Grand Hotel - Lerwick
  • Room Service
Very Good 4/5
Scalloway Hotel(Scalloway)
Good 3.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Tired and ragged around the edges would be best way of describing the Grand Hotel Lerwick. Eccentricity is also a feature starting with reception on the first floor (get used to walking up and down flights of stairs if your going to stay at this hotel!) the breakfast room on the second floor and the dining room back down on the first floor !

The decor was done by someone who didn't have an eye for either colour or pattern but thought plenty of both would suffice. My room on the second floor (handy for breakfast) was "peedie" to use the local term for small but actually perfectly adequate and clean.

The staff were all helpful and attentive and it's this rather the cosmetic issues that I find is better measure of accommodation

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank KrisKolumbus
Peter190781, Manager at Grand Hotel - Lerwick, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you very much for your comments posted on this forum. Unfortunately the décor of the building is something out-with my control. As for our breakfast room and dining room being on separate floors this we feel utilises the space to maximum efficiency. The building itself is very old and not a purpose built hotel with no character. On the positive side I happy that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

There is absolutely nothing grand about "The Grand Hotel". I was supposed to stay there for 8 weeks due to work on the island but after 2 weeks I'd had enough and changed hotels. I was paying £87 a night for B&B and for that I got me a single bed in a tiny, dank & damp room.

As soon as you enter the place you're made to feel about as welcome as a bacon roll in a synagogue! The tiny reception never has anyone there and you have to phone, or in my case, wander round until you find a member of staff. This is even worse if you're checking out in the morning. Even if you did find anyone, they probably couldn't work the computer. I had to leave once without paying. Unfortunately I had to pay upon my return.

The staff are seriously under-trained and over-worked! Even by Shetland standards, the food is awful! Everything comes with chips, whether you like it or not! The massive portions don't make up for the fact that the food will probably be over-cooked or, as happened to me one night, completely raw!

I have stayed in most of the hotels in Shetland due to work and this is by far the worst of the lot! Avoid like the plague!!!

I got a room in The Shetland Hotel, with double bed, modern bathroom, good wi-fi and the food is 10 times better for £80.

The only thing The "Grand" Hotel has going for it, is its central location!!!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Craig W

I am dismayed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately we cannot please all of our guests all of the time. If any of the points mentioned had been brought to the attention of the management team we could have resolved any problems you might have experienced. Unfortunately you have decided to put your comments on a public forum without giving us the chance to do anything about it. All of our staff receive on the job training and are not overworked. They work on average around 50 hours per week. With regards to the food if, when you placed your order you had asked for vegetetables or salad we would have obliged.

Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel is quite difficult to find in the first place as it is not located on the main road.

I stay in a room on the top floor (not too noisy but what a terrible shower). Furniture and amenities are very dated and a bit dismal.

If you have the option......stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Jimmy1963

I am very sorry that you appear not to have enjoyed your stay with us. The Hotel is located on the main shopping street in the town centre. I am not sure what you consider to be the main street. The water pressure on the top floor is always going to be an issue with an older building due to the pipework. The furniture and amenities are in my opinion in keeping with the character of the building and add to the charm of it rather than being a bland purpose built building.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice within the last month. To say it does not deserve its 3 stars is an understatment I would barely award it 1! The staff there can not be faulted. The service amazing. However, the staff are overworked and this sometimes shows. Talking to one of the waiters I was amazed to find out that they work 15 hours some days then a further 4-5 in the hotels nightclub then expected to be back up at 7am to do a breakfast shift the following day. The 1st time I stayed I was met by a rather inexperienced group with the longest serving staff member being there just 2-3 months and the newest 2 days. The 2nd time I visited I was met by the same staff minus 1 or 2 and the standards were unbelievable, the pride they took and the level of politeness was brilliant. The amount they progressed was amazing. However, 2 of this group had been sacked during my stay, after talking to locals I was told it was because the management did not like them, if this is the way managment work here god help the guests if they had a complaint. Over all the hotel needs serious updating, carpet held together with tape on the stairs, leaks in the dining rom and on the stairs,the decor I was even told the roof had collapsed in 1 of the rooms due to not being fixed previously. I will not be staying here again but at the Alder Lodge guest house where my collegue stayed, they culd not fault the service or standards there.

Room Tip: Dont stay here at all. if you must stay ask for a room away from the nightclub!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
10  Thank DJones1981
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This is a place where you should never go to if you want a meal or drink in lerwick went there last week with friends while in the area,

We waited for around 15 minutes to be served i was met by a dark haired rather buxom girl who was more interested in playing with her phone than giving me a drink she served me quickly only to run off and play with beer mats in the adjoiing bar with friends then totally diasapeared altogether for a further 20 minutes I could have drunk the bar dry in that time by that time we decided to go to oslas instead.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends