Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Wed, 24 Apr
No prepayment needed
Priceline
Fully refundable before Wed, 24 Apr
Go to your Happy Price
Fully refundable before Thu, 25 Apr
Get rewarded with One Key
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 July 2023

I haven't joined this firm's tours but I have done several others and was appalled at the behaviour of a tour at Kirkwall Youth Hostel.
The tour group had to get up at 4am for an early ferry and despite requests the night before from hostel staff and even an intervention during the night there was an unacceptable level of disturbance for other hostel guests- slammed doors, loud laughter for at least an hour from 4am.
This is disgraceful and unprofessional and speaks volumes about the quality of the tour experience, which is not at all cheap.

Reviewed 6 July 2022 via mobile

Really lovely people staying there and working there, nice location and alright facilities for the price.
I got abit cold but could easily warm up by using the radiator so that was fine. I got there late and was still able to check in smoothly.
Good all around

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
Hostelling Scotland, General Manager at Kirkwall Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2022

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at our Kirkwall Youth Hostel. I hope the I look forward to welcoming you back very soon in the near future, Kind Regards Chris, Guest Relations

Reviewed 12 August 2019 via mobile

The hostel is 15 minutes walk uphill from Kirkwall travel centre and town centre and slightly closer to the three main supermarkets. Nearly every bus in Orkney passes through the travel centre, so the hostel is an ideal base for exploring.
The hostel is a conversion of a building from 1940's and is kept very clean.
It has a slightly barracksy feel but does represent good value for money.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2019

My husband and i were visiting Kirkwall and had difficulty in finding accomodation. We are great supporters of the YHA and were not dissappointed here. Very friendly staff. Clean rooms but could all do wiht a bit of an update. Near to the main sights in the town.

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed 7 May 2019 via mobile

The hostel was easy to find and check in was quick - the man on reception was lovely and very helpful during our stay. Room spacious and comfortable. We both had a great sleep. Bathroom/shower facilities basic but clean. The water wasn't the warmest but I assume this was because I showered late at night. Never used the common area/kitchen/facilities so cannot comment on them. Would stay again if I was in Orkney as it was good value for money and just what we needed.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
HostellingScot, Guest Relations Manager at Kirkwall Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2019

Hi there BindiiR

thanks so much for your detailed review, its appreciated when every our guests take the time to let us know about their stay. I'm very glad to hear it all went well and you enjoyed stunning Orkney. Sorry to hear the water was not as hot as you would have liked in the evening I will pass this feedback onto the site manager.

I hope the rest of your trip went well and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future

kind regards