Priceline
Manchester, United Kingdom

Now a Guest House, not a Hotel

Review of West End Hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Jun 2022via mobile
Be careful when booking here based upon the reviews. This establishment has downgraded its offering from a full service hotel to a guest house offering B&B only.

The guest house is largely unstaffed. Check in is a key box on the wall, check out is a letter box to drop off your keys in. There's no dining room offering evening meals, and no bar.

My room was simple but adequate. There are tea and coffee facilities, and you can help yourself to top ups from a central store.

Breakfast comprises a limited hot menu, which is cooked to order, alongside a coffee machine, juices, cereals and toast. Service from the front of house breakfast team was good.

Location wise, it's a 10 minute easy stroll down the main shopping street to the harbour.

Price wise, £95 per night is high for what's on offer. Is it comparable with other similar establishments in Kirkwall? I don't know. But whilst the West End is fine, I've paid less for better places many times.
Date of stay: June 2022
0.3 miles from West End Hotel
The house itself
0.9 miles from West End Hotel
View more hotels in Kirkwall
All reviews dining room the main shopping street bus station cooked breakfast guest house orkney harbour
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 October 2021

A basic hotel with a poor first impression. The balcony at the front is in severe disrepair and the reception is shabby. The room was spacious. The staff are terrific, giving it everything they have to make out stay a good one. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2021

The PA booked this accommodation for our trip to Kirkwall. A lovely b&b close to the town with easy access to the airport; perfect. The same can’t be said for what happened that day. I’d been booked to arrive from Glasgow while for some reason the PA had decided to book from Edinburgh; initially no big deal as it just meant my bags would be going with the PA through Edinburgh. I’d been assured by the PA before I left for my flight that everything would be fine, however it soon went to pot; the PA ended up getting stranded in Edinburgh as his flight got cancelled. I started to panic as what am I supposed to do now when the PA has all my stuff, after a rather stressful call to the PA it was decided I would have to venture to the hotel by myself and check in; this is something the PA normally handles. I was shown to my room, which was nice enough but I had no idea what I was supposed to do without my PA and my bags. I positioned the red chair up against the door so I would be safe, as I couldn’t find a lock and then tried to get some sleep. Didn’t know how I was supposed to know when to wake up in the morning as normally the PA does it. My sleep did get disturbed as on several occasions in the night the tv turned on by its self which somewhat made me jump initially, but once I realised it was the soothing voice of Nigel Farage and GB News I was soon off again. Furthermore the hotel isn’t manned after 23.30, which only added to feeling of being unsafe.

Date of stay: October 2021
2  Thank tarquinm2021
Reviewed 29 June 2021

Very central location in the town centre and adjacent to the main street (Victoria street) leading up to St Magnus cathedral. Couldn't ask for a better location close to town but quiet in the evening to sleep.

Staff were so friendly and helpful (I didn't catch the name of the woman serving breakfast on Sunday morning but so was so friendly and helpful and even arranged for my bags to be watched after checkout so I didn't need to carry them around the town, instead I collected them from their sister hotel near the bus station later, which was a big help -Thanks so much!!!!

definitely value for money and I will return when I'm back in Kirkwall

Date of stay: June 2021
2  Thank Medicbhoy
Reviewed 21 June 2021

We spent 3 nights in this friendly hotel. Great location within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. The staff were all very friendly and helpful giving hints and tips for things to do. At the moment it is only bed and breakfast that is available- the breakfast was delicious, showcasing local produce. Only drawback would be it is not ideal for people with mobility problems as there are a lot of stairs.

Date of stay: June 2021
Reviewed 21 September 2020 via mobile

Lovely food and lovely people who worked at the hotel . The manager and the team all work really well together . It’s not the Ritz but everything you would want in terms of facilities and good grub . Local friends I am visiting in Orkney recommended it to me .

Date of stay: September 2020