“Excellent - Lovely Hotel with Great Staff”
Review of The Orkney Hotel

The Orkney Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We have just returned from a weekend at The Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall. We cannot recommend it enough. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed a wonderful meal at the restaurant - with the BEST starter (Ducks Eggs) I have had anywhere, had to fight our two year old off my plate she would have eaten it all! The restaurant staff were really friendly - especially the young lady from Polland who was a delight. Breakfast was scrummie - loads of choice. Just a great place to stay - we will be back. Thank you.
Enjoy the numerous pictures on the walls of the hotel - an interesting mixture!

Room Tip: Just pick up the phone and book!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Foxboro39

Reviewed 15 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip. The front of the hotel isn't particularly impressive (not that this affects a stay in the hotel, but may put some people off) and inside the decor is of an old style traditonal nature - dark wood and furnishings.

My room was fine - the darkish decor was not really to my taste, but the room was of a reasonable size and the bed was comfortable. Bathroom ok, but the shower cubicle a little small.

I didn't have dinner in the restaurant so can't comment.

I wanted to check in early and the staff were helpful and arranged this. I also needed to
check out early - before breakfast - and the receptionist offered to have a tray made up and left outside my room.

Overall, this hotel was fine for a short stay and I'd happily stay there again if I found myself back in Kirkwall.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Recently stayed at the hotel for a wedding weekend. The hotel was a short walk from the cathedral which was very convenient. My husband was impressed that his email inquiry was quickly replied to. Reception on arrival was very friendly and courteous. We had a good sized and very clean double room. The room had a large flat screen tv and the ensuite bathroom was spacious and well lit. Breakfast was excellent and was served in a dining room with a lovely view of the garden.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I had the best time at this hotel while traveling with a friend. The staff went above and beyond my expectations. Everyone was very friendly and made you feel welcome whether it was someone at the front desk or just a worker you saw in the hall. The hotel has undergone some renovations that turned out wonderfully. The room was quite large with a great tv and of course a tea maker. The bathroom had one of those heated towel racks that always makes my shower! And you have to try out the food! I loved everything I had there. The hotel is located in the center of town which makes it easy to get around. The staff will be sure to tell you where you can go to get anything you need including a good pub to visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alvig
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Stayed at the hotel with my wife and 4 others.

Hotel from outside doesn't look much, but when in doorway very surprising of the size.

We booked a suite, which had a 4 poster bed, and jacuzzi bath. The room was spacious, only thing we found is shower pressure was a bit low and could have been bettter.

Located a few mins walk from main part of town, suited us for our needs

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I found the staff to be very friendly and the service very good. The food quality was excellent and was always delivered with a smile. The room was very spacious and clean. The hotel's central location also made getting around easy and unlike other places I have stayed in Kirkwall I was able to park at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank millered
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Booked a holiday to the Orkneys as a late winter break with another mature couple, selected this hotel because of its position on a old street close to the Cathedral. Outside photographs showed an old building but once inside the hotel had been modernised. Booked in after hiring car in Stromness, an excellent welcome and shown to our choice of rooms which were fully onsuite. Need a little more up to date television but freeview available for channels. Had the dining room to ourselves for the evening meal but the louge was made welcome with a real fire. The waitress who looked after us (Kelly) went out of her way to ensure we enjoyed dining there. The food was wholesome and gave us a good choice over the four days. Breakfast was substantial, however the cook needs to hone his skills on the porridge which was a dissapointment. There were local bottled beers available which were very good. Enjoyed the four days even with the variable weather over the period. Woud recommend the hotel as it is away from the port area which apeared a little noisy on the weekend nights

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall
Merkister Hotel
Merkister Hotel
#1 of 1 in Harray

Been to The Orkney Hotel? Share your experiences!