“Location versus appearance” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lerwick
England
“Location versus appearance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel looked like nothing better than a prison but inside was a pleasant surprise.The rooms were very good for our 3 night stay but less so when we returned for one night before transferring to Orkney. The food was o.k. but the ambience was pub rather than restaurant. It was very busy on most of our nights. There was not much scope for relaxing after the evening meal although we were allowed into one of the function rooms for our coffee on a couple of occasions - when it wasn't being prepared for the next day. Parking was ample and it was withiin walking distance of Lerwick if so wished. The view over the sea was very good although the seal in the window of my room had gone so there was some misting between the panels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view as the view over the car park is less than exciting.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank birder35

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel was booked for us by our travel agent. The hotel is clearly trying to improve their property; the public rooms are very nice, most of the bathrooms have been remodeled and are extremely well done. Some of the carpet has been replaced and that is nice, however many of the rooms have very old, worn carpet. The breakfast meals were very good, the staff was friendly and tried to be helpful. They advertise internet access however it was not working well while we were there and the only spot I could access the internet was a certain corner of a corridor, sitting on the floor. There was never access in my room or in the hotel lobby or public areas. The most significant deterent to this hotel was the beds. The linens were clean but the mattresses were extremely old, lumpy and sagging. The staff relocated us to different rooms and the second bed was better only because there were extra boards under the mattress, it was still very lumpy and sagged some in the middle. Some of the pillows were barely ok, others were extremely old and stained; those I set aside and refused to use. The bed linens and towels were very clean, it was primarily the beds, mattresses and pillows that were way below an acceptable level.

In spite of the good things about this hotel I would not recommend this hotel until they have replaced mattresses and pillows. Be sure to check this before you book!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Pam V
, Director at The Lerwick Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
We recall your visit; after you complained about the mattresses we offered alternative rooms; upgrades; and these you said were fine. On then checking the rooms vacated, both management and house department; the mattresses were fine. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. Like all good hotels we replace pillows on a rolling program, so theyare never too old or flat. We do take all comments seriously, and check,
Wifi; we were one of the first to offer wifi throughout the hotel; however our equipment is therefore dated, and will be replaced with state of the art within the next month or so; the order is placed; we await the contractor to install; meantime, yours is the only current negative observation on current service; maybe a reflection on your laptop?

Travellers are raving about these Lerwick hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

First the good points - the en-suite in my room had obviously been refurbished very recently. The fixtures and tiles were good quality and looked smart. I would have preferred to see a shower screen instead of a shower curtain but that's a personal preference. The hotel boasts ample parking and the rear-facing rooms have great views.

Unfortunately the rest of the hotel was a letdown. My room (210) was a tiny single room with very dated furnishings, carpet and decor. The pillows were rock hard and the bedding comprised an ancient looking woollen blanket and bedspread.

The soundproofing in the hotel was non-existent. I could hear every footstep the occupant in the room above took, snoring from an adjoining room and a chorus of alarm clocks followed by doors opening and closing as fellow guests left to catch an early morning flight. I know the hotel can't be responsible for the noise level of their guests but I must stress that I don't think any of them were being excessively noisy - the problem was zero soundproofing in the bedroom wing.

The service at breakfast was poor with the only waitress on duty speaking very limited English. The staff I encountered were unfriendly and appeared completely demoralised.

Lastly, the 3G signal in Lerwick is unreliable so WI-FI is essential for anyone wishing to access e-mail or the Internet. The Lerwick hotel offers WI-FI access but charges £5 to use it whether a guest is there for 1 night or up to 5 nights. This really is something that all hotels should provide for free nowadays, especially where it's not a "nice to have".

All in all a poor and sleepless stay in a hotel that I would not recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank ShetlandGirl
Robertaberdeen, director at The Lerwick Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
The hotel was full on the night of your visit; we have 3 singles from 34 rooms and you had one of them; the room does have an ipod dock; a flat screen tv with multi channel choice; and wifi service throughout , public areas and bedrooms alike; and a new bathroom.
We do not have complaints about noise, your is the first, so unless we did have a particularly noisy residency level that night?
On wifi, we charge 5.00 flat rate for up to 5 day unlimited use, which is a relatively nominal sum to cover an excellent service throughout the property; in deciding on that level we felt we were pitching in at a lower level between the usual 15.00 for 24 hours; and of course the " for free" which it never is as its part of the overall room rate; the charge does have to be seen in the light of the overall room rate. We do however contstantly review this.
Your waitress on breakfast was still in training mode; maybe the reason for her tenseness/lack of smile/concentrating on getting it right.
Your comments, as always, are welcome, and will be filtered through to everyone.
Oban, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Had our dinner here one evening while on holiday. Staff were very nice & attentive the meal was very nice as well, dinging room was olde worlde while toilets were lovely only watch pressure in taps.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nanny073
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed here for one night on business. This was my second trip to the hotel (a review of my first trip can be found on here somewhere) so I was interested to see whether much had changed. Sadly not. I should point out that I travel with work extensively, spending 4-5 nights a week in hotels across the UK, so I feel as though I have some experience to draw on when writing this review. Firstly, and as I probably mentioned before, the location of the hotel is just slightly out of the centre of Lerwick, easily within walking distance but not so near to be troubled by any noise. The setting of the hotel is beautiful, with great views out across the bay and a family of seals playing on the rocks in front of the hotel. So, thats the good bits done. Now for the bad bits. Price. I mentioned this on my first review but will mention it again for the benefit of other travellers. I paid £98 for a single room B&B. I often pay around this mark for hotel rooms and have stayed in some truly lovely places. The Lerwick Hotel offers basic, dated accomodation, but having looked elsewhere on the island, this is par for the course. Food - didn't have an evening meal there, but breakfast was again, pretty poor. Dear Chef - we can tell when the bacon, sausages and mushrooms have been sat under the hotplate for ages because they are dry and tasteless. My egg was cooked fresh to order, and i would be happy to wait another 10 minutes for the rest of my breakfast. Another disappointment was the bar - unfortunately when we got back to the hotel (which admittedly was quite late) the night porter on duty advised us the bar was shut. I've not known a hotel bar shut to residents so early but this was the case here. Why not train the night porter so he can serve drinks? Overall, and yet again, distinctly average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tazaa
Robertaberdeen, Director at The Lerwick Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Firstly price; we have to charge what we charge in Shetland as it is an island community with significant and material carriage costs for everything; and also the same basic other costs but without the occupancy levels of city centre hotels; it is a fact of life. Secondly, all breakfasts are cooked to order. Thirdly bar; the lounge bar of the lerwick hotel is open until at least 11.00pm every evening ; if there are customers there at the time it will stay open for longer.Thereafter the night porter has access to a night porters bar for residents , giving 24 hour cover if desired; the only exception to this is where the resident, in the night porters opinion, has already consumed enough alcohol and to serve him further would be inappropriate.
All comments are welcome, but one does wonder if a refusal to serve alcohol on your late return to the hotel is a prime issue.
We hope you can join us again and this time enjoy dinner with us.
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I use this hotel when on business trips to Shetland.
The outside appearance could do with some T.L.C. but don't let that but you off.
It looks like it's going through a slow upgrade, fancy modern reception with dated rooms, the exception being the bathrooms which have been revamped.
Warning!
Be careful when you turn on the taps, a short dribble then an explosion of water, luckily I had a spare pair of jeans.
No such worries with the shower, mores the pity, a dribble of water which I had to run about under to get wet.
The staff on the whole are a friendly bunch, with a slight language issue, the food is good, the hotel is handy for the town.
I have no problems staying here next time I visit.
Just hope they fix the plumbing!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

This is my hotel of choice when travelling in and around the Shetland Islands. The rooms aren't especially spacious, but they are practical and very comfortable. Food is always of a high standard, the staff are friendly and very pleasant. The hotel has more than adequate parking.

Stayed April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
Kveldsro House
#1 of 1 in Tingwall
Self Catering Shetland
Self Catering Shetland
#1 of 6 in Lerwick

Been to The Lerwick Hotel? Share your experiences!