“good resteruant very good evening”
Review of Lynnfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
Lynnfield Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Kirkwall
aberdeenshire
“good resteruant very good evening”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Arrived on Monday night asked for a table for 4 pretty quiet no prob very comfortable lounge for pree dinner drinks and canopies The sea food and the steaks were exhalent the wine could be more reasonably priced. The view with the sunset over Highland Park distillery are to die for if your there of an evening you must take a camera

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stewartdick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We were visiting the Orkneys at what we hoped would be a quiet time, but instead found almost all accommodation fully booked. We had hesitated to try the Lynnfield because of some negative reviews but in the end were grateful that they could at least offer us one night.

When we arrived, we were so impressed. The staff was welcoming and friendly, the room very comfortable and impeccably clean, and the food, both dinner and breakfast, were excellent.

We thought that some negative reviews might have come from people who were expecting something a bit different. It is very quiet and rather old fashioned - I would describe it as loaded with atmosphere, but if you were looking for something with a disco or similar entertainment, stay well away and leave it for those old fogeys like us who appreciate peace, comfort and quiet elegance!

• Stayed September 2013
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked into restaurant for 18:30 Sunday 8th September. There was no one in the bar or at the reception. My wife had to go search for a member of staff. We were told to sit in the lounge and we would be brought a menu. A couple came in after us and were brought menus and had drink orders taken whilst we were just ignored. I had to go back to the bar to get menus. After ordering we waited half an hour and were then shown into the dining area. When the meal came the mutton was cold. No one came to ask if the meal was ok. After we were finished ( meat was still on the plate) The staff member came to take plates. Again no enquiry about the meal. I told her it was cold.She simply said sorry, this is advertised as the signature dish of this establishment. It seemed over priced for the meal and the lack of concern or customer service. I would not return

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ian C
Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Lynnfield was a lovely hotel with large, comfortable, well-appointed rooms; an excellent restaurant and lounge area; and extremely nice grounds. It's not right in the center of Kirkwall, so a car is probably a good idea for getting in to town -- although you could walk, but the walk might be rather long for some people. The hotel is right by the Highland Park distillery, so that's easy to visit. Kirkwall is a lovely spot to stay in while visiting the Orkneys.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jan C
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel is clean but, despite recent refurbishment (bathrooms are large and new), it is old fashioned with tastless decor and mismatched furniture. I felt like I was in a nursing home. The restaurant was busy but very over priced for really what was average food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Craigadick
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I run a small luxury tour company and arrived at the Lynnfield with an American client on the evening of Tuesday 23 July having booked her in for two nights as part of a tour of Scotland. Upon arrival there was no one on reception. We waited around 5 minutes then we enquired to a surly looking man (we later ascertained that he was the proprietor) behind the adjoining bar if anyone was in attendance on Reception. His response was "that will be me I suppose" and he performed the check-in curtly and without a smile or a word of welcome. He then promptly lifted my client’s bag and without a word nor a smile proceeded upstairs to the room. Luckily we were perceptive enough to guess he was taking the bag to the room. There was a minimal of necessary dialogue at the room before he trotted off back to his position behind the bar. My client’s room was "nice". The food was "ok" except some pineapple which was "fizzy and off". The service was "unhelpful and very slow". All my clients words and she is woman not inclined to complain unless absolutely necessary. A request by her for the use of an iron and ironing board was responded to extremely rudely and unhelpfully. Check-out, conducted by the proprietors wife, was similarly rude and without any thanks or convivial comment. Thankfully this kind of service is very rare in Scotland now and during a weeks tour of Scotland using several hotels this was the only rudeness and bad service we encountered anywhere. It was disappointing for my client as the guest and embarrassing for me that I chose to book this hotel. Lesson learned, I will remove this hotel from my list of accommodation to use on Orkney during future tours and I will advise similar operators about my experience so they can decide for themselves. Word of mouth is a powerful and necessary tool in my line of work as are review sites such as this and social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Orkney is a wonderful destination and the people are warm and welcoming. I would therefore advise you to choose alternative accommodation to the Lynnfield so as not to spoil the overall experience for yourself or your clients. I will in the future choose some of the excellent small hotels or bed and breakfast establishments on Orkney. Even if the Lynnfield was something really special the rudeness and bad service would be unacceptable. It is however nothing at all to shout about so spend your money wisely and go elsewhere. So incensed am I by this experience which marred an otherwise perfect week that I fully intend to make a formal complaint to the hotel and to Visit Scotland. People who are rude and unhelpful simply should not be working in a public service industry and certainly should not be running a hotel. The fact that these proprietors do not even take the time to respond to Tripadvisor reviews is indicative of how much they value feedback. My suggestion to the proprietors would be to undertake some training in basic Customer Care skills. A simple smile, a welcome and a little gratitude to the customer for giving you business would work wonders. You are after all service providers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
15 Thank GJCSCOTZIA
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Lynnfield Hotel is located between the airport and the centre of Kirkwall and has commanding views over the town. Our accomodation was luxurious - the puffin room - period furniture, supurb mattress, pillows and doona and bathroom products to match the quality of the room.
We ate dinner at the hotel several times and the quality of the experience was far superior to that which we found in the centre of town.
The wine list is to be recommended and we managed to try almost 25% of the list - a marvellous selection.
For whisky lovers you would be in your element!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the centre of Kirkwall - commanding vistas
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank astrida c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwall
The Ayre Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall
Albert Hotel
Albert Hotel
#7 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Lynnfield Hotel? Share your experiences!