad. There was nothing wrong with it, just not very exciting. Desert was Orkney fudge cheesecake. Lovely.

The staff in the dining room were excellent and couldn't do enough for us. At breakfast, we were asked to choose our menu for dinner. I asked about the type of cheese in the 'crispy cheese' and as the waiter couldn't describe it very well, he offered to bring me a sample.

I won't forget the waitresses description of weak tea in a hurry. She called it Lighthouse tea. Blinking near water!

Would I stay there again, probably.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank timeoutgalashiels
durham
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Recently stayed here for a night with a group of friends. We were travelling to various Islands in the Orkneys. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the hotel and it was great. I would stay in the hotel again .No complaints.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Richy51
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

With all the fabulous places to eat in the Kirkwall area I would say avoid this one. We went in during a very quiet late afternoon just before main dinner service began, so limited lunchtime menu. Service was very poor, you think someone having walked past and looked at our table 6 times in 10 minutes would have noticed the empty glasses and the fact I eventually moved them to the other end of the table would have asked if we would like another drink. When a steak pie comes out of the kitchen in under 5 mins you know it's not freshly made. A bland uninspiring cheese board, when the best thing on it is the chutney you know it's not worth the effort. I'm trying desperately to think of something positive to say about our visit but failing miserably. With all the wonderful local produce available here you would think it would be worth taking advantage of it, but expensive mediocre pub grub doesn't really cut it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank julesm13
kirkwallhotel, General Manager at Kirkwall Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
You were dining from our all day menu which is a reduced but comprehensive selection of main courses,snacks and desserts all of which are locally sourced foods,not sure if you would prefer to wait the 2 hours that takes for the steak pie to be made? it is so popular that a fresh batch is made every day from quality beef supplied by our local butcher ,our head chef has had to put his steak pie on all our menus due to customer demand and has been for 18 years.you will also find that all our fairly priced menus from lunch,skippers bar,to our full a la carte locally sourced produce; ,beef,lamb plus a number of butchery products, fish,shellfish potatoes,vegetables,ice cream,chutneys,bread,eggs,cream,oatcakes,fudge,whisky,alongside the cheeseboard with FOUR local cheeses but,clearly not quite enough for you!
I would disappointed if our dedicated waiting staff did not give good service,usually when a customer attracts attention service is given promptly and a smile.
our full lunch menu is availble 7 days 12-2pm,dinner menu 7 days from 6pm. for other service times check with our reception team.

Travellers are raving about these Kirkwall hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for my last night in Kirkwall. I did arrive a bit early and the room was ready. Everything was nice from really staff, meals etc. The only thing that wasn't good is the shower as there was only a trickle of water. Did mention it in the morning though. I probably would stay here again as it in a good location, across from the ferries to the Islands and close to shops and the bus station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alexanderhogg60
Good Day,
Thank you,we are delighted you enjoyed our hotel,food,and the staff,we always try to accommodate an early check in whenever possible,apologies for the water pressure at the time of you stay we were experiencing some problems which are now rectified .we look forward to your next visit to The Kirkwall.
Hyde, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stopped for dinner here on the way to the ferry for Shetland. The staff were very accommodating. The service was second to none and the food was excellent. We visited again on the way back as the food had been so good the first time. We will call there again if we are ever over there. The restaurant is well managed and very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village

Been to Kirkwall Hotel? Share your experiences!