“Spa Day at the hotel”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Spa Day at the hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Purchased voucher for myself & sister to have a relaxing luxurious spa day. The hotel itself needed some 'touches' like perhaps flowers or a bowl of fruit maybe - anything really, for a 4* hotel you would expect these little touches. there had been a terrible leak so the waiting area was quite a mess although nobody explained why until we looked up and saw the obvious damage to the ceiling.Young work experience lads appeared to be running the place without any supervision. The massage itself was pretty good although impersonal (wasn't introduced to our masseur's who appeared once the receptionist had shown us into the treatment room and asked us to prepare ourselves). As we left the spa part to go and have lunch in the main hotel, was shouted to for our keys by one of the work experience lads in not a very pleasant manor.We wanted to have a nice early lazy lunch in the sun so were the first to arrive at the bar. Had to wait quite some time before anybody came (20 mins) and then he seemed to keep avoiding us until we asked him to take our order! He turned out to be quite pleasant once he finally took notice of us. Ordered sandwiches but had to wait just under 1 hour for the sandwiches to be served!! - No apology or anything and served by the same bar man. By now, a few other people had arrived and appeared to be served by a suited waiter, not sure why this could have been though!! The food was nice - average but unfortunately not what we had ordered! I ordered a toasted brie/bacon & cranberry panini. I received a cheddar & bacon toasted french stick!! Too hungy to complain and certainly didn't want to wait another hour. The coffee was served with a bowl of lumpy white sugar and no spoon to stir the drinks and in the afternoon, the tea was served with brown sugar and a jug with very little milk to the point where the guy serving the tea (in his 'shorts n' tee shirt' ) even commented that there wasn't much milk and he may have to bring more!!! Not sure why he didn't just bring enough milk in the first place!! He didn't know how much it was so I suggested he go find out and let me know which he did! Considering we were the first to arrive for lunch, the sides were very untidy and the tables unclean! The jug of water on the side was warm (asked for iced water but was told there wan't any) and the plastic cups were used for children to play with in the pool and then left on the side to be used!
The facilities in the spa area were quite nice but the whole place required some senior management guidance and some personal touches to 'pretty' the place up! Shame really because the complete experience could have been 100% better under a decent management team. Work experence lads are not really appropriate for a spa - especially without supervision or guide lines.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louisa02
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good Morning,

Please accept our apologies for the unforeseen leek experienced during your recent visit with us
and for the work experience gentlemen who clearly marred your visit, although I can assure you that due to health and safety restrictions both work experience who were there for the day were most definitely supervision. In terms of the food service I have spoken to our restaurant manager who wishes to be associated with my apology.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We went with a Groupon specifically purchased for my boyfriends birthday as a nice relaxing break, there was never any information given about check in time (we checked the website several times) and so when we got there we had to wait.
On check-in we booked a room at the restaurant and found our way to our room which was one of the modern spacious ones. Shortly after we headed to the spa facilities, which as previous reviews have mentioned are a bit like a glorified leisure centre with a rope down the middle that kids aren't allowed to cross. Everything just seemed a little bit grubby. I went and read my book in the adult conservatory area which whilst quiet and tranquil required huddling under a towel to leave you with any form of body heat.
The bath in the room was one of the great features and after this we went to the restaurant.
The restaurant is terrible, after being seated and having a drinks order taken we waited around 30 minutes for our order to be taken and unlike the other tables in the area were not offered bread or water, my salad which was advertised as having anchovies contained three anchovies swimming in a sea of dressing trying to avoid the raw garlic clove icebergs. The beef was o.k but there was very little veg on offer and the desert was o.k. The restaurant just seemed to think it was more fancy than it was and we just weren't impressed with the service, we also had to hunt down a waitress to tell them we were leaving and to add it to our room bill.
All in all it was just about o.k but considering the standards they are clearly trying to set themselves it could be so much better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vicky L
Thank you for your recent review I was pleased to read that you were happy with your room and I understand your disappointment that the leisure facility is not adult only, however, we do have specific family times which are clearly advertised. I have read the managers feedback from around the dates of your visit and I am unable to locate any comments regarding your restaurant visit and therefore I did wonder if you had mentioned any of your issues raised in your review whilst you were at the hotel as we would of been only too pleased to address this for you immediately.

Travellers are raving about these Hinckley hotels

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

After reading the reviews left on the Sketchley Grange Hotel I was very apprehensive in staying there although it was for just one night. Friends had booked the Hotel not myself. The bedroom was large, well furnished, clean with all facilities, the bathroom was also excellent. The carpets in the hotel appeared to be all new like much of the furniture and all expensive. Food was 1st Class not a large menu but ample, the wine list was poor for a four star Establishment but ample and not over priced, car parking and access was good.

If there is anything negative I could say is that despite the quality carpets and furniture there was no ambiance or character in this hotel, the dinning room was noisy and laid out like a motor way services but the food certainly didn't reflect that being 1st class.

The hotel lacked signage which is unusual.

Would have no doubts in returning

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views and I am glad that we exceeded your expectations. Unfortunately we live such a busy lifestyle that no everyone has the time to provide us with their feedback for which we greatly appreciate.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed as part of a large party in June. The room, albeit in the new section was huge. 2 king size beds for my husband and I and 2 children. Gardens were lovely and safe for the children to roam. Swimming pool ideal for the children. All in all a good stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write your review. Hope to see you and your family again soon.
SURREY, UK
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hubbie and I stayed here on a deal to get away from it and enjoy the SPA. The Hotel is shown as a 4 star and has two distinct parts of it; the older part of the hotel and the new extension mainly used for conferences. On arrival, we were checked in promptly and allocated a Contemporary Junior Suite on the ground floor overlooking the car park. The room was HUGE, good facilities and bathroom spotless. This could not be said for underneath the bed which was filthy and had clearly not been cleaned out for several months due to the thick grey layer of dust and rose petals/debris underneath. This was mentioned on leaving however, in the meantime, everything else was fine. The Hotel itself seemed to be lacking it's own identity. I lost count of the amount of differing styles of furniture and decor as we wandered through, from cosy to contemporary to outlandish colours in the corridors (bright green) and there clearly still needed some finishing off in the painting/tidying up around the place. The bar area was deserted most of the time. We had lunch there on one occasion and were the only people dining. The Spa is attached to the building but a seperate company running it, ROMANS health & spa (see seperate review). Very helpful staff (thank you Porscha) and nice facilities. We booked into the dual treatment room and had the deluxe pampering package for 2hrs and made full use of the sauna/steam room, pool, jacuzzi etc which was very nice and relaxing. You cannot bill anything to your room as this is, as I said earlier, a seperate company so you have to settle your bill there and then. We did not eat dinner but decided to go out on both nights, once to Simla Indian and the other to Rossini Italian (reviews pending) which were excellent and recommended to us by the local cab drivers. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss. A couple of surly staff members and scrambled eggs which looked a bit green. One of the girls looked a bit taken back when I asked for a banana for cereal, but hurried off to get some! Overall, nice to get away and have a change of scenery, but would not be hurrying back......unless of course you need to use it for a business meeting.

Room Tip: Ask for a contemporary suite in the new part of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BLUELAGOON1
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review you have raised some interesting and valid points all of which have been noted, I would however welcome the opportunity to discuss some of your comments made via a telephone conversation and would appreciate a moment of your time. Please could I ask you to make contact as it is important for me to understand your feedback further.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was looking for a hotel to take my wife to on our silver wedding anniversary and found that Groupon were offering a deal on Sketchley Grange. Anyway, I checked the web site and the hotel looked really good, and I thought it would be nice to spend the afternoon there relaxing around the pool as well. However, as this was a special occasion, I phoned them and paid an extra £45 for a particular room that I had seen on the web site. This was not too much of an issue, but I was really pestered for the extra money to secure the room. We arrived at about 2:30 pm in the afternoon and entered in to the reception area and must admit, I had a bad feeling about the place. Anyway, we eventually found our room after the receptionist obviously sent us the long way round, and low and behold, it really was not as good as the picture on the web site. There was a nice view of the countryside, slightly spoiled by a warehouse next door and the fact that the window had a failed unit causing it to mist up. In fact both windows in the bathroom and one window in the sitting room was misted up. The skirting board was dusty and there was confetti on the floor left by the previous guests (nice touch) The bathroom was large with a big shower, but mould in the grout and split sealant around the bath rather took the shine off it. The sitting room had a TV, a rather tired couch and some dated furniture. What was a nice touch, was a magazine left in the room. I thought it a little strange that it had a feature celebrating the life of Ken Loach (Corrie) then I noticed the date on the cover September 2010. Oh well, it will serve as a history book I suppose. Another thing that amazed me was in the hotel guide left in the room, there is a price list for all the items that will be charged if you choose to steal anything. Well I noticed that they wanted £35 for the bath robes which I had not seen in the room. Not wishing to be charged for these, I phoned reception and asked where our were. The response was "we do not put these in the room" , so why tell me I could be charged for them? Oh, and if you fancy the plastic tray that the coffee and tea is on, that will set you back £35. I suggest you try a boot sale first. The duvet might be a snip at £55 but you may have trouble getting this past reception. I have never seen this in a hotel before, but it gave us a laugh.
We decided to head for the pool and the changing rooms were a bit dated but okay. The pool area was quite nice, although the corner where my sun bed was had a build up of hair and other stuff (poor cleaning). Rusty hand rails and poor quality furniture in the refreshment area spoiled the experience. We did have a nice cup of tea brought to us however, and some lovely ho bath robes, although I could not get mine on because it was too small. (no I am not fat)
We eventually went back to our room and my wife had a text message asking her if we liked our surprise. Not quite sure what she was on about, we phoned her. She stated that she had requested and paid for a bottle of champagne to be in our room on arrival. She had phoned several time and was promised faithfully that this would be sorted. Anyway, I phoned reception to ask them about the wine and was told they would ring me back. "20 minutes later nothing, so I tried to ring again, but no one answered. So I decided to go down to reception to complain, and all that they could say was "it has been noted" not sure to who or what on but it has been noted. So back to the room I went, and unbelievably, it was another 20 minutes before the wine arrived.
Now time for dinner. We entered the dining room, a little overdressed looking at the others eating, and were shown to a table that had a strip of laminate missing from it exposing the chipboard underneath. The windows were filthy rather spoiling the view of the garden, and a couple of dead flies on the window sill did not add to the ambiance.
We had pre ordered a bottle of wine and a waitress brought it over, offering to pour it. She started to pour it in to my glass, I thought to let me taste it, but no, she topped it up and then served my wife (training issue) One shining light in the restaurant was Lisa who realised that the first girl had not even given us menus and gave very good service with a nice smile. I said she should be in charge, but unfortunately for the hotel she is off to university.
The food was generally okay, my starter of mussels was very nice, but the beef was a strange, made up of bits and pieces pressed together.
We finished off our evening in the bar, 4 star hotel prices in a public bar atmosphere.
Breakfast was okay, good selection but the quality was not brilliant.
Checked out, and absolutely no apologies for the wine incident even though it was the same woman I complained to the evening before.
In summary. a hotel that claims to be 4 star but is clearly not anywhere near that. A hotel that could not even organise a bottle of wine to be in a room on a certain day. Dated furniture, lots of failed double glazed units about the place, dirty windows, poorly trained staff. Unlike Arny, I will not be back.

Room Tip: I think that they have some rooms that have been modernised, pick one of these, although it will not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Woodward01283
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I can only apologise for the apparent lapse in standards. Your points raised have been discussed today with the teams and departments concerned and will formulate the review of our training plans going forward. I can assure you and the readers of this website that your experience with us it not the norm albeit your feedback would suggest the opposite. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback as it is only when I receive comments such as yours we are able to act upon it in order to provide our guests with the product an service they have come to expect from us.
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed a couple of nights, bedroom was very spacious with a comfortable kingsize bed.Hotel is a mixture of old and new styles, corridors have split level hights which can be difficult for people with walking difficulties.Staff very friendly and helpful, hotel being refurbised room slowly, once completed it should improve the facilities. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review we really appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 40 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,452 reviews

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!