“Good value break”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Good value break”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked an overnight break through a Groupon deal - pleasantly surprised that the bank holiday weekend was included in the deal. Hotel well signposted from main road with ample parking. Check in process was swift, efficient and friendly. We had book a 'junior executive suite' and the was enormous and gorgeous - spacious, modern and clean. Considering the price we paid through Groupon we were very impressed. Judging by other reviews, it's clear that there is a huge disparity between the old part of the hotel and the new part that we were in.

We headed straight to the Spa - to be honest, it's nothing special and unusually for a spa was full of screaming kids but I guess it was bank holiday.

In the evening, we got changed and went down to the bar for drinks and food. The bar area was pleasant enough. We decided to opt out of the restaurant and eat at the bar instead (there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel). It's a little confusing as there are no menus so we asked at the bar and he handed us a menu which are kept behind the bar for some reason.

We ordered our food and it arrived promptly. We had the choice of eating at the sofas near the bar or in the dining area, the waitress was happy to accommodate our choice. The food was very average - frozen food that you would pick up from Iceland.

Anyway after dinner and drinks we retired to our room where we enjoyed a good nights sleep despite the drunk screaming women next door!

Breakfast the next morning was served in the main restaurant and was very pleasant. We were greeted at the desk and shown to a table. Service was good with tables cleared and tea/coffee top ups readily available. The food was of a decent standard with a good choice.

Based on the Groupon deal, I would consider staying here again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ranbir S
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback which has certainly been noted. We do hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I went to the sketchley grange wanting a night away with the girls to refresh. I left more stressed than when I went! Bar manager acting nice but could see the rolling eyes and attitude as he walked away. The rest of the bar staff were fine. Then we went to the Restaurant, the food was over cooked and cold and the service was slow and in satisfying. Would not recommend this place unless you want to be stressed to the hilts!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Chloee975
Please accept my apologies. Your comments will form part of our review and training strategy and I therefore thank you for bringing such matters to my attention. I have also passed your feedback to the persons concerned who also wish to be associated with this apology.

Travellers are raving about these Hinckley hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for a wedding, we requested a room in the newer section- we got a very old dated room which was so old and tired!!!!! The lamp shades were torn and coming off the walls. Room described as a double.... This was a 3/4 size bed!!!!! And the worst if all, check out the bathroom when first in the room, there was human feaces in the toilet- went to complain and they did nothing, hardly no apology... Not bothered! Really nice hotel with lovely function room, shame about the terrible room!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part if the hotel, however this is what we requested and they did not give...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jmb1104
Please could I ask you to make contact with the hotel so I can take some more details regarding your review as I have looked though the duty manager’s daily communication books and cannot find the details as described above and would welcome a moment of your time.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the sketchley Grange due to nearby work commitments. Unfortunately wasn't impressed. Although the reception staff were very friendly, on arrival to my room I was hit by a heat that felt like the steam room was directly below. No air con. And although the spa brochure said fans available, there wasn't any when I asked. Windows opened about 1 cm. Although the room was disappointing and very very dated the food in the restraunt made up for what they lacked in style upstairs. Bar staff-poor, very slow although 3 behind the bar, they were to busy talking to each other than serving waiting customers. And as most hotels are very over priced. Needless to say I'm glad it was funded by work and I didn't have to take the hit on the bill. Try another if in the area is my advice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am so sorry for the lack of fans it appears that the warm weather has crept up on us very quickly and the demand for fans was higher than normal on the night you stayed with us. Windows can be opened further via reception once the child friendly window restrictor has been unlocked.
Kingston Upon Hull
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Myself, my wife, 8 year old son, 30 year old daughter and 9 year old grandson had decided on the family fun Stay Play Explore promotion in Leicestershire, and had booked the 1 night hotel stay at Sketchley Grange (the promotion gives you the choice of 1 night in any 4 hotels around Leicester, and entrance into any 3 of 5 Leicestershire attractions - Twycross, Space Centre, etc ). I had emailed the hotel as the promotion is for 2 children and 2 adults, and needed to enquire about the costs of an extra adult going along. I got a reply within a couple of hours explaining they could do this, and it would just be an extra £35 for the extra adult, to be added to the promotion price of £109.00, as they had a family room that slept 5 - unless we wanted 2 separate rooms, in which case it would work out at a total of £210. 1 Room it was then! I was a bit concerned that we would be crammed in, but as it was just for 1 night... .We arrived about 11.00am (check in is at 2pm) just to pick up the tickets for the attractions and were booked in , given the room keys, and given all the info we needed so when we came back after our day out we could go straight to the room.
Room 237 - It is HUGE! There was a large king size bed, a metal framed fold out (from the settee) double, and then in the bottom part of the L shaped room there was a camp bed. Still plenty of room for the kids to dump their stuff, the 2 ladies to get out hair dryers etc, and still no danger of standing/tripping on anything! A seperate toilet, a very large wetroom with a big shower with rainfall head, a very deep standalone bath, and his and hers washbasins. Phew! There was a large (46") Samsung TV on the back wall that could be turned to bee seen from any direction. Good quality furniture, and beautifully decorated too.
A visit to the pool was made by the kids and the wife, and they were suitably impressed with the facilities/cleanliness of the whole spa.
Breakfast was included, and is of the buffet type, with good quality produce, and everything from cereal, cold meats, full english, and continental options.
The staff were all friendly, helpful, and polite throughout the stay, and even had a bit of a joke with the kids as well, some of the dearer hotels could learn a lot from them!
No complaints whatsoever, from any of our party, in fact the wife wanted to go back the following weekend without the children!

Room Tip: If you've gone as a family of 4 or 5 see if you can have room 237. Plenty of room, and although...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 60ssoulboy
Your review has made our day as this is a new package for Sketchley Grange and has been received very well from our family visitors. I am so glad you had such a great time. Hope to see you soon
Desborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My sister in law and I purchased a groupon deal to have a night here and then a spa day (the Spa is a separate business I think) the suite we were given was a lovely spacious room with an extremely comfortable bed. Our room was listed as a junior suite and was so much bigger than I expected with great views of the countryside. A massive bathroom with shower and separate bath, nice toiletries in there too. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially John on reception. Breakfast was delicious, I rate cooked breakfasts by their sausage.... it was a good sausage! Big selection of food, yum yum.
The spa was very well equipped and treatments were very good too. I would definitely like to return.

Room Tip: The rooms, if judged by ours, are very generous in size, we had a junior suite and could easily have...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank RachelTripper T
It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us, hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 nights at Sketchley thinking it would be a relaxing break for us both.
However, the pool area was overran with children, running, shouting and jumping into the pool. There were also children jumping into the jacuzzi which should not have been acceptable. I understand we visited during the half term break, however, the facilities are advertised as a relaxing spa break not a public pool. Children were not allowed in the pool area after 7pm, but when we visited the pool at 8.30pm, there were some older children jumping and shouting. The breakfast was ok, the scrambled eggs did not look appetising at all.
The bedroom was very spacious and we had a lovely view of the garden. The bathroom was also big and clean. Staff were polite.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bhav100
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I will certainly review the situation on poolside particularly with the younger visitors and thank you for bring this matter to our attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 40 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,449 reviews

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!