“Very very poor room”

Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We booked one night at this hotel and thank goodness it was brief. Where shall I start. I asked for a top floor room but didn't get one. On entering our room we were greeted by a dirty carpet that looked like it hadn't seen a vacuum in quite some time, crumbs and hairs a plenty, it smelled of food, like fatty beef. The bed had a valance over the bottom of the divan which was beyond filthy and ripped in places. The shower head was leaking and dripping down the side of the bath, it was soaking a well placed towel left on the floor but by now was running along the tiles and leaking into the bedroom soaking the carpet. Around the bath was a black mould that didn't look in the slightest bit attractive. There was no hair dryer. The wallpaper was peeling in places and dirty marks on the walls were in abundance. To be honest we very rarely complain especially if it's a one night stay but we did tell reception that the carpet needed hovering and about the leak in the bathroom. After returning to the room at 11.45pm we found the carpet had been vacuumed and the leak had been thwarted by placing a drier thicker towel on the floor to catch the water! There was a wedding party taking place just outside our bedroom window with music, laughter and shouting loud enough to keep us awake. It just could not get any worse. We have never stayed anywhere quite so awful and if it wasn't for the fact we had a drink in the village we would have driven home.
One the bright side we had a lovely meal at the Windsor Tiffin Indian restaurant in the village. It was superb but that in no way reflects well on Sketchley Grange. I read that there are nice rooms in the newer part of the hotel so maybe if you get one of those you'll be fine but please make sure you check before booking or you could end up as disillusioned as us. The pool area was fine but in no way can make up for the poor state of the room and the lack of sleep. Never to return.

Room Tip: Not 142 avoid like the flu
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kindlelover07
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I am truly disappointed by your review as this is not the normal standard of housekeeping for our property, albeit your comments would suggest the opposite. I would really appreciate having the opportunity to discuss your feedback over the telephone so I can ascertain the whereabouts of the room described, as I have no reports from the management team regarding your complaint, which is very unusual given the alleged condition of the room. I do hope to hear from you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with 3 friends for a wedding reception being held at the hotel. Check in and check out were very efficient. We had been allocated a family suite in the newer part of the hotel. Our room was lovely, it was huge, tastefully decorated and had everything we needed. Shame we didn't have the time to use the spa facilities but, we did go and have a peek, it looked very nice. The wedding reception was amazing and the buffet served was delicious. The staff were all very attentive. Had a good nights sleep and enjoyed breakfast in the morning. The hotel in a few areas could welcome some updating and a little tlc but, this didn't make any difference to our lovely stay. Would definitely go back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Chelsea,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our property, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Accessed round the back of a housing estate our initial impressions of the hotel were positive - it didn’t appear to be a grand place set within acres and acres of land, but there was plenty of parking and the reception area appeared welcoming. Throughout check-in the staff were friendly although the process was painfully slow.

Our room was on the first floor and described as an executive double. From the size alone it was impressive and remains one of the biggest rooms I have stayed in for a hotel of this level. It was tastefully decorated, everything felt relatively new and the bed very comfortable. The TV had a thorough range of Freeview channels and Sky Sports was also available for free. With a separate sofa, desk area, view over the garden and effective air conditioning it has to be a highlight of the hotel. However, it was a little disappointing that there weren’t any spare pillows in the wardrobe and no bathrobes, especially as this is a spa resort. Whilst the bath was beautifully large, the shower needs some thought - unfortunately it was so powerful it was actually painful. Its design dictates that increasing heat also increases power, but to the point of discomfort. They seemed a little stingy on the toiletries too, and not being re-stocked after the first night meant we ran out. Only two teabags too! A few things which unfortunately held a beautiful room back from being totally amazing.

The rest of the hotel area was clean and nicely finished and any staff were polite in passing. On our first day we did find the layout a bit like a maze though, and information regarding where exactly the spa and restaurants are, how the hotel functions etc was a bit lacking. The in-room hotel guide could do with a major re-think.

The main restaurant was our choice for the first night. It's a contemporary design and large but only had around four other diners on the Thursday evening we were there. The food itself was nice, but unfortunately the service and attention really let the hotel down. The wrong glass of wine was brought (red instead of white), peas with the fish weren't mushy as advertised, no sauce with the ice cream desert as described, long waits between courses, glassware which could do with a proper clean and not overly attentive staff all made the experience rather underwhelming. The menu promises a lot but we didn't feel like going for a second time.

This restaurant is where breakfast is served - a standard hotel buffet affair. The range of food was good, hot food was kept hot and replenished frequently and also tasty! Again plates and glassware was a little grubby / marked and staff still weren’t as attentive as we’d have liked. I won’t complain too much though as with views over the small garden it did provide a welcome start to each day. It was also good that serving continued late into the morning so there was still time for a lie-in!

The hotel bar is relaxing and had a great choice of drinks. Large TVs and plenty of seating along with a spacious dining area meant it was a nice area to relax. There's a good variety of drinks and we also ate here on our second night. The menu, for us, was better than the main restaurant with much more choice. Considering the food comes from the main kitchen it arrived in good time and was tasty. Portion sizes weren't great for the price, but nothing worse than you'd expect in a hotel.

Free wifi is available throughout the hotel, but what a pain it is to actually use! You’re forced to re-login what feels like every few hours, often it dropped out, sometimes painfully slow…frustrating. Unfortunately mobile reception wasn’t great to give an alternative.

The spa facilities in the hotel were great. Unfortunately I can’t comment on any of the treatments as they were fully booked on the Friday, however the ‘menu’ of treatments is lengthy and exhaustive. Prices seemed reasonable too. Definitely worth pre-booking these as soon as you arrive to avoid disappointment. The pool area was lovely and a great size; it never felt crowded while we were there. Plenty of seating around the outside and good supply of drinking water made it a very relaxing environment. Sauna, jacuzzi and steam room all functioned well and were always available. Changing rooms were clean and large with all the facilities you’d expect.

Overall this is a nice hotel with lovely spa facilities and clean beautiful rooms. Unfortunately some lack of attention to detail lets it down. It feels like a lot of their visitors are regulars and some thought could go in to making first time guests more welcome and familiar. If they were to sort this and ensure all the staff were on ‘tip-top’ attentive form it would certainly be above the average experience that we were left with.

Room Tip: Executive doubles very spacious
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevebintley

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Sketchley Grange Hotel. You have raised some very valid points in your feedback which we will certainly look into and address. We really appreciate your comments and hope you will find time to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were all very excited for our relaxing 2 nights at the spa. Very disappointed with what we actually received. The young lady at the bar was lovely and very helpful - but that was the extent of our help. We booked ourselves into the restaurant for a three course meal. Our very simple starters took 50 minutes to come, followed by a further half an hour for our main. We were given a complimentary drink which was the least they could've offered. We then slept in a beautiful junior suite room on the first floor. But as there was three of us, the other room was on the other side of the hotel - the hotel was pretty empty as it was midweek but they were unable to move our rooms closer to one another. A real shame. The next morning we went to breakfast and were pretty happy (with the self service). Only to be once again disappointed by the spa- no available appointments all day, or for the following day apart from a half an hour slot the next morning. The lady offered an hour treatment in a half an hour slot with no discount. Ridiculous. The swimming pool area had children splashing around in it. Relaxing? Disappointing. The sauna and steam room were ok and the jacuzzi broke down mid-use. We decided to go into Burbridge town centre which was really lovely and had a brilliant meal. Met some locals who told us that the hotel had been taken over and been split from the actual spa. Which confirmed our thoughts that the hotel spa was actually a hotel, next to a spa. So the fact we left with no treatments and a bill for the over priced drinks and newspapers we hadn't requested, we left less relaxed than we had arrived. One word. Disappointed. Wouldn't rush back

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Remi21
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in receiving your food and for the spa being fully booked during your recent stay with us over what was an exceptionally busy Easter weekend. It seems our spa is extremely popular and people do book in advance of arriving at the hotel and despite having additional therapists on duty we were not able to accommodate all enquires made, especially ones which were made on the day. Whilst I appreciate your comments around the children we do operate adult only times in order to ensure all parties are catered for, I also wish to address your comments about the unforeseen breakdown of the Jacuzzi for which I apologise.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

When we first arrived it looked nice from the outside and busy at reception we had a young girl who told us our package was £100 food and drink per room as expected bearing in mind we had two rooms so £200 to spend between 2 couples. We went down for dinner at about 8 which was the time we booked over the phone 4 months ago turned up and it wasn't even in the diary but was told because not busy can seat us (not impressed as we booked so far in advance) sat down was given menus, after 10 minutes asked if we wanted a drink which we asked for 2 bottles of wine which were not served just plonked on the table so had to pour ourself I asked the same waiter what the soup of the day was and was told it was Tomato he didn't seem confident so when the waitress came to take our order I asked again and she had no idea asked the kitchen and found it was leak ! Good job I didn't order that. I just presume waiters should be aware of the soup of the day and be able to pour the wine. These were very young and had no idea. The food was lovely though. We had spent by then over £130 in the restaurant and went to reception to check our balance whilst we order drinks at the bar to be told that we get £100 food and drink allowance per booking ! Even though the receptionist told us £100 per room not £100 in total. When we said the member of staff told us that she just said she is new and probably didn't understand the system. WHY PUT SOMEONE NEW ON RECEPTION WHO HAS NO CLUE WHAT SHE IS DOING! What a joke so got told we now have to pay the difference. We then went to continue our night ordering our drinks at the bar putting them on our room to then be asked to pay for a round because we had argued with reception ! We ended up just going back to the room because we were very annoyed by this time ! The next morning we wake up expecting to have a body wrap to get a phone call saying the girl has called in sick! Why do you not have anyone to cover? However the manager in the spa was very good and offered us other treatments. But I think overall that sums up the management in this hotel no one knows what's going on and are young and don't care about it. The attitude of reception was outrageous and we would NEVER come back again. Another thing they have took money out of our bank without consent which Could be classed as fraud I have requested the managers email and no one has bothered to reply to my email !!!! the hotel rooms are beautiful but everything else lets it down ! We will not be back but would like the manager to provide us with his email promptly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EssexHana
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear EssexHana

Please call me direct at the hotel so we can talk through your concerns. I have checked today, but unfortunately we are not in receipt of your email and I certainly would not ignore a guest. I look forward to talking to you in due course. In the meantime thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. I will of course make sure the agent who you have booked through is thoroughly briefed for future bookings and particularly with reference to the allocation of money available to spend whilst on site and of course in advance of any guests arriving at the hotel.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Visited Sketchely Grange on Good Friday as a belated Mothers Day present. My hopes were high as I had read previous reviews but I was bitterly disappointed. We were made to feel neither welcomed or pampered and the lack of organisation was astonishing. Arrived to find no-one on Reception, we were eventually shown through to the lounge where we received a complimentary drink (the only one of the day) and this took an age to arrive. We were given confilcting information on what would happen next.
We were then given our robes and towels, my robe had two holes in it and had seen better days. The changing-room was ok but as the spa area is also used by the attached hotel, it was very busy with lots of children (as was the spa area). Nothing against kids, I have two of my own but part of the appeal of the spa day was the supposed tranquility and calm, this was non-existent.
We were also not given any flip flops and had to walk through the spa area and Reception (and the one toilet) with bare feet. Again, not relaxing. The decor was in need of updating, many loose ceiling tiles and mould on the ceiling above the jacuzzi. Saunda and steam room both nice but pool and jacuzzi was cold. As a hotel guest, the pool area would be better than average but it is definitely not up to spa level.. If you have been anywhere like Ragdale Hall, you will be bitterly disappointed with Sketchley Grange. You get what you pay for I suppose but I am now saving up to go to Ragdale where they know how to organise a spa day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank acwa1
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your personal thoughts. I am so sorry that nobody met you immediately on arrival and that the children interrupted your visit, but I am sure you will appreciate that there was a number of families in attendance at the hotel given that this was the Easter Holiday. I appreciate that you may want to compare us with another spa, However, readers please be aware as there is a £50.00 difference in the “from” prices from our spa days at the said venue. You have raised many valid points which I will certainly look into, once again thank you for your comments, as you have also emailed the hotel direct, we look forward to talking to you later today.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The most unorganised hotel I've ever come across. None of the staff communicate with each other and no one seems to know what's going in. The hotel manager is probably the most clueless of them all.
Rooms are standard

Food is nice

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank charliebrown4309

Dear Charlie Brown,

We take all of our feedback very seriously and ask every guest on checkout their opinions on their stay with us, in addition we operate a 24hr guest care manager who will gather and act upon feedback accordingly. Unfortunately I cannot ascertain what your issues are by reading your review, perhaps you could call me at your convenience in order that I can gather a little more information.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Badgers Mount Hotel
Badgers Mount Hotel
#1 of 1 in Elmesthorpe
Leicester Marriott Hotel

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!