“Better than a 5* hotel. Completely understated”

West Hall B&B and Cottage Self Catering
Reviewed 13 July 2010

My wife, 18 month old daughter and I stayed for 2 nights at Westhall in order to attend a freinds wedding which took place at St Ninians Isle followed by a reception in Lerwick. The location of the cottage is just stunning. Having entered Lerwick you turn right past the Tesco and suddenly get hit with the view. We stayed in the Sands of Sound room which had unrivaled 270 degree views of the beach and headland. Upon our arrival the owners were away however we were greeted by their friend Ruth who made us feel so welcome especially with our daughter who stayed in a lovely cot. With a large living room with real fire and a study to relax in we could put our daughter to bed and relax in utter luxury. When we arose for breakfast the next morning it was like being at home and absolutely nothing was too much trouble.The room was stunning with an extremely comfortable bed and lovely en suite (condiments were all local from the Shetland Soap Company.....well worth a visit on Commercial Street in Lerwick). My wife and I are blessed with being well travelled around Europe, America, The Far East and Australia and this was simply one of the best overnight experiences we have had and tears strips of chain hotels. It put other hotels on the Island to utter shame!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2010

We stayed in the new self contained cottage which was just so lovely. Very spacious and immacuately clean with views to die for. Modern and comtemporary with lovely furnishings and everything you could wish for and more in a self catering property. The owners are to be commended for the thought they have put into the property inside and out. Outstanding place (and we are very fussy) . The Hall is a lovely building and the space surrounding the whole property is wonderful and the setting is outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidays0710
Reviewed 3 June 2010

A great B&B, lovely rooms, friendly service, excellent breakfast and beautiful views - I couldn't have asked for a better stay! I travel around Scotland a lot for work and this is defintely one of the best, if not the best, B&B or hotel I have stayed in. I have stayed in Lerwick hotels which were much more expensive and nowhere near as nice as Westhall. I'd definitely recommend Westhall and I hope to be back soon.

The pictures don't do the place justice, there were seals hauled out on the rocks at the end of the driveway - lovely. It's not in the centre of town which makes it lovely and quiet but you'd probably need a car or taxi to get in and out or be happy with a bit of a walk.

Hopefuly I'll be able to stay longer next time!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We had chosen this place for our last night at the Shetlands. We enjoyed a very warm welcome from Douglas and Kathleen in their wonderfully decorated and reconstructed house. On our next trip to the Shetlands, we'll spend here more than one night.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Following a number of visits to the various "hotels" advertised in Lerwick I had given up hope of finding a clean, hospitable and above average place to stay, that was until I happened across Westhall B&B.

As a business traveller I normally tend to stay at Hotels but after many bad experiences of the overpriced and bad service at the Lerwick Hotels I decided to try my hand at the B&B's and I must say I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Westhall is a little further out of the main town but to be honest you need a car to get around anyway so if you can handle having to drive the 8 minute drive to town it is well worth the stay.

The location is truly stunning and I spent the evening overlooking a moonlit bay and breakfast overlooking a gorgeous harbour, it is far beyond anything I had come to expect from Lerwick.

I spend 4 nights a week in hotels across the UK and always look at those first, thankfully my experience and learning from Westhall at Lerwick has taught me that hotels don't necessarily mean better service - this B&B proves they don't. Oh, and by the way, they were 50% of the price of the hotels - and at least 150% of the service!

I see a reprise in B&B's for the business traveller - if nowhere else then certainly for Shetland!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Westhall is a fantastic building beautifully restored in a quite location.

The hosts (Doug and Kathleen) are perfect - friendly, helpful and with a touch of humour. Breakfast was exceptional and there are even Eat Natural bars in the rooms!

One of our best UK B&B experiences.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Westhall is a splendid Victorian house brilliantly situated just on the edge of Lerwick, with views of hills and water in all directions. Douglas and Kathleen are the ideal hosts - caring but not intrusive, happy to chat and equally happy to leave you in peace! Our room had everything we could wish for and was supremely comfortable. Breakfast is a treat, with fresh fruit, porridge, local fish, super scambled egg . . . You can also book an evening meal; again, local fresh produce simply but excellently presented. Undoubtedly the best in Lerwick!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple