“Comfortable rooms.”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Lerwick
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Comfortable rooms.”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Very large comfortable rooms with large flat screen tv.
A lot of refurbishment has been carried out since my last visit. Staff and service excellent.
Directly opposite the ferry terminal and 15 mins walk from town centre. Plenty of parking but carry on to the top to be near reception.
Pity the double glazing in the dining room is faulty otherwise 10/10 would be the score.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Preston_traveler
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed in the shetland hotel last night and was pleasently supprised, its a couple of years since i last stayed here and I must say that the restaurant and service is now top class, I had a great pulled pork starter, a superbly cooked rib eye steak and a huge ice cream cookie desert. Im quite a foodie and found that great effort had been made in both the food and presentation, both layout to taste superb. The steaks pepper sause was the best i have had! The Chef should be commended and the staff's service was brilliant!

Thanks!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor, The rooms are a bit dated, but were large, clean and cool (just fine for me)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I checked in room 101 on 09/04 for. 3 nights. During my stay I found this hotel awful. Only plus is the food at the Waterfront restaurant which was brilliant. The window was covered in mould and I have posted a picture of that. There was no bath mat provided in the bathroom. On the second day my laptop charger was missing! I went up to the reception and enquired about this and eventually got it back from the housekeeping.

While checking out I noticed that I was over charged for using the bar and the receptionist had to knock some drinks out from the bill as those were charged from the duplicate bill for the same item. So when you check out, I highly recommend to tally the bills from the bar.

My worst experience so far! Terrible!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Allen G

Travellers are raving about these Lerwick hotels

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a party of six without booking and were made very welcome and seated with a drink whilst we waited for a table. Once seated the food arrived and it was beautifully presented and plenty of it. We had a pudding and that was to the same standard. A lovely meal and superb service - we'll be back !

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Peter K
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Only stayed one night. Outside is a bit grim, and reception is on the 4th floor which is ok if you arrive by car but a bit of a pain if you come by coach or on foot off the ferry. Our room was large and the bathroom was very clean-however, the window was broken and it was blowing a gale. We were offered the 'emergency' room but as it was a twin we chose to turn it down. When we returned from Up Helly Aa the window had been taped up which we accepted and hopefully has been fixed now (room 509). The next surprise was on pulling back the counterpane on the bed there was a very large red stain, on closer inspection we decided it was red wine and nothing more sinister but not very pleasant. The evening buffet was tasty and breakfast was delicious (my husband loved the kippers). A nice central hotel but they really need to sort out their housekeeping.

Room Tip: If you get 509 check the window isnt still taped up and that the bed cover has been cleaned or repla...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HappyAmblers
Robertaberdeen, director at The Shetland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment; this was on Tuesday 28th January, the busiest day of the year in Lerwick, ie up helly aa day, and for those who don't know a Viking festival famous the world over. The handle on the window was there the day before; as soon as drawn to our attention, we did put tape around the edges to ensure no draughts ( the weather was atrocious); and the following morning the handle was replaced and the tape removed; despite Wednesday being a public holiday in Lerwick.. As you have also indicated we did offer another room but you declined.
It is a pity when something breaks, but it does, and we hope that our swift attention to the issue dealt with it, albeit on a temporary basis, overnight.
I trust also you were able to enjoy up helly aa, despite the awful weather we have had in Shetland over the whole week.
lerwick
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Five of us went to the Waterfront Restaurant at the Shetland Hotel. Their Christmas Menu was very attractive with a good choice for all tastes. We were greeted by friendly Staff and were given a Martini as an aperitif which was very nice with frosted sugar on the glass rims, the Starter was a mixed platter of Mexican and Chinese nibbles. The turkey choice was generous and nicely presented. I recommend the Moscow Mule Cheesecake!! All finished off with coffee and mincemeat pies which was lovely, but couldn't finish. Very good value for money. The service was good especially as they had a nearly full restaurant plus a large function upstairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a Room with a Harbour view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tammienorie27
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My partner and I go to the Shetland hotel on a regular basis with our baby daughter. The staff are very attentive and friendly and always give us the booth as we have the car seat for our daughter. The food there is fantastic, never once have I not enjoyed dining. The jerky chicken salad (ask for it warm) its to die for. Downstairs from the restaurant is a public bar it's extremely clean, spacious and has sky sports. When I go out the Shetland hotel is always my first port of call. Keep up the good work. See you soon.

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
The Lerwick Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scalloway
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hillswick

Been to The Shetland Hotel? Share your experiences!