“Won't be back”

The Bay Brasserie
Ranked #15 of 39 Restaurants in Lerwick
“Won't be back”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Very slow service when not busy, orders incorrect. Jug of water had dead fly in it. Filet minions with mushrooms had a single slice of mushroom in it. Surf and turf was missing the sauce and the steak was dry, overcooked and tasteless, the monkfish and scallops were likewise tasteless. The adult size of the kids ice cream was the same size and missing the toffee sauce and toffee crisp bits, the sticky toffee pudding was gingerbread cake with cold toffee sauce. Awful first experience and wont be back.

2 Thank John J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shetland
“Reasonable Price - Average Experience”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The place has been modernised since the last time that I was there and it is much better looking, but the ambience was a bit industrial with all the noise from the other tables. Yet again I got sat at the next table to the braying woman.

We placed our order after a glitch, the veggie meal asn't available, but they did offer two other choices available not on the menu. Oncethe order was placed we had two other waiters ask us for our order. The table is polished, the service less so. The staff are minimum waged immigrants though, so they do well considering English is obviously not their first language.

The tender loin was 50% only correct, in that it was loin; tender it wasn't. It would have benefitted from a steak knife, extremely overcooked. The sauce was good though. The plate also contained an oversized potato croquet, which has mash and bacon in it. May have also had cabbage in it. The portion of salmon was very generous.

It was a struggle to get a second serviette from the staff, as it was to get them to take an empty bottle away.

Dessert was served extremely artistically and included flavours that you wouldn't imagine would go together, and didn't.

I don't think that I will rush back. The restaurant of the sister hotel across town is much better.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank evrynameistaken
“Will not be returning”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The redecorating is the only thing that is going for this place, staff were too over attentive. Both waitresses would ask ud the same questions a minute after each other (obviously must not speak to each other) I ordered the steak and to say it was undercooked would be an understatement. The steak looked like it has just been taken off the cow. Was horrible, will not be returning EVER.

2 Thank 192jakes
Gulberwick, United Kingdom
“Bay Brasserie”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

A family meal for my wifes birthday. Lovely, contemporary feel to the restauranr. What a transformation! I had the only starter - the mini surf and turf. Very nice! A mixture of ballotine of chicken, steaks and venison for main course which were all very tasty. The highlight was my 14 year old son getting torn into the halibut. He thought it was delicious! To finish, we had a selection of desserts which all very nice.
All in all, a very nice evening, with attentive service and another place to go for a lovely evening out. One thing - fewer hasselback potatoes with the chicken and perhaps some nice vegetables. We'll be back!

Shetland Islands, United Kingdom
“Bay Brassiere - A Pleasant Change”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I loved the Bay Brassiere. I visited here with my partner, and my brother & his partner. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I’ve always liked the Lerwick hotel, this was my first visit to the newly refurbished restaurant. It has lovely views over the water, and is a lot more modern than anywhere else you'll visit in Shetland which I feel is definitely needed.

I was happy to see a menu change as, although the previous one was good, I was fed up of it after a few visits. There was a strange choice in starters - I still found something I was happy with. The choice in main courses was excellent - I found myself struggling to choose. When the meals came out I was not disappointed. They were very well presented, but more importantly, they were very tasty.

The service was good, though it could have been quicker, but that's a personal preference as I'm a fast eater.

The price was very reasonable as well.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place to eat in and will certainly be going back. Hopefully sooner rather than later.