The Shetland Hotel
Free cancellation until 01/06
US$195
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$242/night.

Free cancellation until 02/06
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Scalloway Hotel(Scalloway)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsferry terminalbit datedfront facinggrab railswaterfront bar and grillbusiness triprooms are cleangood sizeplenty of parkingsumburgh airportbed was very comfortableco opexcellent restaurantpleasant stayfolk festivalvisiting shetlandmussels
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Just returned from a night night stay at the Shetland Hotel in Lerwick for a business trip.

My room was clean and very spacious comfy beds and was resonably priced. I had a room on the 5th floor over looking the ferry terminal. Plenty of car parking onsite which was handy. Staff were friendly and would have no problem staying here again when I return to Lerwick.

My only negative comment is the decor in the bedrooms is very dated and in much need of upgrade. Looks as if the bathrooms have been recently refitted and look very nice. As does the newly refurbished bar and grill.

1  Thank Fraser T
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hotel room is good with necessary facilities except fridge. The staffs are very pleasant and food is excellent. not 100% hygiene. the big issue is internet connection is very week in the rooms and other corridors but they are charging £5 extra. Once they provide free good internet wifi service, the hotel is excellent..

Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

We do pride ourselves in being amongst the first in the Uk with wifi throughout the property, including bedrooms. However its a fast moving technology, and we are, at the moment, upgrading to the very latest, so our guests will get the fastest and most efficient currently available in the UK. Hope to have this installed and working within a month; we are doing a test run on one bedroom wing next week. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I will start this review by saying the the staff of the Shetland hotel are fine. Some are great, some are a bit nervous and uncertain, but all of them are polite and helpful.

As for the hotel itself, I have to say I feel a bit sorry for the staff because they have to work with a place that has quite a few little faults that the staff can do little about. I will try to be fair!

First of all, the place is ugly. It is a pebble-dashed concrete box built in the early 1980s which has been built opposite the ferry terminal in the industrial zone of Lerwick. So aesthetic and location-wise, it's not great.

Inside the hotel, you can see that it is need of refurbishments. The doors and windows are in a poor state and the decor is very dated, other than in the recently-refurbished Waterfront Restaurant, but even in there the windows are grimy and let in draughts if you sit next to them.

The rooms are reasonably-sized and well-furnished. My bathroom looked fairly new and had a full-sized bath and good shower. My room was a little dark, being at the back. It had only a small window looking out onto a rocky embankment and the hotel access road.

My main gripe with the hotel is that it was often noisy. I should qualify this by saying that I am a light sleeper and easily woken, but I could hear the slightest movement from the guest next door, and the floorboards were very creaky all around. I was often woken by people coming in late or leaving early and I got a couple of good nights' sleeps in there during my 3-week stay, which isn't good when I had to drive 40 mintues each way and work a 10-hour day every day.

Back to the restaurant...I found this a real hit and miss place, to be honest. Some days the service was great and the food was good. Other days, it was slow and the food was mediocre. It can get busy, with lots of business people staying here and locals using the restaurants. I learned to get down early. The selection of malts behind the bar was impressive, though.

So, as an overall package, I'd say it's perfectly adequate in the short term and the staff are good. It isn't the best looking hotel in the world, and the location isn't wonderful.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, try and get a room at the far end/top of the hotel where your chances of disturbance are minimal.
2  Thank CosmicHerb
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Not sure about the noise aspect, you must indeed be a very light sleeper; as the walls between the bedrooms are solid 1 foot thick, and whn i stand in one room i amd hard pressed to hear anything at all from another; indeed i cant. So cant agree on that point Im afraid. Glad you noticed a new bathroom...they are all new. Also have of course flat screen tvs with multi channel choice an all rooms large and spacious. Thanks for taking th time to comment.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I have not stayed here before but I have dined in there new (bar and grill restaurant) a few times now. It's good value for money . Stunning inside. Very classy. The food is amazing! :) thumbs up from me

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. We will try to keep it as is, as it clearly has been a hit. We were a bit slow to start, as we were inundated and therefore a bit understaffed in that department, but now up to speed.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights on a work trip in May 2012.

People have to realise that the standard of hotels in Shetland is not that great. This is because they have a bit of a captive market with the oil industry, which does not, I'm told, require a particularly high standard. The toursim industry is still developing. Prices are very high because of the distance from the mainland, so investment can take time. So, you have to assess hotels in that context.

All that said, this place was reasonable for the money. Yes, it's a seventies style building in an industrial feeling area just opposite the ferry terminal, but my room at least was fine. Actually, it was a full suite that had been refurbised and while it was maybe a bit dated in style, it was perfectly acceptable and clean.

The staff were helpful though the waiting in the Watefront restaurant could have been a bit better trained. They made a real meal (no pun intended) of serving dinner to our party of only six people, serving up main courses without having remembered to take away the starter plates, leading to some chaos. Breakfasts were better organised and the choice was good.

Overall, not brillian, but perfectly acceptable in the context of Shetland.

Room Tip: Stick to the back for quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business