“Good. Really good”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lerwick
Umbertide, Italy
“Good. Really good”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I've found this hotel very nice and comfortable.
The hotel is very well furnished, and the staff is very nice.
Food is very great, at both dinner and breakfast.
WiFi in the room was quite slow, but fine for my needs.
Maybe it is quite expensive, but it remains a good place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We visited Lerwick in the Shetland Isles for the Viking festival of Up Helly Aa. So this review will have 2 parts. First the hotel itself followed by some advice on how to survive Up Helly Aa.

The hotel is relatively modern, comfortable and well run. It is situated just as one enters Lerwick so is easy to find, yet still close to all amenities in the town. The rooms are a tad small, ours had a four poster which made manoevering around when my wife was sorting her hair a bit tricky. The view from our window,over Breiwick Bay, was spectacular especially during stormy weather. Moreover there is something comforting about going to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks below. The food was excellent. However I have a thing about wasting food and I found the American portion sizes unnecessary forcing me to leave some on my plate. These criticisms are minor and I would certainly return to the Lerwick Hotel.

Up Helly Aa is well documented on other sites and is celebrated on the last Tuesday of January. What is less documented is that it lasts all day starting at 9am, there was also an excellent concert of Shetland music (Shetland has a rich, enviable history of music) in the Mareel Hall in the afternoon. There is a junior and senior event each complete with the boat being burned in the evening. Starting about 9pm the "halls" open. For a £25 ticket you are included in an all night ceilidh with free food. There is a twist though. There are about 30 "squads" composed entirely of men who visit each "hall" and put on a performance. These would put Britain's Got Talent to shame. Things finish about 9am on the Wednesday (not surpirsingly a public holiday in Shetland). The mistake we made was to book from Sunday to Wednesday - to get the most from Up Helly Aa don't book your flight out until the Thursday!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Inchconnachan
Rhoose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I have used the Lerwick Hotel on several occasions whilst on business at the Sullom Voe oil terminal. Lerwick is a convenient stop about half way from Sumburgh Airport to the oil terminal.

The hotel is modern and situated close to Lerwick Town with a nice view over Breiwick Bay and Bressay island. Lerwick Town itself is an interesting place to explore.

The quality of food is great although somewhat expensive. The Seafood Restaurant specializes in locally caught fish and is always fresh. To me, that justifies the somewhat high prices they charge.

For business people, there is WiFi available throughout the hotel and attracts a nominal fee. Meeting facilities, including photocopying and fax facilities, and dry cleaning services are also available with.

I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful at the Lerwick.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Robertaberdeen, director at The Lerwick Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Thank you for your positive comments; wifi is now provided free and as you say is available throughout the property.
Kirkwall, Orkney
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed in the Lerwick Hotel Jan 2013,found it comfortable and warm hotel to stay in.
Our room had in fact two rooms,one being the bedroom and the shower/toilet off it,with a smaller dayroom next door with tea/coffee facilities plus 2 armchairs/table.
Both rooms had a good sized window with nice view out to sea and the Bressay Lighthouse in the distance.
The bedroom had ample storage space,with freeview tv,and free wi-fi (up to 5 days).
The breakfast is included in the price of your room,and was excellent,as was the evening meal we had during a birthday party,this was delicious all the way,with a great selection of wines to accompany it.
You can easily walk to Tesco supermarket (a little over 5mins away),or in the other direction,only about 15 mins to Lerwick town centre.
The only downside for me personally,was the fact there was no tv in the bar,if you like to keep up with news and sport while enjoying a drink.
There are bus stops very near to the hotel,where you can board a bus to Sumburgh Airport,which takes approximately 45 mins .
All in all,a nice hotel to stay in.....

Room Tip: If the possibility of other guests moving around on upper floors,then best to opt not to have one of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Shetland
Reviewed 19 December 2012

12 of my work colleagues and I went for a meal in November to The Lerwick Hotel. We had arranged to have 'The Lighthouse Suite' which is a room off the main dining room & bar which they can have for functions. It was good to have the privacy of a separate room, and there was ample space for us.

The menu had a good variety however I am a terribly fussy person, they kindly gave me something 'off menu'.
The presentation of the food was good and the service attentive but not intrusive.

We stayed from 1pm - 6pm in the lighthouse suite which was very accommodating.

Based on our experience I would recommend the Lerwick Hotel for a lunch.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Pistoia
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I was here for business so the company was paying for the room but the prices are extortionate for the quality of the place.
The negative points: The mattresses are uncomfortable and saggy. The pillows are uncomfortable and saggy. The fire alarms woke me up 4 times in the night apparently due to an electrical fault in an empty room. The walls are very thin and I had to tolerate the snoring of my neighbors. From the outside and inside it looks like council estate buildings. If the BP had not been paying I would have demanded a refund. The drinks were very expensive £7:20 for a beer and a glass of wine. The service at the tables in the restaurant was not good - there was no water or glasses supplied - we were not asked if we wanted drinks and when I asked for water it was never supplied - eventually I got up myself and ordered from the bar.
The positive points: These were difficult to notice as the lack of sleep spoiled my judgement. However, the night porter was very pleasant despite my bad mood. The food in the restaurant was good and abundant portions. If you really have to spend a night in Lerwick, I hope you can find a better place than this.

Room Tip: Take your chances with another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank maffrew
Robertaberdeen, director at The Lerwick Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
My my we were in a bad mood the morning after the night before; We did have an issue with a faulty smoke alarm that night; we do have a state of the art, new, system, there for guests safety, but like all equipment it errs on the side of safety and when faulty goes off; we are sorry about that, and it was fixed first thing the next day; we are sorry your sleep was interrupted, but it was for the best of reasons.
Mattresses are replaced on a regular basis, and the guest qustionnaire in each room does offer the chance to tell us about any issues such as those; any comments on mattresses are immediately checked, and then replaced if appropriate. It would have been nice of you to let us know at the time.
The price of drinks is dictated very much by the wholeslae price we pay, and I note you havent said the size of the glass of wine, which will have been 250ml; with a pint of beer a very reasonable price in the current market; you dont mention the choice of 3 white and 3 red house wines by the glass which were offered to you.
I hope your flat screen tv with multi channel choice, ipod dock clock radio, free wifi throughout the property including your bedroom were all fine?

Travellers are raving about these Lerwick hotels

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We travelled to Shetland with another couple and stayed at the Lerwick Hotel. Our room had recently been upgraded and was very pleasant. The view from the room was fantastic. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The hotel was very clean. Our breakfasts were very enjoyable as were the evening meals. The food was to a good standard and service was prompt and efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
Glen Orchy Guest House
#1 of 1 in Busta
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hillswick

Been to The Lerwick Hotel? Share your experiences!