“Probably the best Lerwick hotel”
Review of Kveldsro House

Kveldsro House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lerwick
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good location, 2 minutes walk to the centre of Lerwick and the harbour area. New bathrooms,great,just let the water run and run before it gets hot. Food is OK hotel stylie. Good fish and pudds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking thr Sound of Bressay
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank iTALOPHILEScotland

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Styaed here for just one night on a brief visit to the Shetland Islands last month.
There doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice of hotel accomodation in Lerwick and I think most of the hotels that there are are in fact owned by the same company...

But having said that we found this hotel perfectly satisfactory, if not a little pricey (and no discounts are to be found anywhere - too small to appear on any of the booking engines I suspect)
The room was of a good size and special mention should be made of the bathroom which looked as if it had been recently upgraded.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly, and they'd even remembered it was my birthday (which I'd told them when booking) which was a nice touch.

The breakfast wasn't the hotel's strongest strength, but then I don't think Shetland is noted for it's cuisine!

The location is also excellent being only a 5 minute walk from the heart of the town. (Ask reception to point you in the right direction as there is a little shortcut out of the car park)

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms facing the sea
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Been here a few times for meals, normally we have been very happy however on our last visit was terrible.
fish and chips .............with no veg or salad ????
Sausage and chips for the kiddies....Sausage was obviously left over from breakfast and zapped in the microwave, poor lass couldnt bite through it! !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Peerieme
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at the Kveldsro for one night whilst in Shetland on business.

At the time of booking the only option I had was for a single room due to availability, at £105 per night inclusive of breakfast. Whilst the room was small, it was adequate. The surprise was that the bathroom off the room was incredibly modern and also extremely well fitted with a air of quality about it that a lot of higher ranked hotels in the UK would do well to match.

WiFi connectivity is provided free and worked very well indeed - it was much faster than I experience in most other UK hotels.

I found the single bed a little confined but I'm not a small guy and I can't fault it on the basis I didn't have the option of booking a larger room (which I would have done).

The iPod dock at the bedside was a pleasant surprise as I'd forgotten by phone charger. The wall mounted (hinged) TV worked perfectly well with a selection of Freeview channels and in general, especially when considering the bathroom, I think I received a value for money overnight stay.

However, the staff deserve a mention - they were excellent. From Tomas (Thomas?) to the young lady that attended to breakfast (full Shetland breakfast which was excellent) they were very friendly, polite and quick to offer assistance with any queries you had. They are to be applauded as in hotels of this size I have sometimes found staff to be lacking, but that's not the case at the Kveldsro.

I had a hire car for my trip and there is ample parking at the hotel (which is reasonably well signposted from various points in Lerwick).

The bar and all other public areas are well kept and these areas are surprisingly spacious. I was told there was a wedding party in during my stay - but I hadn't realised. I also have to mention that the hotel offer a public Lounge area on the floor on which I stayed (not on ground level). This is a nice touch that a lot of larger hotels would do well to take note of.

I ordered room service due to needing to work in my room (hence the reliability of WiFi being a bonus) and was amazed to find my food delivered within 10 minutes. I had a very nice Haddock and Chips, accompanied by mushy peas and followed by a cheese selection - all of which was very palatable and good value at below £20 for both courses including two bottles of Miller. There is a tray charge of around £3.50.

The plaque at the door of the hotel indicates it is a 3* Small Hotel under the ratings system of the Scottish Tourist Board - and to be perfectly honest I've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels that have failed to deliver the level of courtesy and service that the Kveldsro staff did.

If you bear in mind the fact you're on the Shetland Islands and not many people that come here want 5* hotels of very modern types then you'll be delighted with your stay. This hotel offers all that much larger hotels do, but with an air of Shetland ambience and friendliness about it that can so easily be lost as you get to higher rated hotels.

Well done. If I return I will not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel is situated in a quiet area of Lerwick but is still only a 5 minute walk away from the town centre.Stayed in a double room which came with a four poster bed , bathrooms have recently been upgraded and are large and modern.
The hotel is clean and the staff are warm ,friendly and accomodating .The menu has recently been updated and the food ,including a plentiful ,freshly cooked breakfast was very good .
The public areas including the bar are pleasant and airy .
Having stayed in most of the hotels in Lerwick I would say that this is definitely the pick of the bunch.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed here for business so didn't choose this hotel myself, however I will be requesting it is booked for future visits! Service by all staff was excellent, very friendly and accommodating. The bedroom was great too - spacious and a 4-poster bed. A very modern large bathroom with rainfall shower :)
The decor is a bit dated but only in a pastely kind of way.
We had dinner and breakfast there too and it was wonderful. Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 1 night, loved how it was in a very secluded area in the town, which was so peaceful and quiet, just what we wanted, would deffo stay again, staff lovely, lovely room, brilliant modern bathroom.
We wernt up in time for breakfast unfourtunatly. :(

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smiles313
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
The Lerwick Hotel
#1 of 1 in Busta
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hillswick

Been to Kveldsro House? Share your experiences!