“large guest house, fine for short stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breiview Guest House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Breiview Guest House
Ranked #6 of 13 Lerwick B&B and Inns
Leeds
“large guest house, fine for short stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Very large guest house, friendly welcome, nice lounge with much appreciated honesty bar. However the bedroom (lower floor) was cold - the heating never came on and there is no drying room so our kayaking clothes remained wet. Fine for a one night stay but if visiting again I would try to avoid the 25 minute walk into town by staying in one of the several centrally located guest houses

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed 3 nights in a clean and convenient room. Indoor furnishing was not extravagant but reasonable for the price. Owners and staff were friendly, breakfast was OK. Responses to accomodation request and further e-mails were sent immediately and booking was very uncomplicated. Location is a bit outside of Lerwick but quiet and walking distance to town centre was acceptable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank DBrodie
edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

the owners are great rooms clean but breakfasts are a bit mundane the poorest quality of food ,and if you pay by visa they charge an extra 2%.It would be ok for two nights but anymore no

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

Just stayed two nights at Breiview on a business trip to Shetland. A bit out of town but a perfect place to crash at the end of a busy day with good breakfasts and nice rooms. What more do you need?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ColinDundee
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

I Stay 6 nights, The room was small but great, another chair would have been nice and a foot stool, however I just needed a place to put my head down, the bed was a bit short for me. the owners were great. I loved the view and the public room was wonderful. the total experience was wonderful. I look forward to visiting again. and would stay at Breiwview again. thank you for a wonderful time

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Asperis
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

Having had negative experiences of Glen Orchy and Alder Lodge and been unable to get a room at Fort Charlotte, I thought I'd go a little further out. I tried Breiview. I would agree with the other reviewer in that the decor is a bit eclectic but the rooms are generally big and the proprietors are very nice and keen to help you out. The beds had weird sheets on them (winsiette I think it's called) which undoubtably practical is a shock to find in 2009. The hotel is quiet and I didn't have a problem with the communal living room. There is is whisky and other drinks which are provided on the basis of an 'honesty box'. It has lovely views from the living room across the sound and I saw both seals and an otter on the shore a short walk away. Competitively priced and good value for money. Oh - avoid the bedroom under the stairs (no.9 I think) as it can be noisy with people walking overhead.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank whatulookinat
Stornoway, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2007

On the south side of Lerwick, Breiview is a large guesthouse. With the arrangement of the bedrooms I don't believe many will have a great view.

There is a shared lounge but due to the fact the windows won't open it gets intolerably hot in the summer. Our room was small and decorated in a seemingly random fashion , the rooms are in need of an upgrade.

The breakfast is very basic cooked one, with no fruit and orange being the only fruit juice.

The whole experience gives you the feeling the place was being run on the cheap and considering the rates aren't cheap leaves you feeling like you are being ripped off.

The saving grace was that the place had wifi if you sat near the entrance where you had line of sight to the owner's house and router

2 Thank seumasm
sheltieLerwick, owner at Breiview Guest House, responded to this review, 23 July 2009
I just want to clarify some of the points made in the last review. It has only come to our attention from a satisfied customer who couldn't believe what was written and told us today.
We advertise a nice view from our 8 metre square lounge and don't mention the view from the bedrooms. Saying that, 5 out of 9 rooms do have a view which I believe is a lot more than most places. The others look on to a garden. How many guest houses have views!!!
In our lounge there are big windows that open. If the guest happens to push the lock while trying to open them, they automatically lock. The guests only have to ask for the key. The guests were staying in September and even in summer we are lucky if the temperature reaches 18 degrees.
Our cooked breakfast consists of 2 bacon, 2 sausages, tomatoes, beans and egg (fried scrambled, poached or boiled. There is also porridge, toast, tea, coffee, yoghurts, grapefruit segments, apples and orange juice. I didn't think a second fruit juice was needed as the visit scotland inspector thought our choice was adequate for a 3 star guest house.
Our rates are the same as other guest houses in Shetland although 2 years ago not many had en suite rooms and they charged the same rates than us.
I don't think they realised that the WIFI could be picked up in the porch, lounge and 5 of the rooms. Again at that time we were the only guest house with this facility.
Unfortunately the room they were in didn't pick up the signal.
I believe the room they were in was 4 metres by 3.5 metres plus their en suite. I would not think that was small for a twin room. I don't understand the bit about decorating in a random way but we have been upgrading our rooms and they have all been renovated recently.
I think they checked in on the 14th at night and checked out the next morning so I do think that this has been an unfair review. I would have liked them to bring up some of the points with us on check out and I could have clarified them with them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lerwick
Glen Orchy Guest House
#1 of 1 in Scalloway
Self Catering Shetland
Self Catering Shetland
#1 of 6 in Lerwick

Been to Breiview Guest House? Share your experiences!