“Oh Dear. Not a 4 Star Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa

Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear. Not a 4 Star Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was looking for a hotel to take my wife to on our silver wedding anniversary and found that Groupon were offering a deal on Sketchley Grange. Anyway, I checked the web site and the hotel looked really good, and I thought it would be nice to spend the afternoon there relaxing around the pool as well. However, as this was a special occasion, I phoned them and paid an extra £45 for a particular room that I had seen on the web site. This was not too much of an issue, but I was really pestered for the extra money to secure the room. We arrived at about 2:30 pm in the afternoon and entered in to the reception area and must admit, I had a bad feeling about the place. Anyway, we eventually found our room after the receptionist obviously sent us the long way round, and low and behold, it really was not as good as the picture on the web site. There was a nice view of the countryside, slightly spoiled by a warehouse next door and the fact that the window had a failed unit causing it to mist up. In fact both windows in the bathroom and one window in the sitting room was misted up. The skirting board was dusty and there was confetti on the floor left by the previous guests (nice touch) The bathroom was large with a big shower, but mould in the grout and split sealant around the bath rather took the shine off it. The sitting room had a TV, a rather tired couch and some dated furniture. What was a nice touch, was a magazine left in the room. I thought it a little strange that it had a feature celebrating the life of Ken Loach (Corrie) then I noticed the date on the cover September 2010. Oh well, it will serve as a history book I suppose. Another thing that amazed me was in the hotel guide left in the room, there is a price list for all the items that will be charged if you choose to steal anything. Well I noticed that they wanted £35 for the bath robes which I had not seen in the room. Not wishing to be charged for these, I phoned reception and asked where our were. The response was "we do not put these in the room" , so why tell me I could be charged for them? Oh, and if you fancy the plastic tray that the coffee and tea is on, that will set you back £35. I suggest you try a boot sale first. The duvet might be a snip at £55 but you may have trouble getting this past reception. I have never seen this in a hotel before, but it gave us a laugh.
We decided to head for the pool and the changing rooms were a bit dated but okay. The pool area was quite nice, although the corner where my sun bed was had a build up of hair and other stuff (poor cleaning). Rusty hand rails and poor quality furniture in the refreshment area spoiled the experience. We did have a nice cup of tea brought to us however, and some lovely ho bath robes, although I could not get mine on because it was too small. (no I am not fat)
We eventually went back to our room and my wife had a text message asking her if we liked our surprise. Not quite sure what she was on about, we phoned her. She stated that she had requested and paid for a bottle of champagne to be in our room on arrival. She had phoned several time and was promised faithfully that this would be sorted. Anyway, I phoned reception to ask them about the wine and was told they would ring me back. "20 minutes later nothing, so I tried to ring again, but no one answered. So I decided to go down to reception to complain, and all that they could say was "it has been noted" not sure to who or what on but it has been noted. So back to the room I went, and unbelievably, it was another 20 minutes before the wine arrived.
Now time for dinner. We entered the dining room, a little overdressed looking at the others eating, and were shown to a table that had a strip of laminate missing from it exposing the chipboard underneath. The windows were filthy rather spoiling the view of the garden, and a couple of dead flies on the window sill did not add to the ambiance.
We had pre ordered a bottle of wine and a waitress brought it over, offering to pour it. She started to pour it in to my glass, I thought to let me taste it, but no, she topped it up and then served my wife (training issue) One shining light in the restaurant was Lisa who realised that the first girl had not even given us menus and gave very good service with a nice smile. I said she should be in charge, but unfortunately for the hotel she is off to university.
The food was generally okay, my starter of mussels was very nice, but the beef was a strange, made up of bits and pieces pressed together.
We finished off our evening in the bar, 4 star hotel prices in a public bar atmosphere.
Breakfast was okay, good selection but the quality was not brilliant.
Checked out, and absolutely no apologies for the wine incident even though it was the same woman I complained to the evening before.
In summary. a hotel that claims to be 4 star but is clearly not anywhere near that. A hotel that could not even organise a bottle of wine to be in a room on a certain day. Dated furniture, lots of failed double glazed units about the place, dirty windows, poorly trained staff. Unlike Arny, I will not be back.

Room Tip: I think that they have some rooms that have been modernised, pick one of these, although it will not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Woodward01283
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I can only apologise for the apparent lapse in standards. Your points raised have been discussed today with the teams and departments concerned and will formulate the review of our training plans going forward. I can assure you and the readers of this website that your experience with us it not the norm albeit your feedback would suggest the opposite. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback as it is only when I receive comments such as yours we are able to act upon it in order to provide our guests with the product an service they have come to expect from us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed a couple of nights, bedroom was very spacious with a comfortable kingsize bed.Hotel is a mixture of old and new styles, corridors have split level hights which can be difficult for people with walking difficulties.Staff very friendly and helpful, hotel being refurbised room slowly, once completed it should improve the facilities. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review we really appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts.
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I paid a mere £79 through a discount website which may be less than the going rate. At that price it was cracking good value. A comfortable bedroom that was a step up from Premier Inns ( but nothing wrong with those), a very nice restaurant with some very good value food and a lovely terrace outside the bar where you can have a relaxing drink. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I visited the gym. It was fine for a small hotel but don't expect big city leisure centre type equipment. Still, a bonus given that you rarely get any sort of gym for £79.

Bed comfortable. I am only about 5'11"" and I think if I were any taller the bed might have been a bit small. Usual tea, coffee and biscuits.

My only real gripe was the free wi if. I really struggled to get a connection on my Ipad and resorted to my 3G Iphone. Small complaint really.

I stayed on business but felt it was more of a mini holiday.

I would definitely return. Didn't use the spa or have breakfast ( no time) so can't comment on those

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank johntaylorEngland
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review we are glad you had a comfortable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stay here on business from time to time, and have to say prefer it to other hotels in the area.

It has a number of facilities and they must be good as they're all fully booked when I come.

The rooms are comfortable if outdated, and the restaurant beats the Premier inn food that I regularly have to eat, so this is a welcome break.

It is what it is, but for business you get a good deal, wifi included and a choice of where to eat. I will try the facilities one day!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank baileyhawke
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. You must try the Leisure Club on your next stay, hope to see you soon.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked an overnight break through a Groupon deal - pleasantly surprised that the bank holiday weekend was included in the deal. Hotel well signposted from main road with ample parking. Check in process was swift, efficient and friendly. We had book a 'junior executive suite' and the was enormous and gorgeous - spacious, modern and clean. Considering the price we paid through Groupon we were very impressed. Judging by other reviews, it's clear that there is a huge disparity between the old part of the hotel and the new part that we were in.

We headed straight to the Spa - to be honest, it's nothing special and unusually for a spa was full of screaming kids but I guess it was bank holiday.

In the evening, we got changed and went down to the bar for drinks and food. The bar area was pleasant enough. We decided to opt out of the restaurant and eat at the bar instead (there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel). It's a little confusing as there are no menus so we asked at the bar and he handed us a menu which are kept behind the bar for some reason.

We ordered our food and it arrived promptly. We had the choice of eating at the sofas near the bar or in the dining area, the waitress was happy to accommodate our choice. The food was very average - frozen food that you would pick up from Iceland.

Anyway after dinner and drinks we retired to our room where we enjoyed a good nights sleep despite the drunk screaming women next door!

Breakfast the next morning was served in the main restaurant and was very pleasant. We were greeted at the desk and shown to a table. Service was good with tables cleared and tea/coffee top ups readily available. The food was of a decent standard with a good choice.

Based on the Groupon deal, I would consider staying here again

1 Thank Ranbir S
Thank you for your constructive feedback which has certainly been noted. We do hope to see you soon.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I went to the sketchley grange wanting a night away with the girls to refresh. I left more stressed than when I went! Bar manager acting nice but could see the rolling eyes and attitude as he walked away. The rest of the bar staff were fine. Then we went to the Restaurant, the food was over cooked and cold and the service was slow and in satisfying. Would not recommend this place unless you want to be stressed to the hilts!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Chloee975
Please accept my apologies. Your comments will form part of our review and training strategy and I therefore thank you for bringing such matters to my attention. I have also passed your feedback to the persons concerned who also wish to be associated with this apology.

Travellers are raving about these Hinckley hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for a wedding, we requested a room in the newer section- we got a very old dated room which was so old and tired!!!!! The lamp shades were torn and coming off the walls. Room described as a double.... This was a 3/4 size bed!!!!! And the worst if all, check out the bathroom when first in the room, there was human feaces in the toilet- went to complain and they did nothing, hardly no apology... Not bothered! Really nice hotel with lovely function room, shame about the terrible room!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part if the hotel, however this is what we requested and they did not give...
4 Thank Jmb1104
Please could I ask you to make contact with the hotel so I can take some more details regarding your review as I have looked though the duty manager’s daily communication books and cannot find the details as described above and would welcome a moment of your time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 41 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,406 reviews

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!