“Good food, but a bit overpriced”

Hay's Dock Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 38 Restaurants in Lerwick
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the Shetland Museum and Archives, Hay's Dock Cafe Restaurant offers stunning views over Lerwick harbour and the best local produce, simply cooked and beautifully presented.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having enjoyed a dinner out here some time ago, I was looking forward to lunch here. The menu is limited but has a few good options, and the wine list is great. I went for a lamb and feta burger and, although tasty, the portion size was quite small and the whole thing rather overpriced. This restaurant has a lovely setting and good atmosphere but you definitely pay over the odds for what you get. Perhaps I should have gone for the seafood chowder as it did smell delicious...!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really do like this place and in all fairness ----the food is good. But, I must say the service is lacking here and I don't think it's great value for money. I'm just back from my vacation and stopped in Hay's twice during my trip. Once for late afternoon tea after visiting the museum and another time for lunch with my mother-in-law. Both times there were issues with the service----first time it took over 20 mins for staff to take our order and the 2nd time I was advised that reservations are recommended as they don't normally have tables for walk-ins during peak lunch hours. Really---you are a museum cafe that is highly dependent on tourist (off the cruise ships) coming through and you want me to make a reservation? Not a good policy for the average day tourist but maybe good for the locals? Our food was tasty but not cheap. But, the venue with views of Lerwick Harbor maybe well worth it.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We enjoyed an excellent evening meal here. Hubby had the Shetland lamb which was really tender and cooked to perfection. I had the luxury Hays Dock chowder which was brimming with smoked haddock, haddock monkfish, scallops and prawns. Absolutely delicious. Good selection of wines and beers and finished off with their home made ice creams. Service was efficient and friendly. We had a table overlooking the harbour which was a lovely setting and great watching the boats. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

First we had lunch in this brand new facility linked to the Shetland Archives and Museum. it was so good we returned the next evening for dinner which was excellent. Food was first class and reasonably priced. Staff wonderful and friendly and a lovely view overlooking harbour
Slightly outside of the centre of Lerwick but well worth the slight effort to get there

1  Thank Alan C
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Hays dock or better known as the museum is a lovely place to go for lunch. Usually required to book so you don't miss out.

They have lovely food which caters the fussiest of eaters. Also they use a lot of local produce in their food so perfect for visitors. Their chocolate torte is to die for.

However I found the staff to take a while to come order our drink. I also went one night and found the portions to be a little on the small side at night time. I had the duck and there was maybe a tablespoon of potato at that and I actually had to ask for more sauce. Hmm. I think they could take a look at the portion sizes of stuff because the food is so good I want more.