“Avoid”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Lerwick
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Damp smell throughout hotel. Mould on walls of comunal areas. Dated and cramped rooms with poor cleanliness (mould in bathroom). £35/night would be more appropriate than the rip off £92/night. Owners should be ashamed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Peter190781, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for your comments. The damp problem has now been rectified and refurb plans are underway.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I'm sure there is a saying about First impressions, well if you want you first impression to be an absolute stink and dampness then this is the place for you. This hotels typifies everything that is wrong with a hotel that is guaranteed 100% occupancy because of a massive influx of workers from the islands Gas plant.

I would like you to look at the picture I have attached which I take it is the source of the stench that permeates the hotel, any decent managment would be getting this fixed ASAP, this ia a public health risk more than anything else, and i would dought it's recent going by the mould that is growing round it.

It really is a shame because the room I had was ok, a bit dated, but seemed to be clean, the shower was a nightmare with you having to run around to get wet, you do get a wifi signal but it's super slow just about good enough for e-mail, there was a great view over the harbour, if the owners put back in the money there making the place could be fantastic, at 90 odd pounds a night it is not a cheap experience, saying that all hotels in shetland are the smae price, but a lot better.

I was looking fwd to my main evening meal as I had heard good things about the food, but again was left severely dissapointed, really bland with no flavour, mayby this was a once off as locals say the food is excellent.

All in all not a pleasent experience which I will not be repeating any time soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dougstar

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all feedback. The damp problem was an issue with the roof tiles and this problem has now been rectified. I do apologise for the food that was not up to your standard. We have many compliments from our diners and I can assure you this is not the usual standard. Refurbishment plans are underway and work is due to start shortly.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here because of travel/weather delays in the Shetlands and was allocated this hotel by my employer, on entering the hotel there is a strong stench of stale beer & dampness, the decor is in need of a complete makeover, room was adequate, was woken twice during the night, first time was a scratching noise behind the wall next to the bed, obviously some kind of rodent and secondly by the TV switching itself on at 03:00 am, not amused, have to say though the food was excellent, sirloin for dinner was superb and a very good breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank delbhoy61

Thank you for your comments. The damp smell in reception was due to roof tiles being blown off in the high winds we experience. This has now been rectified and we hope to refurb the reception area in the near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Had a overnight in the hotel when in the Shetland and was very impressed. Room was spacious with all the normal mod cons. Good shower and a comfy bed.
Had a steak in the restaurant and was impressed with the level of service from the staff, both for breakfast and my evening meal.
Good view of the harbour area from my bedroom window!

Would stay again
Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank IrishTravellingGuy

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed in 4 other hotels in Lerwick, and this is my favourite. It is in good need of a refurb, but this seems to be standard in Lerwick
The rooms are big and comfortable with a quality shower and the staff are helpful. It is really handy for the town but parking is not existent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank contentscot

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My partner and I stayed one night at the Queen's Hotel in Lerwick, Shetland Islands. Our room was small but it did have a delightful view. However, the old Queen is showing her age, and is in need of some refurbishment. It is an historic hotel oozing old world charm right in the heart of the town. The restaurant has a nice outlook and we enjoyed a delicious dinner. We shared a plate of scallops, and then we both ordered the lamb. It was all beautifully cooked and presented. The following morning for breakfast I ordered the kippers, and my partner the smoked haddock, both were perfectly cooked. Breakfast is included in the tariff. Access to the hotel is via some narrow streets and parking is difficult nearby. However there is space to unload your luggage, before parking further away from the hotel.

Opposite the hotel entry is a lovely shop specialising in Shetland woollens called the Spider's Web, this is a must visit shop on your visit to Shetland with quality hand knitted garments and shawls for sale.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlie282000

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the feedback. Refurbishment plans are under-way and work is to commence shortly.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying in the Shetland Isles recently and we came across The Queens Hotel on our second day. Although the restaurant was very busy, we were very kindly fitted in at the bar and ordered the fish pie. It is the best fish pie I have ever had, it was so good we went back for a second helping a few days later and again were not disappointed. And at £9.95 each, we thought it was great value for money. The chips were homemade too, and were delicious.
All of the staff that we spoke to were really helpful and friendly. We will definitely come back here if we're lucky enough to visit the Shetland Isles again in the future

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter190781, Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your meals. We aim to provide quality food at affordable prices. Our staff try to make your visit enjoyable and we are happy that they have met expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
The Lerwick Hotel
The Moorfield Hotel
Glen Orchy Guest House
Glen Orchy Guest House
#4 of 6 in Lerwick

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!