“Best bed in Britain”

Karrawa Guest House
Ranked #2 of 26 Kirkwall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Very comfortable, clean and welcoming accommodation. Room well equipped, with an extremely comfortable bed. Breakfast excellent and personalised to our individual requirements from an extensive menu. Proprietors very friendly and helpful. Overall - excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Karrawa Guest H... A, Owner at Karrawa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for such a lovely honest review. It is very much appreciated, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the bed so comfortable. It was good to meet you both and hope you had a nice birthday here in Orkney. Best Wishes, Aileen & Albert

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was dropped off here on a bus tour and while I had some initial trepedation about being a bit far from the town center I was quickly put at ease by Albert's friendly disposition. I was surprised right off to be given a menu choice for the next day's breakfast. The room itself was a double, two twins locked together actually, and it was utterly spacious, the bathroom alone was as big as some rooms I have stayed at in the UK! The bed was firm but not hard, it gave great support while still feeling cosey. The bathroom would work well for someone who had mobility problems as it had an open shower and safety handles.
One advantage of being a bit removed from Kirkwell was that the place was utterly quiet - I had the best rest of my 2.5 weeks on the road at Karrawa. It was a bit of a hike into town, about 20 minutes rather than the oft stated 10; I would say this place is better suited for persons who have vehicle access rather than being on foot, but it will only cost less than 4 to take a taxi which come within a few minutes and are easily picked up at the wharf for the return trip.
As others have noted the hot breakfast was excellent.
Albert was very attentive and was concerned that I was happy with the stay. This place is run by a local couple and they obviously have a lot of pride and local knowledge about the Orkney's. The shared bookroom was very comfy and there was a small but well selected library available with some good reading on Scottish and Orkney culture.
Overall this was an excellent B&B and I would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Kirkwell and especially if you have a vehicle because then the access is truely great and a bonus is that there is lots of parking space.
Highland Park is also just a few blocks away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you had such a restful sleep! Best Wishes, Aileen & Albert

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was here in June 2014, and back now in April 2014. After my first visit I wrote: "We found Karrawa Guest House on the net, and we corresponded quite a lot before we arrived in late June. Very helpful and informative beforehand, and also during our stay. Situated 10 min walk from the center of Kirkwall, close to the Highland Park Destillery, and with great view to the Scapa Flow, the Karrawa Gust House is an ideal place for staying on the Orkneys. Great Scottish breakfast, good rooms, and really great hosts. We'll be back!". After my second visit I have the same impression: A great guest house! Both times, in 2012 and now in April 2014, my group has been 4 couples. Except for my wife and I, there has been new people. Everybody had the same positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ragnar J
Karrawa Guest H... A, Owner at Karrawa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for another great review. It was lovely to have you all stay with us and we are so pleased that you had an enjoyable time. It is good to know that all of our hard work is worth while and appreciated. We hope to see you again in the future. Best Wishes, Aileen & Albert

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I took a trip with my wife to Kirkwall at the end of March 2014. Having stayed in Orkney a couple of times before we decided that we wanted a change from a conventional hotel stop-over and would look at booking a guest house on this occasion. Well, i'm pleased to report that the Karrawa Guest House did not disappoint! From the moment we arrived on the Thursday afternoon to leaving on the Sunday morning we were made to feel so welcome and whatever we wanted or needed would never be too much to ask. This is something rarely found in Hotels I think. Albert showed us to our room [3] which faced out to the front of the house with views down to Kirkwall town centre. The room was bright, spotlessly clean and nicely furnished - and although we were only two the room is clearly available for a family of four with one double and two single beds. The en suite shower [no bath] was plenty big enough [I highlight this as a plus as I'm 6' 3" and 17st] and I find that, particularly shower cubicles, can so often be tight for space. We were also shown a residents lounge, which was again well furnished and had a large screen TV if you didn't want to watch the one in your room. Breakfast was served in the breakfast room, and was hot, freshly cooked, plentiful and top ups of tea/coffee/toast were offered. All in all we couldn't recommend Karrawa more. The value for money we received was far greater than many hotels of 3/4* we've stayed in before. It will certainly be our first choice of where to stay the next time we find ourselves in Kirkwall.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are glad that you found our family room spacious, spotlessly clean & well furnished. We strive to offer a varied freshly cooked breakfast and are delighted that you enjoyed it each morning. We hope to welcome you both back again in the future. Best Wishes, Aileen & Albert

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for a short break in Orkney in march. The guest house is conveniently located 10 minutes walk from Kirkwall centre and is only a short car journey from the airport (5 minutes). There was a designated parking space which was handy for our rental car as we flew over. The room was excellent being a good size with ample storage and a handy wet room which was useful for wet clothing etc. The room was spotless and had good entertainment facilities including; a TV, DVD player and ipod dock. The WiFi was very fast and we had no trouble streaming video. As mentioned above the breakfast was superb with a large selection including continental and full cooked breakfast. The hosts were very accommodating and friendly - in particular they made a very kind gesture of a bottle of champagne following our successful job interviews on the island. Would thoroughly recommend this guest house to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you're fantastic review Chloe! We are delighted that you had such a nice stay. We recently upgraded our Wifi to allow for a better signal strength throughout the guest house and faster download speed so we are pleased that this is working well. Our car park has been extended by 5 spaces this week also to allow for larger cars/ vans to comfortably park and turn with ease. We wish you all the best in your new jobs and hope you settle into Orkney well.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The guest house is located on the airport road around a 10 minute walk from the centre of Kirkwall. My room was a comfortable double and en-suite. It had a small TV and a tray with tea/coffee/kettle/biscuits.

Although I was mostly out, I did meet both the owners and they were both very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was amazing too. Excellent value, would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Karrawa Guest H... A, Owner at Karrawa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for you're lovely review. It makes all the hard work worth while, to know that our guests are happy. We are glad you found the room comfortable and that you thoroughly enjoyed you're freshly cooked breakfast! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Best Wishes, Albert & Aileen

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed here for a few nights on business in February 2014. I cannot fault the place, it's one of the best places I've stayed in. Warm and friendly, clean and comfortable. Great night's sleep too. It's clear there is a lot of effort being put in to make sure it's one of the better places to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a brilliant review. We are delighted that you had a comfortable stay and had a great nights sleep. We really enjoy running the guest house and appreciate your feedback. Best Wishes, Albert & Aileen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
St. Ola Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village

Been to Karrawa Guest House? Share your experiences!