“Young, energetic, attentive and fun staff, makes all the difference”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Windlestrae Hotel

Windlestrae Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kinross
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Young, energetic, attentive and fun staff, makes all the difference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were given a Groupon deal for Christmas for a one night stay, with SPA treatment, dinner and breakfast and could not have been happier. Yes, some of the decor needs updating particularly in the bathroom, but the overall experience was so good that I didn't really care too much about this. Although I forgot to mention to the staff that the shower is stuck at the highest temperature (I'll email them) so it was powerful, but very hot - took a bath in the morning instead. I had pre-booked the room and got 3rd choice regarding date. Well I'm sure they sold 100's of those deals, because of the great value, so was quite happy that we managed to get a Saturday overnight in the first place. We also pre-booked our treatments. We arrived at 1PM and were told that our room would be ready for 2PM which actually we expected and since our treatments were booked for 3:15PM it was fine. We had a lovely relaxing start to our break with a lunch in the bar area, which was basic but fine. The service was very good from the girl that was there by herself, didn't get her name, but did a nice job. Then we went to check in and got our room at 2PM as promised. We were in room 212 which was a great room at the end of the block, quiet, clean, spacious, warm and a lovely garden view with a large flatscreen TV (modern) with good reception, but we only had it on for background music - Capital Radio. We had some wine in our relaxing room, away from our 3 kids and prepared for the SPA treatments. Those were in very professional, relaxing surroundings (the music must be the same as that in Deep Sea World). My wife had a massage from Gemma and said it was fantastic. I actually booked in for a manicure, but ended up changing to something different (for me a first) and had Laura deliver a facial. My first ever experience and I loved it. Because I am actually a chatterbox Laura was very engaging, answered all my questions (and I ask loads) and I could not have been more relaxed and comfortable - props to Laura! Then we went to the comfortable pool and experienced the jaccuzi, steam room, sauna and a swim. There is also a gym but we didn't use it. Take a £1 coin for your locker which is refundable. Everything was very organized with polite and attentive staff supporting. Then we went back to the room to get organized for dinner which was booked for 7:30. The voucher gave us £20 each to spend, so we only ended up paying for the bottle of wine and I had the mussels for starters and the Calzone meat feast. Fantastic dinner and fantastic service from the young lady Emma. Others served us also, but she stood out and made. My wife had the minestrone soup, which actually comes with cheese in it, but she doesn't like cheese, so they replaced it without any fuss at all. Then she had the steak and said it was just great and just to her liking (well done :-). After that we actually went back to the bar for some shots and had some chats and pool with the locals and some other guests. Stuart behind the bar was very attentive and fun. Towards midnight some of the other staff came to the bar and joined in with the fun. You can see that this is a fun crowd that get the job done, with a smile so they must be enjoying it which is a plus for the visitors. Breakfast had again everything that you wanted, buffet style and again Emma served us, which was great. Another staff member that is worth mentioning is Rachel as she was very polite, helpful and cheerful. All in all a fantastic experience, which is made by the staff! Great job, but WHY oh WHY not a Scottish flag outside?

Room Tip: 212 is great (if the shower is fixed)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed for one night on an itison voucher, it is such a beautiful place, my massage and fish feet treatment were amazing, food was delicious and lovely hotel atmosphere, the dogs were allowed at hotel so it was lovely to take them a walk along the loch. The spa was so relaxing and well maintained, I cannot wait to return but next time will be going for the full weekend as a night just isn't long enough, one of the best places I have ever been

• Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Windlestrae using a groupon deal for dinner, bed, breakfast and a 30 minute treatment. From calling to make the reservation things seemed disorganised, I was informed that my chosen dates, and my alternative dates were unavailable, then the assistant told me that a member of the reservation team would call me back the next day, they never did however, but when I called back I was able to book for the weeken we first wanted which was great. They took my groupon code etc. The week before we were due to arrive I emailed to enquire about reservations for dinner and our treatments, I assumed there'd be slots reserved for guests using packages that include treatments, but they could only offer 10am which wasn't any good to us as check in isn't until 2pm and we had kids to drop off in the morning. They did offer a round of golf or use of facilities on an alternative date however by way of compensation as we had paid for a deal including a treatment each. We also received a chilled bottle of wine in our room which was a lovely touch and the staff were all very polite and helpful.

The hotel looks a little run down from the outside, the windows need cleaned and the paintwork touched up, but it seems to be getting renovated, and from the standard of our room I'd say it will be lovely once it's all finished. Our room was warm, modern and comfortable. The only things letting it down was the 2 bathroom spot lights which didn't work and the huge cobwebs in the corner near the window which we removed ourselves.

We ate in monty's restaurant which was lovely, the food was fantastic and the staff were attentive. We'd go back.

• Stayed February 2013
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Stayed here on a spa weekend given as a xmas gift,brilliant leisure facilities good pool,the beauty treatments were awsome and staff within beauty were very friendly and polite,Hotel is being refurbished just now which has caused some (teething problems) but was dealt with by very effient staff,we will return,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

We celebrated our anniversary and my wife's birthday on the 26th of February 2013. We had a package deal with two massages, dinner and breakfast included. We really received more than what we paid for. The staff were excellent all through our stay. Our dinner comprised of pizzas salad, pizzabread and steak which were done to a high standard. All the compliments to the chef. Jemma was our "masseuse". She was friendly, and professional. And to put the cherry on the cake, my wife received a "happy birthday card" from all the staff. Thank you to the staff at the reception desk. You are an asset to the Green Hotel! In general, thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality and making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Choose room 304!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I have been to this hotel on several occasions usually on a deal with Groupon or KGB and have never been disappointed,the staff are very friendly and the food is very good,nothing seems a bother.the fact that we have been several times speaks volumes in itself as if it's not right then we would not go back.the leisure facilities are and the pool are usually pretty quiet which is the way I like it,as we can just relax and chill out.Overall I would recommend this hotel if you wanted a nice few days to relax.there is also the Green Hotel across the road which is also part of it,but you have to walk across the road to the leisure facilities at the WindleStrae.there are a couple of nice Restaraunts in the town to have a meal in also.I think you would enjoy it.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room over looking the pool as all you will see is the roof.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Brechin, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Sheila and I arrived here on Sunday for a one night stay on a Wowcher coupon, not sure what to expect, actually the deal sounded too good to be true.On the Monday, as we checked out we agreed we had just had the best time thanks mainly to the attentive, smiley, helpful staff, in the hotel, the leisure area and the beauty facility. We are determined to return. Must mention the food, cannot fault the evening meal or the breakfast AND we both love our food which means we can be hyper-critical on occasions. Thank you to all, see you soon. Almost forgot their sister hotel, the Greens where we lunched on Sunday afternoon - great food and service.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jay63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinross
The Green Hotel
#6 of 6 in Kinross
Duchally Country Estate
Duchally Country Estate
#2 of 4 in Auchterarder

Been to Windlestrae Hotel? Share your experiences!