“best cafe on the street”

Trenabies Cafe Bistro
Ranked #16 of 38 Restaurants in Kirkwall
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 29 May 2014

lovely cafe, brill food. fantastic service and the coffee is starbucks. tea is whittards which is my personal favourite. pity its so small thou as the atmosphere is so good

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Amazing coffee and the food is good. The service is fast and most of the staff are friendly, only down side is the owner, she is quite grumpy and makes you feel like she is doing you the favour of taking your order

1  Thank Voodoo1981
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We randomly came upon this café/bistro when looking for somewhere to have lunch along the main shopping street in Kirkwall (it’s not far from the Cathedral). The frontage is small however the property stretches back so probably seats about 40 people. The upstairs section was closed during our visit with the exception of the toilet for which you have to request a key from staff at the counter. Seating is a mix of standard tables, booth style seats with bench tables and low-level settee with coffee table. The décor is eclectic, the atmosphere relaxed and during our visit there seemed to be a number of locals popping in - some just for a take-away.

The menu includes a decent selection of snacks and it’s licensed to sell alcohol (provided the licensee is present according to the notice).

We both had their homemade lentil soup - not usually a favourite type of soup for me, but this was exceptionally good! Served with fresh soft brown or white bread & butter. To follow my wife had a baked potato and I had the Pizza, both garnished with a little fresh salad and some tasty crisps (possibly beetroot). The pizza topping was on French bread to my surprise and was a little heavy on the tomato sauce for my taste but ok - my wife enjoyed the baked potato. We had a glass of wine to accompany the food (mini bottles).

Service was very pleasant and fairly quick - we had parked near the cathedral and were limited time wise and only went over this due to our own wandering earlier. In terms of price our lunch was very reasonable and we could easily recommend this place for a snack.

1  Thank Rantin rover
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Food was lovely, cooked fresh to order and was very tasty. I has the Cajun chicken wrap which was Devine with homemade crisps and homemade humous which was the best I had ever tasted. My partner had the broccoli and Brie soup which was lovely followed by homemade burger which was very tasty and highly recommended. Makes a change to get fresh home cooked food something that most restaurants sadly lack these days. Will be back and highly recommend.

1  Thank JillAdventures
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A bonnie wee cafe which sits in the middle of Kirwall's main street. It does everything from breakfast to buns, wraps and french bread pizza's (himself's favourite) to local steak on ciabatta (daughters favourite). They also don't mind if you want your beans on your breakfast in a wee bowl, so it doesn't touch (contaminate) your eggs with bean juice, which is very important in my life (and they serve veggie and normal carnivore brekkies).

Used coffee grains, (not starbucks) just an illustration of the bags you can get full of useful grains for the garden
The coffee is ace and they also let you have bags of used coffee grains for the garden. And whilst this ISN'T a chain - the coffee is utterly fab and yes they do 'to go' although why you can't sit for a while is beyond me. And, they DON'T do internet, nor do you get much of a phone signal - bliss for ten minutes or an hour 'off grid'.

So if you want a cuppa with superhelpful staff who give you peace but are there is you need them. Pop in. Ironically there are three cafe's in a stride in that area of Kirkwall - all good, take your pick. But this ones a real treat for a cosy, quiet natter either in a booth or on a squashy sofa up the back.

More here at this wee lass eats.

1  Thank Fayjmck