“Another great meal”

Hay's Dock Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 40 Restaurants in Lerwick
Cuisines: European, British, Soups, Scottish, Healthy
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the Shetland Museum and Archives, Hay's Dock Cafe Restaurant offers stunning views over Lerwick harbour and the best local produce, simply cooked and beautifully presented.
Hong Kong, China
“Another great meal”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have eaten at Hay's Dock many times over the years and have always found the food to be of high quality and the service friendly and efficient.

Our latest dinner was really good. I had the scallops with risotto, followed by monkfish wrapped in parma ham with black pudding and pig cheek. The unusual combination of the main course worked very well. For dessert we shared a chocolate brownie which we found to be a bit on the soft side.

Others at the table enjoyed the luxury seafood chowder and the chicken breast - both cooked to perfection.

The portions were generous and even the children's menu was of a high standard.

We will certainly return next time we are in Shetland.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank OlddogHK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Great cuisine, friendly staff, good view”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The two of us chose to celebrate our engagement here whilst in the Shetlands. The chicken dish I had and the vegetarian crumble were fantastic. The puddings were also delicious. Of the restaurants we visited in Lerwick, this is a must for an all round dining experience.

Visited July 2014
Eyemouth, United Kingdom
“last lunch in Lerwick”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

our last lunch in Lerwick before heading for Orkney, as always, lovely food, great service, great views of the harbour, a nice way to finish a trip to Shetland

• Visited June 2014
Penicuik, United Kingdom
“Good food, but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having enjoyed a dinner out here some time ago, I was looking forward to lunch here. The menu is limited but has a few good options, and the wine list is great. I went for a lamb and feta burger and, although tasty, the portion size was quite small and the whole thing rather overpriced. This restaurant has a lovely setting and good atmosphere but you definitely pay over the odds for what you get. Perhaps I should have gone for the seafood chowder as it did smell delicious...!

• Visited August 2014
Frederick, Maryland
“Great location and views---good food---not so great service!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really do like this place and in all fairness ----the food is good. But, I must say the service is lacking here and I don't think it's great value for money. I'm just back from my vacation and stopped in Hay's twice during my trip. Once for late afternoon tea after visiting the museum and another time for lunch with my mother-in-law. Both times there were issues with the service----first time it took over 20 mins for staff to take our order and the 2nd time I was advised that reservations are recommended as they don't normally have tables for walk-ins during peak lunch hours. Really---you are a museum cafe that is highly dependent on tourist (off the cruise ships) coming through and you want me to make a reservation? Not a good policy for the average day tourist but maybe good for the locals? Our food was tasty but not cheap. But, the venue with views of Lerwick Harbor maybe well worth it.

• Visited July 2014