“Comfortable and handy hotel”
Review of Albert Hotel

Albert Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
Reviewed 6 August 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Albert Hotel for 5 nights during a recent holiday in Kirkwall and was most impressed with our accomodation.
We requested and were given a quiet room (Room 201) after reading some of the previous comments about these premises on Tripadvisor. The room was excellent - modern, clean decor with not one but two flat screen TVs in the room, a large spotless, comfortable bed and large bath/shower room.
The hotel is well situated only a minutes walk from the harbourfront and the main shopping street/restaurants.
The staff are pleasant and helpful, the breakfast is fresh and extensive and the adjacent hotel lounge is well worth a visit if you are too tired at the days end to trek any further for evening meals.
I do not totally disagree with previous comments regarding noise - I heard nothing from the nearby Bothy Bar (even when they had the fiddle band playing on a Sunday evening) but you can hear next room showers/water running in the morning. We may have been lucky with our room situation, but i have heard the same thing in most hotels that I have stayed in and certainly would not allow this minor inconvenience discourage use of this hotel.
The hotel is not cheap but for a handy, comfortable, contemporary base from which to explore Orkney, I could not really fault it.
If ever I can visit these fascinating islands again, I would have no hesitation in staying at the Albert.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lostalot

Reviewed 13 July 2008

I do not wish to be overly critical about the Albert Hotel. The management has clearly gone to a great deal of effort refurbishing this property but unfortunately there are some fundamental problems with this hotel that make it very difficult to recommend to others.

At first glance my room appeared nicely refurbished, boutique cues clearly drawn from Ian Shregar's properties: the bed and linen excellent and most comfortable. However, the room I was allocated (101) suffered from an unpleasant moth ball odour and surprisingly, the window was inoperable. The staff happily (although body language suggested otherwise) moved me to 103.

This room also appeared pleasant enough, on initial inspection. One functional issue with the bathroom. The wash hand basin is fixed ridiculously low that only an infant could use it comfortably. However, niggles aside, the noise pollution from the street became a major distraction. To echo, buttercup1974's experience below, you need to be a seriously heavy sleeper to enjoy a stay at this hotel. Had I not arrived equipped with ear plugs, I would have 'walked'.

Breakfast which closes at 9am sharp (10am weekends) is for early birds, or for those who somehow manage to sleep undisturbed.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Prosperp
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I spent one night in the Albert Hotel during a business trip to Orkney. The staff were pleasant and the room clean and newly refurbished - with a comfortable bed, cotton sheets and a flat screen tv. However, the hotel was unbearably noisy. The bothy bar below my room was incredibly loud, making rest and sleep virtually impossible. That coupled with hotel staff slamming doors in the staff annex next to my room - so hard it made my door shake - I was kept awake until about 2am. Not good.

The food in the restaurant is ok, not great for vegetarians and appalling for vegans, but is highly recommended by my carnivorous friends and colleagues.

I'm not sure I'd stay there again, but then I'm a relatively light sleeper, so it may suit someone less sensitive to noise.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank buttercup1974
Reviewed 27 May 2007

Just came back from a 3 night stay at the Albert Hotel. We actually booked the West End Hotel (for my husbands 50th in December 2006) but when we arrived they had no record of the booking (despite a confirmation note from the manager who has apparently since left). Was recommended the Albert by the west end as their 'sister' hotel. I must admit i was a bit apprehensive as the first impressions of the West End were not good - and when we drove to the Albert there was scaffolding all around it!! (not a good start). Having made enquiries at two hotels close by who were both full we had no choice but to go to the Albert. However I was very surprised and even delighted at what we found. The reception staff very very helpful. Our room newly re furbished and very clean and modern - had a double bed, flat screen TV and modern clean bathroom with bath and shower. The breakfast was very good - full choice usual cereals, yoghurts, fruits, cheese etc as starters with a full english or kippers etc - lots of toast and tea too. I would recommend the Albert Hotel- don't be put off by the scaffolding they have cleverly split the hotel off from the on going building work and the finished part is to a good standard. A good hotel in a superb part of the UK give it a go!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia99
Reviewed 21 September 2006

Arrived at 9.05pm after 12 hour journey to be told the restaurant shuts at 9pm but there was a chinese restaurant around the corner!! Staff have strange take it or leave it attitude and do not appear to be happy at there work? Gave up after 2 nights and moved to another hotel in Kirkwall.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled with family
8  Thank senator2102
Reviewed 8 August 2006

Did not stay here but visited for a meal which was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband and myself.Bar area was really nice and staff friendly food tasty and well served.Would recommend if you are feeling hungry while in Kirkwall.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
lowestoft suffolk
Reviewed 17 March 2005

On arrival not shown to my room which was unfortunate as the toilet was unflushed from the last pee and liberally stained with --- (i.e. had not bee cleaned or inspected since the last occupant). The bed needed a new mattress. Breakfast, (though I have to admit that I needed an early breakfast) was missing elements on two occassions. Staff seemed generally indifferent to your welfare. This is an hotel that does not deserve to succeed.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled on business
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
Kirkwall Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall
Merkister Hotel
Merkister Hotel
#1 of 1 in Harray

Been to Albert Hotel? Share your experiences!