“One of our regular haunts” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Balgedie Toll Tavern

Balgedie Toll Tavern
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kinross
Balgedie Toll Tavern
Ranked #5 of 10 Kinross B&B and Inns
Scotland
“One of our regular haunts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Four of us had a bar meal here. Food was well up to the usual good standard and the beer was as good as ever. This place is always very busy at weekends so you would be advised to book. Parking is a bit limited but we have always managed to find a spot.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheGoodShag

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the Balgedie Toll with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed its quaint atmosphere and tasty pub grub. Staff were attentive and friendly and our food arrived piping hot which is always a good sign. The portions were big and offered good value for money. Our food was tasty and well seasoned. However, the chips could done with being crispier. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for simple tasty pub food. We will definitely be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry_M84
SCOTLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We used to come in here all the time and I do remember having a lovely meal here before however on going back this January this has changed. The food on the menu looks good but comes out basic and throughout the meal we had to listen to the most loudest lady chatting to her friends, talking to customers over the room and letting her son run riot - this turned out to be either the owner or manager who obviously likes the sound of her own voice but completely ruined the experience for us making it seem quite a tacky place - this is a shame as the staff are great and trying their best - does need an upgrade and a better painting job

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheBuchanansScotland
Gillybean73, Owner at Balgedie Toll Tavern, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I find your comments a little odd to say the least as I don't live on the premises and therefore neither does my son. I tend to work mostly in the evenings and my son (who is very young) is in bed sleeping before I even start my shifts. I don't entertain my friends on the premises as I don't consider it professional and it would also be a bit of a busman's holiday for me to spend my time off there. If I am out with friends then it is usually nearer my home which is a good 40 minute drive from the premises. Also, if I am speaking to customers that I know, then I am usually at their table talking to them and not 'talking to customers over the room.' We are a family restaurant and children of all ages are welcome. However, we do not condone children being allowed to run riot and we have in the past asked guests to keep their children seated when they have been causing a disturbance, and we have also asked adults if they could please keep the noise down where appropriate. This is not something that we would shy away from tackling. If you were being disturbed by noise during your visit, then perhaps it would have been helpful to complain at the time when we could have had opportunity to do something about it, rather than bringing it up here several months later when we are unable to do anything about it. We could have very easily moved the noisy guests to a different area or offered you another table in a quieter area, in our restaurant upstairs or in our separate snug bar (which also has tables for dining). We much prefer to rectify any issues at the time of your visit so that we can ensure that you leave completely satisfied and having enjoyed your visit.

I notice from some of your other reviews that you have a food intolerance which obviously limits your choice somewhat when selecting from menus. If we can ever be of assistance to you by catering something specific for you, then please do not hesitate to ask and we will do our best to accommodate your request. 24 hours notice is appreciated for special dietary requests if possible. I don't think that labeling our food as basic is a fair or true statement, you simply have to look at some of the other reviews on here or visit us to see that we are a busy and thriving restaurant with a lot of repeat custom to know that is not an accurate reflection of our offering. We have won awards and also been included in several publications such as the Good Food Guide which only a very limited number of establishments gain entry into.

I hope you will visit us again sometime in the future and allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our establishment.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We came across this little place by accident. The dod was great. Lovely fresh ingredients. Lovely girls serving and as for the puddings ???? Well... They lasted all of 2 seconds on the plate !!!!! Can't wait to go back and try it in the evening !!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank junemayf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I hadn't been here in at least six years after my last experience was so bad! I can still remember the spinach pancake thing I had! As a veggie I always know the options are limited on a menu. I ordered the nachos for starter which were fine and the main course choices was leek and walnut filo parcels, goats cheese filo parcels (hardly imaginative) or traditional Caesar salad which was marked veggie on menu but any veggie knows that the dressing has fish in it if it's traditional! Ordered the goat cheese and it was deep fried! Didn't say that on menu! If I'd known that I wouldn't have ordered! Anyway it was fine but didn't come with anything but salad for £11- bit steep for veggie option to be one of most expensive on menu! Disappointed in my meal which is a pity as it's a cosy pub with nice girls working I only wish it done better veggie options! Will be sticking to The Kirklands in Kinross in future as they do more imaginative options!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank weedely
Gillybean73, Owner at Balgedie Toll Tavern, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your recent visit and I'm sorry that you were disappointed by our Vegetarian options. As everyone's tastes are so different, it is always difficult to please everyone all of the time but we do try our very hardest to choose dishes with wide appeal. We are a very small country pub with a tiny kitchen, and we regularly receive praise from vegetarians that we always have at least 4 different vegetarian main course options on our menu, with regular vegetarian specials in addition to these.

I would just like to clarify for yourselves and for others reading this that our Caesar dressing (described as classic) is absolutely 100% vegetarian as there are no anchovies or any other fish products in it. The Worcestershire sauce used in the Caesar dressing is also an anchovy free version 100% suitable for vegetarians. I accept that there are probably hundreds of variations across the globe in the way that Caesar salads and dressings are made but the original Caesar salad created by Caesar Cardini did not contain any anchovies, hence our description as 'classic Caesar dressing.' We take great pride in preparing and cooking as much as humanly possible on the premises (freshly to order) and we would NEVER include any non-vegetarian ingredients and put them out in menu items labelled vegetarian. I'm pretty sure we could be sued for that and the Department of Trading Standards would also take a very dim view of any type of misrepresentation. If any of our customers ever have any questions or concerns regarding ingredients used in dishes we are very happy to answer these and any of our staff would gladly have allayed your concerns during your visit had you asked for clarification.

The other dish you mention is not in fact leek and walnut filo parcels, it is a Ragout of Leeks and Walnut, and it is presented in a filo basket, as stated in the description. The reason for this is purely visual, as we do not feel it would look appealing to just slop it on a plate with the actual accompaniments which are new potatoes and salad.

We also offer a Sun-dried Tomato and Roasted Pepper Penne Pasta dish which is served with garlic bread, and this is a hugely popular choice with both vegetarians and non-vegetarians, myself included. My Head Chef spent a large amount of time working in Mediterranean countries and his pasta sauce is really good, and I personally recommend it if you've not tried it. The prices of our vegetarian options remain competitive in the current market, and start with 2 different options at just £7.95. We pride ourselves on the quality of the ingredients we use, cherry picking from many different suppliers to ensure that quality and freshness always take precedent over just opting for the cheapest, hence why the goats cheese dish is slightly more expensive at £10.95.

I hope that you will visit us again sometime and please feel free to ask us for any particular favourites that you have. We are happy to make something specifically for you provided we have the required ingredients available and a fully-staffed kitchen. If I can be of any further assistance, then please do not hesitate to contact me at the Balgedie Toll or via
gillianparsons@btopenworld.com.

Kind regards,

Gillian Anderson
Proprietor
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Toll is very cosy with a real fire. Love the tartan curtains! We have just had our 3rd meal here and it is just fantastic! Everything is cooked fresh and is quality! portion sizes are good. The Balgedie Smokie is so yummy if you are a fish fan!
Friendly and attentive staff. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We called in here one Thursday night after driving past and deciding to stop for dinner.
It was a good sign that when we asked for a table for two, we got the last available table!
I had the home made beef pie which came with veg and chips - I really enjoyed my meal, and I would have it again!
My partner had the chicken pasta, which he ate all of and said it was ok but not something he would order again.
The service was prompt and friendly, one slight gripe was that we weren't made aware of the specials menu, which we both would have ordered from, had we known it was an option! We only became aware of it when we overheard the table next to us ask about it!
We both agreed that this pub was a great find, and we will return in future.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinross
Kirklands Hotel
#1 of 10 in Kinross
Kelson Lodge
Kelson Lodge
#2 of 10 in Kinross

Been to Balgedie Toll Tavern? Share your experiences!